What's new

Know when to hold ‘em know when to fold em

Keep or replace my old POS?

• Replace my old pos with a new pos?

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Fix and keep running my old pod?

Votes: 42 66.7%

• Total voters
So…. What to do what do. Economy is crashing. There wasn’t a market for 6.4 trucks when things were going good.
What would you do it if was 2008 and you had a 2004 F250 with a blown 6.0

Would you really want to be swapping an engine into that truck in 2010?

It's not gonna be new nor will it be old enough to be cool by the time you get to it. I'd fire sale it.

What would Projectjunkie do with a cleanish straightish powerstruggle that needs engine work?
Scrap it after spending 50hr selling the wheels and bald tires because he knows what he gots. :laughing:

Seems like a perfect candidate for "just needs one injector, I have a new one right here in the glove box":flipoff2:
I couldn’t do that to someone else. I’d burn their house down if they did it to me. My brothers common rail Cummins was one of those, had 3 torched cylinders he found after injectors didn’t fix the problem. I’ll take my loss on it

I couldn’t do that to someone else. I’d burn their house down if they did it to me. My brothers common rail Cummins was one of those, had 3 torched cylinders he found after injectors didn’t fix the problem. I’ll take my loss on it
I wouldn't do it to a rando buyer but there's maybe half a dozen specific people I'd happily do that to. :laughing:

Last edited:
What would you do it if was 2008 and you had a 2004 F250 with a blown 6.0

Would you really want to be swapping an engine into that truck in 2010?

It's not gonna be new nor will it be old enough to be cool by the time you get to it. I'd fire sale it.

Scrap it after spending 50hr selling the wheels and bald tires because he knows what he gots. :laughing:
I’d probably be agonizing over the question of what to do in 2010 same as I am now because that’s what I do. Accept the loss of the cash I had in it and walk away. Or spend more time and money on it trying not to have lost everything on it.

I respect that and operate the same way.
Rebuild what's broken and don't waste money replacing everything. Truck is worthless broken so at a minimum I would iran and sell it. If it's super trashed might not be worth it but I would make a effort to get something out of it.

I respect that and operate the same way.
Rebuild what's broken and don't waste money replacing everything. Truck is worthless broken so at a minimum I would iran and sell it. If it's super trashed might not be worth it but I would make an effort to get something out of it.
It’s not super trashed. It’s pretty straight and clean. It’s a nice lariat that everything works except that pesky #8 piston. No rust. Side of the drivers seat not worn off.

The problem with 6.4’s is 6.4 math. They are the most expensive diesel engine to fix or replace. Because of their reputation a running 6.4 truck isn’t worth much. A long block replacement costs more than a running truck is worth. So a normal person who doesn’t do their own work would legitimately be looking at spending $20K to fix a truck that’s probably realistically worth $15K.

But I have resources available to me not everyone has. If I really set my mind to it I could put new pistons in it and seal it up for about $2,500 bucks. Lift the cab myself, go through the engine at a legit machine shop for cost, no mark up.

It’s not super trashed. It’s pretty straight and clean. It’s a nice lariat that everything works except that pesky #8 piston. No rust. Side of the drivers seat not worn off.

The problem with 6.4’s is 6.4 math. They are the most expensive diesel engine to fix or replace. Because of their reputation a running 6.4 truck isn’t worth much. A long block replacement costs more than a running truck is worth. So a normal person who doesn’t do their own work would legitimately be looking at spending $20K to fix a truck that’s probably realistically worth $15K.

But I have resources available to me not everyone has. If I really set my mind to it I could put new pistons in it and seal it up for about $2,500 bucks. Lift the cab myself, go through the engine at a legit machine shop for cost, no mark up.
How much does a core go for? Find a core, combine with your engine to make one runner.

Surely you can find a core that has at least the one good piston you need. :laughing:

1714739096832.png

How much does a core go for? Find a core, combine with your engine to make one runner.

Surely you can find a core that has at least the one good piston you need. :laughing:
I wouldn’t put stock pistons back in it no matter what. Stock is a shit design that invites broken pistons apparently. If I took it apart I’d be putting Mahle modified pistons in it.

Dead honestly dude if it sits long enough I will buy it from you. I just have no idea when it will end up penciling out financially. I'll even drive it back to my place for the meme :flipoff2:

As far as the actual question, doing any 6.4 fixes is just setting another pile of money on fire no matter how you look at it. Say you get it all back together with the upgraded pistons. When the turbos go out, there are no virgin cores left on the face of the planet. They're a dead platform. Never going to be as good as it was 10 miles before it blew.

It's either cummins swap it or move it down the road imo. Preferably down to the edgewood area is all I'm saying:smokin:

Dead honestly dude if it sits long enough I will buy it from you. I just have no idea when it will end up penciling out financially. I'll even drive it back to my place for the meme :flipoff2:

As far as the actual question, doing any 6.4 fixes is just setting another pile of money on fire no matter how you look at it. Say you get it all back together with the upgraded pistons. When the turbos go out, there are no virgin cores left on the face of the planet. They're a dead platform. Never going to be as good as it was 10 miles before it blew.

It's either cummins swap it or move it down the road imo. Preferably down to the edgewood area is all I'm saying:smokin:
For $4,000 bucks I’ll deliver it to Edgewood in October 😉

I picked the name project junkie 20 years ago, the last thing I need now is a bunch of stuff hanging over my head.... since you've bought yourself a 6.7 replacement and already have a centurion, I'd unload the 6.4 truck, possibly with the 12v if it was favorable to you, or hold it back for the Centurion.

I foresee stricter emissions issues in the future, like 50 state inspections ca type shit, I wouldn't want to dump a ton of time and money into building the perfect truck to last 20 years, and have it red tagged in 6 years by commies. You may have some leeway with putting a 96 12v into a 93 C350 but I think putting a non emissions engine in an 08 truck is betting on a future with less infringements :mad3:

I'd clean it up, list it as a cummins candidate advertised in freer states, Idaho Montana Wyoming etc. I'd offer the engine as an additional option, at a higher than you think is fair price point, and if it doesn't sell, keep it for the big bronco.

Also consider a partial part out before selling it. If you've got $1500 worth of tuners and gauges on it, that can be pulled off, and it still runs the same, sell that shit separate.

If it's really a clean truck, the kind of truck that's worth swapping a cummins into, spend 3 hours washing and vacuuming it so it pops in the pictures.

Don't let the things you own, own you

Then find a fucked up house to remodel. That's what I'd do:laughing:
So the answer is find a 6.7 Cummins to put in it not the mech 5.9 you have, have an absolute powerhouse that will be reliable once you work the bugs out. Once the bugs are worked out dump your newer truck, sounds like the racecar rides on the semi now anyways

So the answer is find a 6.7 Cummins to put in it not the mech 5.9 you have, have an absolute powerhouse that will be reliable once you work the bugs out. Once the bugs are worked out dump your newer truck, sounds like the racecar rides on the semi now anyways
That’s too much money. Back to the 20 ish thousand to buy and install a 6.7 CR Cummins. The only hold up on the 12V swap is that I already have the engine, and still need about $8,000 bucks in parts to marry the two and make everything work like it’s supposed to.

That’s too much money. Back to the 20 ish thousand to buy and install a 6.7 CR Cummins. The only hold up on the 12V swap is that I already have the engine, and still need about $8,000 bucks in parts to marry the two and make everything work like it’s supposed to.
So you're willing to sell it for $4k, $24k for a mint lariat 6.7 Fummins sounds like a good deal.

So you're willing to sell it for $4k, $24k for a mint lariat 6.7 Fummins sounds like a good deal.
If I just had that kinda money laying around and that’s what I wanted for my main truck. Yeah. Now I’ve got a pretty sweet 19 6.7 that goes over 700 miles between fuel stops. I’m kinda partial to it already

You are in a tough spot. This is a conversation the kids and I have all the time.

One son has a V10 excursion with a dead cylinder. To sell it as is, not worth anything. To drop a used engine in it, we probably would barely break even.

Some vehicles are just not worth it. Has to be something sentimental or something you want to build and keep forever.

It is really too bad. Not like there are a ton of those engines sitting around used

If I just had that kinda money laying around and that’s what I wanted for my main truck. Yeah. Now I’ve got a pretty sweet 19 6.7 that goes over 700 miles between fuel stops. I’m kinda partial to it already
I understand that, knew at one time the 6.4 was your baby

Meanwhile over in shitbox land anything that moves is worth a grand or more and 90s engines are rarely over $500 a pop unless you're talking something highly desirable for swaps. :flipoff2:

You are in a tough spot. This is a conversation the kids and I have all the time.

One son has a V10 excursion with a dead cylinder. To sell it as is, not worth anything. To drop a used engine in it, we probably would barely break even.

Some vehicles are just not worth it. Has to be something sentimental or something you want to build and keep forever.

It is really too bad. Not like there are a ton of those engines sitting around used
I can’t find a runner for an acceptable amount of money. I don’t trust an unknown condition one off eBay for 7 or 8 thousand bucks.

I’m sure this thread has been annoying for some but appreciated the being able to bounce the ideas off of everyone because I get to hear what I truly think in my answers. The recurring theme I have is “not worth it” “not worth that” “I can’t justify that”

So that’s the real answer

I can’t find a runner for an acceptable amount of money. I don’t trust an unknown condition one off eBay for 7 or 8 thousand bucks.

I’m sure this thread has been annoying for some but appreciated the being able to bounce the ideas off of everyone because I get to hear what I truly think in my answers. The recurring theme I have is “not worth it” “not worth that” “I can’t justify that”

So that’s the real answer
We all have those struggles. It is easier to solve other people's problems than our own.

It's not like you have to make a decision today. But for me, at this point in my life, it hurts me, stresses me out, to see projects sitting and rotting away, More than it hurts me to sell them and cheap prices.

Have also fixed plenty of vehicles where it made no sense, made no money, but it seemed like the right thing to do.

My plan is working :stirthepot::laughing:

We all have those struggles. It is easier to solve other people's problems than our own.

It's not like you have to make a decision today. But for me, at this point in my life, it hurts me, stresses me out, to see projects sitting and rotting away, More than it hurts me to sell them and cheap prices.

Have also fixed plenty of vehicles where it made no sense, made no money, but it seemed like the right thing to do.
I had this feeling on my sons '65 F100, had Y block and needed OD trans bad with 28" tires.
No OD trans options for Y block outside of $$$$ adapters and $$$$ manual trans.

It hurt us to send it down the road but the specific truck was not nice enough (rust, body damage) to make it worth more.

Solid it for $6k and got a '02 5.9 2500 for $2k more, still a Dodge but checked all the boxes...

Top Back Refresh