What's new

I’m stuck in a driveway

Wasn't worth the deductible to even think about going into the office today. My driveway is still a skating rink. Everything out here in Franklin county is basically closed until afternoon or not open at all today...

I wouldn't give a second thought to going out in those conditions if I felt like it. Probably part of the problem; not thinking:flipoff2:

I get this kind of conditions all the time and never have a problem... I just drive like a bitch in 4wd. Although when safe, I give a traction test to see how bad it is.

<edit> Here is a picture from early January that I just drove out to check conditions:
Jan6WW.jpg

No fucks given. Drove at a reasonable speed... but faster than the 'offroad' trucks I passed a bit earlier.

Last edited:
Wasn't worth the deductible to even think about going into the office today. My driveway is still a skating rink. Everything out here in Franklin county is basically closed until afternoon or not open at all today...
Yeah my buddy out there said it’s bad and stayed home.

So what was so important that made you leave the house in the first place?
I usually check the forecast but didn’t this time :homer: our streets never get cleared off and I know once out the main roads are good. I figured my driveway would be a good test for traction and I didn’t spin a tire going up it. Once on the downhill main road in here I knew it was too late and gravity took over so I just kept it out of the ditches.

Should I have left my house? Nope, :homer:but what fun is in that :laughing:

Besides, it’s good to keep your ice driving skills sharp, never know when you’re going to need them :flipoff2:

A set of snow tires and your the man on the ice.
They're better than all seasons but they're not enough to deserve the praise they get let alone the magic silver bullet portrayal every dumbass on the "mainstream internet" gives them.

The difference is pretty big on cold dry hard pack powder but practically nonexistant for your typical churned snowy slush commute conditions. I wouldn't bother unless I lived on a gravel road.

I would have put on chains and gone out driving just to gloat at all the people who don't have chains. :laughing:

I used to do that in RI when it snowed/iced. I'd hop in my TJ crawler and drive wherever I had to to go play in the snow. I used to drive up to Athol regularly in the winter to snow wheel with my buddy Bob and his diesel CJ8. Those were some fun times!

I should’ve stayed home but noooo, I figured I could get out right? Yeah, what’s a little icy road right?

I did good out of my private developments (not a subdivision) and made my way down close to the main hwy were off of. It was very greasy and got a bit spooky on the last leg downhill.

As I was driving down it the truck lost all traction and I got it to the shoulder and stopped. Then I backed up to try and cross over to a gravel driveway that doglegs down to the main hwy. nope, truck got sideways then backwards and I tapped a trash can then got it stopped and backed up into the last driveway down the hill.

Here I set waiting for the temps to warm up for this to melt off some. The hwy is clear but very icy to get down to it on the last leg. Its raining now so maybe it’ll melt some of this off or I’m camping out in my truck today. :laughing::homer:

IMG_2876.jpeg
Would normal studded snow tires work in that?

Or is the ice layer too thick?

The ice is fucked. This freezing rain shit ain't even the same game as snow and ice.:homer: We just took the excursion to town and saw a rollover and 2 spinouts in the 1st mile. Once into civilization the roads are salted though so that's good.

Top Back Refresh