What's new

JK out west trip planning, upgardes?

Dmaxguy

Member Number
Loc
WI
Working on planning a trip west this spring. Moab, Colorado, and...... Going to leave the truggy at home. Plan is to trailer the grocery getter 08 Rubicon 2 door 6 speed. Currently has 34" KM2's with flares and no lift. Want to run some trails, do some hiking, light camping, sightseeing, etc. Need to keep it somewhat tame as to the level of wheeling. Wife won't put up with too much hard core, not going to be a wheeling only trip, don't really want to trash the Jeep, that is what the other rig is for. Just want to get away get out and see some stuff.

Have a slide-in for the truck for accommodations most nights.

Planning on bringing the hardtop at this point, don't have a soft top and don't want one. We park it in the garage from Memorial day to at least Labor day with the top and doors off. Was thinking the hardtop will keep things dry and in place on the trailer and provide cover if cold. We can take it on and off in a couple of minutes. Might pick up a rescue top also.

Going to add:

Aluminum front bumper and winch
Rear bumper, not sure of material
Beefed up tire carrier
Some skid plates

I have a lot of seat time in my other rig and jeeps in the past, almost none in this rig off road though. Questions are this:

What am i going to break first?
Do the front shafts snap like toothpicks when put up against a rock or can sensible driving make them go just fine?
Worth the cost to upgrade axle shafts for a vehicle that will be put back into regular service as weekend run around car when we get back?
Control arms? Don't really want to lift it but a good 2.5 kit could be done. I like the low stance it has now.
Ball joints?

Suggestions??

Scott.

You won't break anything unless you plan on playing rock bouncer. I threw a 2.5" Terraflex spacer lift and 37's on my wifes 16 JKUR when we first bought it and I gave it a proper test at the local off-road park following around a linked YJ with 38's on the hard trails. Other that fucking up the stock trans crossmember, tweaking the tie rod and decreasing the capacity of the fuel tank by a gallon or so with the skid plate bashing, I had zero issues with the Jeep. It was actually pretty impressive IMO.

20180714_135224.jpg

Nice. Kind of thinking with the short wheelbase, some body protection and the bigger tires i could scrape myself along well enough. Any alignment issues with a spacer lift?

Poser shot after the tires went on a couple of years ago...

photo38018.jpg

Nice. Kind of thinking with the short wheelbase, some body protection and the bigger tires i could scrape myself along well enough. Any alignment issues with a spacer lift?

Poser shot after the tires went on a couple of years ago...

The Jeep wandered a bit more with the spacer lift but still wasn't bad. My wife has driven it daily since new and never once complained about the handling. It has since gotten a Synergy long arm kit, a bunch of Artec axle bling and 40's. :laughing:

Your list sounds pretty good. Amor and recovery stuff will get you out of bad spots, while bigger tires and lift just get you further into trouble. :laughing:​​​​​​

As lame as the broverlanders have made them, my wife got me some of those traction boards and they are pretty badass. I've used the same pair on my sxs, 4runner and F350.

You should be good to go, a rubicon on 34's with someone that knows how to drive off road should not have any real issues on the mild trails.

Sounds like a great trip. I have rented Jeeps a few times out west and never had any problems but stayed on mild trails. One was a stock 2dr Rubicon. Anything sketchy freaks my wife out so she won't get in my buggy.

My friend's 2012 JK Rubicon 4 door has metric 34's, 2.5" spacer lift, bumpers and a winch and is otherwise pretty stock. It is easily capable of most of the trails in Moab and the Canyonlands. It pulled my 1700 lbs teardrop through Elephant Hill. We did have to winch up Bobby's hole, though, it was just too loose. It probably would have made it without the trailer in tow. A 2 Door will be even easier to maneuver. Lots of places to go and incredible scenery to see on the mild and mid level trails in that area!

Like the others have said I think you'll be fine! I was out there two years ago as a first-timer and rented, we flew out. I plan to go back with mine sometime next year..... that's the plan but life does kick you in the balls sometimes.

Top Back Refresh