What's new

Jeep TJ Front Stretch vs Rear Stretch

gnarbicon

Member Number
I know that amount of work required to accomplish both the Rear and Front Axle Stretches, so I am not looking for which one is easier or which one is more cost effective, best bang for buck, which you would prefer to do, etc..... I am looking at actual benefits from a wheeling perspective.

From what I have found, the 4.0L TJ basically has a 50/50 weight distribution from factory. That will change some with modifications, but assume it is still close to 50/50. Hill climbs the weight will shift to the rear, down hills and heavy braking the weight will shift to the front.

So, from a wheeling perspective on a TJ (*not an LJ) which would provide the best benefit (and why) in a rock crawling perspective.
5" Front Stretch, rear axle stays close to stock
vs
5" Rear Stretch, Front axle stays close to stock.

*Reason I am excluding the LJ is because the extra 5" on the aft side of the LJ changes the departure angle and thus may add additional benefit to the rear stretch on an LJ.

Again, I know the amount of work required to do a 5" front stretch vs a rear stretch, "How" to actually accomplish is not part of the discussion nor is effort vs benefit nor cost vs benefit, just strictly looking for benefits/gains of each.

One benefit is the wheel base will be longer

A great departure angle means nothing if you cant get your front over it...
However, if it were mine I would stretch the rear and chop as much as I could off the front. Too much shit to move upfront unless you go full hydro.

I'd say front stretch.

But gonna be a pain to build if you're retaining the steering box.

I agree with front stretch. This will move some weight farther up the hill and it's lower weight to help with center of gravity.

I stretched in both directions. Would like the front axle out farther but I like the steering box for highway driving and am not ready to give that up.

I know you were not talking LJ, but I had the setup when it was a TJ.

IMG_0041 (2).jpg

I moved the Steering box ahead quite a bit. I think the front axle is 4.5" forward.

View recent photos.jpg

Top Back Refresh