What's new

It’s just a dog, right?

always blows me away on how big a hole these little friends leave in the family when they go

Been two years since we least ours, we still find tennis balls laying around the property, I just tell the kid that Tucker is still here, she just has to remember the good times

I have been thinking about this today, and I realized that part of what makes this so hard is the fact that we have to make the decision to have a good pup put down. I think it would be easier if the decision was out of our hands, just like our own death.
It is what you have to do, but you still feel like you are guilty.

I have been thinking about this today, and I realized that part of what makes this so hard is the fact that we have to make the decision to have a good pup put down. I think it would be easier if the decision was out of our hands, just like our own death.
It is what you have to do, but you still feel like you are guilty.
I agree. I was hoping he would pass on his own, go gently into the night. Unfortunately it wasn’t fair to him to wait it out any longer. Do I regret the sleepless nights spent up caring for him? Absolutely not. I find myself wondering if I made the right choice. I feel like I gave up on him.

So sorry for your loss.
We are watching our two dogs deteriorate and probably have less than a year. It's tough to go through. I built a ramp for our Golden/Chessy now that he can't make it up the stairs and his little buddy is on a heart pill and diuretic for CHF.
We lost two cats this last summer, within days of each other. Brothers that were only 2 years old and too damn cool. Vet suspects heat stroke, which sucks since they were only outside when they wanted to be.

I agree. I was hoping he would pass on his own, go gently into the night. Unfortunately it wasn’t fair to him to wait it out any longer. Do I regret the sleepless nights spent up caring for him? Absolutely not. I find myself wondering if I made the right choice. I feel like I gave up on him.
That's a natural fear any dog owner in this position feels. The problem is that we never know. Dogs have such tolerance for pain to begin with. But they can't really tell us - or if they are, we are not smart enough to understand. As long as what you did was out of love (which it was) and not selfishness, despite this normal fear, you did the right thing for him.

I’m undecided as to which part seems to feel worse. Not waking up to him 2 minutes before my alarm with him ready for breakfast, or him not telling me it’s bed time because it’s dark outside.

I guess you don’t really see how much the little things mean until they aren’t there anymore. I miss my grumpy stubborn best friend.

I hear a lot about dogs getting cancer... almost too common. Is it in the food???
No. Its age man. Every animal will get cancer if it lives long enough. I feed real raw food. Almost 14 yo lab get bone cancer. Only normal thing I do is maintain my dog vaccine status and run next guard. Its not the food but could be medications if you dont want to believe age.

Also if men live long enough we will all eventually die from prostate cancer.

That's a natural fear any dog owner in this position feels. The problem is that we never know. Dogs have such tolerance for pain to begin with. But they can't really tell us - or if they are, we are not smart enough to understand. As long as what you did was out of love (which it was) and not selfishness, despite this normal fear, you did the right thing for him.
This is so true^^^. My 13yo pup panted when he was in pain at 13 but it sounded just like panting from running or after play when he was younger. Many of us just cant pick up on that stuff. Someone had to point it out to me.

I’m undecided as to which part seems to feel worse. Not waking up to him 2 minutes before my alarm with him ready for breakfast, or him not telling me it’s bed time because it’s dark outside.

I guess you don’t really see how much the little things mean until they aren’t there anymore. I miss my grumpy stubborn best friend.
Man it has been almost 8 months since I lost my GSD. Literally the hardest thing emotionally I have ever experienced to date. I do not envy what you are going through. Though I promise it will get easier with time. You will continue to find things that remind you of him constantly. Just the other day I found a big clump of that shedding bastard's fur up in my shop, where 8 months ago that would have made me start crying, it just made me smile. I have said it a million times that we as humans do not deserve dogs. They are the purest form of love. They love unconditionally, protect us with their lives, and bring countless amounts of joy. I know it is hard Op. You definitely have my sympathy and will be praying for you.

No. Its age man. Every animal will get cancer if it lives long enough. I feed real raw food. Almost 14 yo lab get bone cancer. Only normal thing I do is maintain my dog vaccine status and run next guard. Its not the food but could be medications if you dont want to believe age.

Also if men live long enough we will all eventually die from prostate cancer.
My dog was only 9... that's not old age for a dog, but i hear you.

My dog was only 9... that's not old age for a dog, but i hear you.
Shit man that sucks at 9. Im sorry to hear that.
I didn’t mean to imply that processed foods wont have an effect. We know they do in us why wouldn’t we think it does on them. Also I sometimes wonder seeing something they tried to eat and we stop them from
It but its got bad shit on it type deal.

This is so true^^^. My 13yo pup panted when he was in pain at 13 but it sounded just like panting from running or after play when he was younger. Many of us just cant pick up on that stuff. Someone had to point it out to me.
Panting is a sure sign. Some more. Changing sleep/resting position often. They will finally get so tired they will sleep. But maybe not for long. Resting and just staring. Hesitancy to do things they love to do. Getting up when you call them. And of course not eating/drinking. That is a bad sign. Pulling away from hugs etc. Length of play time activities gets shorter. This could be just age or start of something. It’s all what we humans do.
OP, when you look back and smile or laugh over your buddy that is a milestone. Till then you’ve only accepted it in your mind. But that’s the day you’ve accepted it in your heart. And he lives there forever.

Every time I get a dog they give me a piece of their heart. Everytime I loose a dog they take a piece of mine. If I live long enough and am lucky enough perhaps I one day will have the heart of a dog.

Shit man that sucks at 9. Im sorry to hear that.
I didn’t mean to imply that processed foods wont have an effect. We know they do in us why wouldn’t we think it does on them. Also I sometimes wonder seeing something they tried to eat and we stop them from
It but its got bad shit on it type deal.
No worries, i didn't think you were.
I want to get on the raw feed, but my wife isn't down because all the extra work it takes. My dogs would love it though, i feed them raw when i can and have stuff to do it with...i was thinking of taking my deer kills and giving them the scraps, but it isn't enough unless i poach, and I'm not down with that.

Yeah he was a big dog. Walked around at 120. His shoulders were at my hips and I'm 6-0...i knew he would not last as long as our first dog Travis, he died at 13... not sure what of, he walked outside into the rain and laid down in the yard. I brought him in the house and the kids all got to say goodbye to him before he passed. That was the best dog ever, he was such a bad ass he fucked a pitbull up and sent him packing. Pitbull didn't even see it coming lol. He was lab and German shepherd, and walked around between 80 and 90 lbs.

No worries, i didn't think you were.
I want to get on the raw feed, but my wife isn't down because all the extra work it takes. My dogs would love it though, i feed them raw when i can and have stuff to do it with...i was thinking of taking my deer kills and giving them the scraps, but it isn't enough unless i poach, and I'm not down with that.

Yeah he was a big dog. Walked around at 120. His shoulders were at my hips and I'm 6-0...i knew he would not last as long as our first dog Travis, he died at 13... not sure what of, he walked outside into the rain and laid down in the yard. I brought him in the house and the kids all got to say goodbye to him before he passed. That was the best dog ever, he was such a bad ass he fucked a pitbull up and sent him packing. Pitbull didn't even see it coming lol. He was lab and German shepherd, and walked around between 80 and 90 lbs.
Raw is not that much more work. More $$$ per calorie depending on what you feed. I feed chicken leg quarters, .70-.90 cents per pound, for my staple protein, 1 for breakfast and 1 for dinner. Large bags of organic juicing carrots are also cheap and run them through a food processor and dump them in a ziplock. Hand full of carrot slices squirt of fish oil, and the expensive part, raw egg with shell every meal. ETA: I also throw in celery or other veggies we have extra of. Pealed sweet potatoes and pumpkin also make the list in fall
I am lucky enough to be able to get 1-2 elk roadkills a year if I meed them to augment dog food and depending on the hit my food as well. One thing I do is always save my deer and elk skeletons. Bought a stainless “meat” recipsaw blade and cut them up and freeze them. Usually get 1-2 a week. Lots of scraps and marrow on them and they aren’t hard like cow bones so they dont fuck up their front teeth as much. Granted I have a Fridge/Freezer for dog food/bones. But if your serious about it thats how you keep costs down. Also if salvage game is legal in your area make friends with LEO and/or EMS and let them know you’re in it for dog food. You’ll probably get a few calls a month.

Panting is a sure sign. Some more. Changing sleep/resting position often. They will finally get so tired they will sleep. But maybe not for long. Resting and just staring. Hesitancy to do things they love to do. Getting up when you call them. And of course not eating/drinking. That is a bad sign. Pulling away from hugs etc. Length of play time activities gets shorter. This could be just age or start of something. It’s all what we humans do.
OP, when you look back and smile or laugh over your buddy that is a milestone. Till then you’ve only accepted it in your mind. But that’s the day you’ve accepted it in your heart. And he lives there forever.
Also shivering, especially in the hind quarters.

Raw is not that much more work. More $$$ per calorie depending on what you feed. I feed chicken leg quarters, .70-.90 cents per pound, for my staple protein, 1 for breakfast and 1 for dinner. Large bags of organic juicing carrots are also cheap and run them through a food processor and dump them in a ziplock. Hand full of carrot slices squirt of fish oil, and the expensive part, raw egg with shell every meal. ETA: I also throw in celery or other veggies we have extra of. Pealed sweet potatoes and pumpkin also make the list in fall
I am lucky enough to be able to get 1-2 elk roadkills a year if I meed them to augment dog food and depending on the hit my food as well. One thing I do is always save my deer and elk skeletons. Bought a stainless “meat” recipsaw blade and cut them up and freeze them. Usually get 1-2 a week. Lots of scraps and marrow on them and they aren’t hard like cow bones so they dont fuck up their front teeth as much. Granted I have a Fridge/Freezer for dog food/bones. But if your serious about it thats how you keep costs down. Also if salvage game is legal in your area make friends with LEO and/or EMS and let them know you’re in it for dog food. You’ll probably get a few calls a month.
You've just inspired a spinoff thread! Want to learn more about this.

Every time I get a dog they give me a piece of their heart. Everytime I loose a dog they take a piece of mine. If I live long enough and am lucky enough perhaps I one day will have the heart of a dog.
I'm stealing this.

Sorry op. My Belgian Malenois has been gone nearly 3 years and I still catch myself expecting to have her run up and greet me anytime I come home.

Got my buddy back today.

Attachments

• 8A7830EA-EC78-495E-8824-EF637035AA0B.jpeg
    8A7830EA-EC78-495E-8824-EF637035AA0B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
Top Back Refresh