What's new

I’m stuck in a driveway

1705948787583.jpeg
That's the factory weight reduction package right there!:flipoff2:

They're better than all seasons but they're not enough to deserve the praise they get let alone the magic silver bullet portrayal every dumbass on the "mainstream internet" gives them.

The difference is pretty big on cold dry hard pack powder but practically nonexistant for your typical churned snowy slush commute conditions. I wouldn't bother unless I lived on a gravel road.
lol they are 100% better than all seasons. I get it your too cheap to have an extra set laying around. Which is strange as snow tires mounted on rims are found pretty cheap used.

I used to do that in RI when it snowed/iced. I'd hop in my TJ crawler and drive wherever I had to to go play in the snow. I used to drive up to Athol regularly in the winter to snow wheel with my buddy Bob and his diesel CJ8. Those were some fun times!
Dont lie, nobody willingly goes to Asshole Mass :flipoff2:

I don’t think unstudded snow tires will make that much of difference if pure ice :confused:

Studded, yes, man on the ice!
You would be amazed what snow tires without studs will do on the ice. We plowed a pond off and put some on a Volvo wagon and that thing was a beast. Could pit maneuver 4x4 pickups no issue on glare ice and accelerate away lol

I should’ve stayed home but noooo, I figured I could get out right? Yeah, what’s a little icy road right?

I did good out of my private developments (not a subdivision) and made my way down close to the main hwy were off of. It was very greasy and got a bit spooky on the last leg downhill.

As I was driving down it the truck lost all traction and I got it to the shoulder and stopped. Then I backed up to try and cross over to a gravel driveway that doglegs down to the main hwy. nope, truck got sideways then backwards and I tapped a trash can then got it stopped and backed up into the last driveway down the hill.

Here I set waiting for the temps to warm up for this to melt off some. The hwy is clear but very icy to get down to it on the last leg. Its raining now so maybe it’ll melt some of this off or I’m camping out in my truck today. :laughing::homer:

IMG_2876.jpeg
put some drywall screws in your tires, you'll be fine.

You would be amazed what snow tires without studs will do on the ice. We plowed a pond off and put some on a Volvo wagon and that thing was a beast. Could pit maneuver 4x4 pickups no issue on glare ice and accelerate away lol
On a frozen lake, I can see that.

But for pure ice like in OP’s pics, a hard nope I’m staying home!

As a nOOB to serious icy roads; I ask that question because the market makes different length studs.

As much; it begs the question (to this said nOOB) : what length studs are needed for a given ice condition?
You don’t.

You only use studs your tires spec for.

And you’re technically not suppose to stud an used tire too.

Would normal studded snow tires work in that?

Or is the ice layer too thick?

In the video, you can hear the automatic chains clinging around, lotta good they did :laughing:

10-year-old studded tires f&r on a Ranger. It doesn’t have enough ass to get them to bite, It just spins them.

As a nOOB to serious icy roads; I ask that question because the market makes different length studs.

As much; it begs the question (to this said nOOB) : what length studs are needed for a given ice condition?

You don’t.

You only use studs your tires spec for.

And you’re technically not suppose to stud an used tire too.

Ice racing studs are the ones that come in all crazy lengths, and are totally different than street studs.

Street studs should be the same depth as the hole in the tire, usually 11-13mm.

inserted_studs.gif

Ice racing studs are the ones that come in all crazy lengths, and are totally different than street studs.

Street studs should be the same depth as the hole in the tire, usually 11-13mm.

inserted_studs.gif
I think studded snow tires are illegal in some states if memory is right… but my memory is shit so.

Top Back Refresh