What's new

JAM NUT WITH CASTLE NUT WITHOUT COTTER PIN; REASONABLE SOLUTION?

CDA 455 II

ANFAQUE2
Member Number
Loc
No Country For Old Men
Can a jam nut accomplish the same function as a castle nut without a cotter pin?
Specifically; the TREs on my Bronco.

I have two brand new tie rods sitting on my desk; I hand tightened the driverside TRE to the passenger side tie rod.
Here's a pic of what it looks like on the Bronco:
1662866351750.jpeg

Just like the TREs on the Bronco now; said brand new hand tightened TRE castle nut is threaded well beyond the cotter pin hole.:confused:
The TRE that bolts to the pitman arm doesn't have that issue, though.

Can I just use a jam nut to secure said castle nut and call it good?
Maybe Loctite said jam nut.

Or am I missing something?

washer under castle nut
Yeah; I was playing with that as well.

My concern with that is the washer giving way/expanding when tightening the castle nut.
I was in Ace Hardware an hour looking for a washer that fits snug enough against the shoulder where the taper begins/thread ends.

I'm going to give it another try.:beer:

They use jam nuts in aircraft. I’ve never liked them, but they are approved for castlenut locations. I would go with washers under the nut. If you use grade 8 washers, their not going to squeeze.

No; I carry them because I'm a former desert rat who doesn't want to die from dehydration.

The tan and OD cans represent my two sons and I.
The blue 6L cans represent water for cooking and other stuff; you mentioned one.

Just joking. Kinda blocking the rad.

Are you sure that the tre tapers are correct?
Good question.
I altered the taper on the knuckles when I did the TRE flip; so those would definitely come into scrutiny.

However; the taper hole where the driverside tie rod bolts to the passenger side, as well as the pitman arm taper hole, remained untouched/unmodified.

The TRE that bolts to the pitman arm doesn't have that problem.
Both tie rods are for an '80 to '97 F-250/350; so it's not like it's mismatched.

Hard flat washer. Grade 8 washers available at most good hardware stores. On a budget but have good drill bits? Make one out of an old leaf spring leaf.

Good luck drilling leaf spring :laughing:

I used CAT top lock on mine and they have not fallen off yet. Usually have metric sizes on hand at dealers.

Top Back Refresh