What's new

It’s just a dog, right?

Soule88

Member Number
Loc
Central Illinois
Today is the day. Today is the day we have to put my best friend of almost 12 years down. He’s been there through all the highs, all the lows. There will never be another one quite like him. Some day I’ll see him again.

Friday we got the news that he has a large mass collapsing his right lung. I almost wish we didn’t know. He’s been a fighter the whole time.

Attachments

• D7CA40FA-3479-47D7-8291-EE60C74E69D4.jpeg
    D7CA40FA-3479-47D7-8291-EE60C74E69D4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
  • FBC0E3A3-D459-4198-AC87-2DCFCEA8157A.jpeg
    FBC0E3A3-D459-4198-AC87-2DCFCEA8157A.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 3CF62F68-AF33-4C76-B98F-3AF12B6B8592.jpeg
    3CF62F68-AF33-4C76-B98F-3AF12B6B8592.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 48
Taking your dog for the final trip is one of the hardest things you can do. Even though it's the best thing you can do for your best friend.

I am positive your friend will be pain free soon and playing with not only my Labs but many, many others while he waits for you.

I'll keep him and you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

But deep down, it is better you know his condition.

Embrace the great years of companionship he's given you, and know in your heart you are doing what's best for him so that his remaining years are not in pain and suffering.

My heart goes out to you, as I have been in that situation before and it's never easy.

Condolences.

The saddest thing about pets is we outlive them.

On the flip side, they share their whole lives with you and you have the opportunity to make their years excellent. So love them, cherish the memories of those who have passed and remember that there are more out there that need a good loving home.

Your doing the right thing. It gets better, you’ll feel better in time.

My condolences, it’s hard.

Condolences.

The saddest thing about pets is we outlive them.

On the flip side, they share their whole lives with you and you have the opportunity to make their years excellent. So love them, cherish the memories of those who have passed and remember that there are more out there that need a good loving home.
What Tim said.

:beer:

Sorry for your loss OP. It hurts.

Holy shit this is close to home. Its thebonly bad part of having a dog. I just went through this and am so sorry. Cook your friend a pound of bacon or something. Thats it the allergies are back, Damnit. He will be happy and pain free and waiting for you on the other side. Tell him to look up Cash dog he’s new up there as well.😭

So sorry to hear. They really become your best friend and steal your heart. All our best wishes for you and your buddy at this difficult time.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

I never read that when its posted in dogs passing on threads, so I thought id post it instead. RIP old friend, you've been loved and you will be missed. Until we meet on that bridge...............................................:frown:

I am very sorry.

But on that gray face is a map of a life well-lived (for both you and him)....a map of 'happy.'

Sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
The last dog I had to say goodbye to we had a vet come to the house. He is our horse vet so no problem making a house call. He took her to the cremation business and I picked up a nice cedar box a week later.

"Everyone thinks they have the best dog, and none of them are wrong." - W R Pursche

Sorry to hear man...
Had to put my big boy down a couple years ago. Same thing, had a mass in his lung.
Travis was my boy before hando. They were brothers(through us not blood) though, and hando never really recovered from losing him.
Tell your goodest boy to look for hando and Travis. They will take care of him until you get there.

Put my best friend down in May last year. Was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. For her final meal, she got a Wendy's bacon cheeseburger and a vanilla frostee. She could barely pick her head up to eat it and I'd let it go on too long for her. I just couldn't stand the thought of losing my best friend. Bittersweet ending. She needed to let go and didn't know how. I gave it to her, and think back of that dog with very fond memories. I hope there is a Rainbow bridge. Sorry for your loss man, it's a very difficult decision and hard to watch.

So sorry, pets, especially dogs have a way of bonding with you and becoming your friend. I think more of my dog than I do of a lot of people.
Over the rainbow bridge be free :(
allergies

Top Back Refresh