What's new

I’m stuck in a driveway

Time to chain up.
Back in the 70s, friend and I worked for 2 diffrent security patrol compnies, we had contracts to rescue any of our people in case they got stuck in snow storms. Perfect situation we were both off, night started off fairly easy, as it went on the roads got slicker and more iced up, so we chained up one on the front and one on the back tires on my Land cruiser, about 2 am I had all 4 chained and was calling it a night, We were headed home down Central in front of the university we were the only thing mobile. There was an APD officer who had wisely parked in the parking who really stared at us as we went crunching by:flipoff2:

That video came up on my YouTube “shorts” just now. Big Brother is watching.
Came up on my phone two different times within 15 mins after seeing this post from my work surface.

:grinpimp:

20231212_203223.jpg
That thing is always on the lift. KTM anyways... :homer:

I'm in the STL area. I plow and salt commercially. I had to salt most of my places in reverse this morning. If I didn't do it this way, I had no traction and couldn't steer or drive. Roads were shit this am but by noon the temp had risen above freezing and things were fine. I salted one 13 acre facility(zero tolerance) 3 times in less than 12 hours...cha ching!

Back in the 70s, friend and I worked for 2 diffrent security patrol compnies, we had contracts to rescue any of our people in case they got stuck in snow storms. Perfect situation we were both off, night started off fairly easy, as it went on the roads got slicker and more iced up, so we chained up one on the front and one on the back tires on my Land cruiser, about 2 am I had all 4 chained and was calling it a night, We were headed home down Central in front of the university we were the only thing mobile. There was an APD officer who had wisely parked in the parking who really stared at us as we went crunching by:flipoff2:
Back in '95 we had what people around here called a "blizzard" that dumped a couple feet of snow. Back then I had my '84 Ramcharger with a LockRight and chains on the rear. The roads were closed, even I-64, but I was out playing in it because you couldn't stop that thing. I want to get a set of chains for my 37s on the current Ramcharger, but haven't bothered to do it yet. Maybe next year when the 2500 is paid off. :laughing:

Passed this mess on the way home. Looks like some new renters just moved in. It had been raining for a few days.
20240122_153742.jpg

lol they are 100% better than all seasons. I get it your too cheap to have an extra set laying around.
I’m too lazy to go get a set and put them on. I even have a studded set. :laughing:
Which is strange as snow tires mounted on rims are found pretty cheap used.
That’s why I have any at all.

I’ve run multiple sets over the years. There’s not enough difference to be worth going out of my way for so now they get mixed in with all the other tires in the piles.

I bet they’re better on hard pack snow and fozen lakes and shit (I.e the terrain they use in the marketing materials) but they just don’t move the needle enough for commuting.

I’m too lazy to go get a set and put them on. I even have a studded set. :laughing:

That’s why I have any at all.

I’ve run multiple sets over the years. There’s not enough difference to be worth going out of my way for so now they get mixed in with all the other tires in the piles.

I bet they’re better on hard pack snow and fozen lakes and shit (I.e the terrain they use in the marketing materials) but they just don’t move the needle enough for commuting.

Yes they do lol

Experience: More than 20 years driving in fucking canuickstan winters on every sort of tire.

old dried out snows are worse than fresh all seasons of reasonable tread pattern
got several sets of snows that are 20+ years old and they're all crackly
I'll burn through them in time but they aren't "good"

old dried out snows are worse than fresh all seasons of reasonable tread pattern
Old dried out all seasons would be worse than fresh all seasons as well. It's not like that's any kind of surprise.
got several sets of snows that are 20+ years old and they're all crackly
I'll burn through them in time but they aren't "good"
Can't disagree on tires that old as I haven't had ancient snows on my cars, but IMO when compared to similar age/tread depth tire all season tires, snow tires have noticably better snow/ice traction than an equivalent age/tread depth all season from day 1 to about 5 years old (ie: a 5 year old 6/32nds snow tire would grip better on snow/ice than a 5 year old 6/32nds all season tire).

At 5 years old my tires have generally been worn enough to get replaced, so I don't have any expience with snow tires older than that.

Aaron Z

I've got a set of 4 studded snows on my shitbox Miata that are dated 05. Got them in great shape for 60 bucks for the whole set last year. They've been kicking ass. I like studded tires on cars for winters here. Never have put studded tires on a truck, but I usually have somewhat heavy 4wd trucks.

pretty sure chains are somewhat illegal here too
I still got them but only use them when I'm stuck (or know I'll be fucked anyways going into the situation, like my driveway is sometimes)
Postal service runs chains on their LLVs here. Never would have believed it if I didn't see one at the gas station wearing chains. :laughing:

Old dried out all seasons would be worse than fresh all seasons as well. It's not like that's any kind of surprise.
Lucky for you I'm comparing used snow tires to used all-seasons. :flipoff2:

Experience: More than 20 years driving in fucking canuickstan winters on every sort of tire.
I don't give a shit about your cold communist shithole.

As someone who, when the situation demands it, can drive like an adult I am telling you that traction on ice and "proper snow" is not in any way the limiting factor in my ability to get places in the winter. Being able to find pavement and put power down rather than hydroplane on the churned up slush on the roads is the limiting factor. And snow tires don't really do much better than all seasons at this.

If I lived down miles of gravel road that iced over in the winter I might run snows but I don't so I won't.

maybe
15s are seemingly going the way of 14s, so I find myself being less picky
The last 2 have had exposed belts on the shoulder of 2/4 tires (one came that way and got new tires, the other the car tended to chew through both shoulders on the tire and I ignored it).

Aaron Z

Top Back Refresh