What's new

Is there a bolt in "cheap" passenger side drop transfer case for s10 trucks?

Lil'John

Former #278
Member Number
Loc
Walking to the Rubicon
Title states it but I'll drop my S10 as an example:
99 4.3L with NV3500.

The transfercase should be NP233 which is the push button 4wd that is driver drop, 5 hole bolt pattern, and 27 spline output.

Is there a non-Atlas solution to get to passenger side drop that is 5 hole and 27 spline?

I've been told that in theory I could use a Northwest Fab Blackbox which puts the starting point at ~$1700. A bit cheaper than an Atlas but I'm looking for much cheaper.

I had a 5 bolt t case on the back of my 4l60E. All I had to do was swap the tailhousing for a 6 bolt. It was like 50 bucks on ebay and it opened up my options. Is that an option on the NV3500?

I had a 5 bolt t case on the back of my 4l60E. All I had to do was swap the tailhousing for a 6 bolt. It was like 50 bucks on ebay and it opened up my options. Is that an option on the NV3500?
Sadly no:
tranny1.jpg

The full sized truck NV3500 has the shifter much further back:homer:

Yea you will want to look for square body cases behind a 700r4. 208/241. Might even be able to bastardize a dodge case with a 27 spline input and make it work.

In typical fashion, I know I have this adapter, yet cannot find it. So I tried finding the info from that place, which I will not name. That lasted way longer than I wanted, and I came up empty handed. Anywho, I still found it.

Part number 15724744

This will let you bolt a 6 bolt transfer case to an s10 4l60e.

I found the one I thought I had holding down a tarp... under the tarp...

Part number 15726252

I measure 5-1/16 face to face. Otherwise it looks exactly like the one in the thread I linked.

A little outside the box...only bringing it up because I've found the passenger side stuff to be rare these days
How about a Toyota case with an adaptor? Skip the SYE cost too

That would open up Dana 300 cases as well. You can get 27 spline inputs for them pretty inexpensively.
Aren't the 300s becoming a problem to find? :confused:

A little outside the box...only bringing it up because I've found the passenger side stuff to be rare these days
How about a Toyota case with an adaptor? Skip the SYE cost too
I am thinking outside the box by going pass drop tcase :emb: There is a reason I'm going down this train of thought.

On the Toyota case, I haven't found anyone offering a direct adapter to the S10 nv3500:homer:

Aren't the 300s becoming a problem to find? :confused:

I am thinking outside the box by going pass drop tcase :emb: There is a reason I'm going down this train of thought.

On the Toyota case, I haven't found anyone offering a direct adapter to the S10 nv3500:homer:
The last shop i worked at in south sac has 3-4 sitting on a shelf.

Yea you will want to look for square body cases behind a 700r4. 208/241. Might even be able to bastardize a dodge case with a 27 spline input and make it work.
Idk about putting a 27s into a dodge. But i can tell you that you can not put a 27s into a 32s gm case. You have to have the front half of the 27s 208 aswell.

Idk about putting a 27s into a dodge. But i can tell you that you can not put a 27s into a 32s gm case. You have to have the front half of the 27s 208 aswell.
Explain please. I have personally and successfully done all sorts of input swap fuckery in np23x and np24x cases. So long as the cut of the gears is the same, I do not see the issue.

208 are not like 231/241/261/271

208 use thin ass torington bearing and the inputs are different od and the bearing are the same .125"? Thickness.

Larger od = larger case bore = 27spl/32spl dont swap into opposing tcases.

That may be for a 208. For the 23x and 24x cases, inputs are swappable.

I don’t buy it either.

I put a 32 spline input in my brothers 27 spline 208 case a few years ago. Nothing special just swapped input shafts

Explain please. I have personally and successfully done all sorts of input swap fuckery in np23x and np24x cases. So long as the cut of the gears is the same, I do not see the issue.
You can swap stuff around, but there's more to it than just the gear cut. The Dodge bearing surface for the needle bearing in the input is larger than a GM, so if you try to swap a GM input into a Dodge 241 you'll find that the pocket bearing in the input won't fit over the Dodge mainshaft.

AFAIK all NP208 inputs are straight cut and if so, definitely would not interchange with helical cut NP23X/24X inputs.

Nope the only 208 i ever put together.

Cust had me rebearing it. Never said what it was for. Gave back to him and he brings it back saying he fucked up and didnt check spl #.

Ok. No prob. I got a input on the shelf. Nope. Had to grab a case half.

The only thing i can think of is maybe a year split .

I dont have any of my good tcase parts books anymore.

You can swap stuff around, but there's more to it than just the gear cut. The Dodge bearing surface for the needle bearing in the input is larger than a GM, so if you try to swap a GM input into a Dodge 241 you'll find that the pocket bearing in the input won't fit over the Dodge mainshaft.

So the way I see it, you would maybe need the retainer for the bearing associated with the input, and the bearing itself. If I were doing this, ideally I’d have 2 whole transfer cases to start with and therefore have all necessary parts. I honestly don’t see why/how there is so much confusion.

When it comes to a 208, I admittedly have not been in one.

So the way I see it, you would maybe need the retainer for the bearing associated with the input, and the bearing itself. If I were doing this, ideally I’d have 2 whole transfer cases to start with and therefore have all necessary parts. I honestly don’t see why/how there is so much confusion.

When it comes to a 208, I admittedly have not been in one.

Not the ball bearing, the needle bearing on the inside of the input. The Dodge mainshaft bearing surface is bigger than the GM, so you'd need to fit the Dodge needle bearing into the GM input. I actually don't know if there's material there to machine, but at the least you'd need to bore the GM input to fit the Dodge bearing.

I did an s10 5 speed/ s10 231 to box 4 rocks doubler kit from DD machine to a 23 spline jeep 231 though you could have put a dana 300 in it's place. . DD machine might have some other output shafts avilable to adapt a chevy case to their doubler.

My 1994 S10 is a pass drop, I believe it should be a 231c. (Havent dropped the skid plate, but my old 94 with an auto was a 231) Behind either the NV3500 or Getrag 5 speed.

My 1994 S10 is a pass drop, I believe it should be a 231c. (Havent dropped the skid plate, but my old 94 with an auto was a 231) Behind either the NV3500 or Getrag 5 speed.

Got a picture? They are all driver's drop factory.

Top Back Refresh