What's new

Is it fucked?

spareparts

Red Skull Member
Member Number
so, after wasting money on speakers(it does sound decent), and asking about tuners(thanks for the input, I'm passing right now), my 48RE started slipping in second towing a boat last Friday. If I'm easy on it, its fine, if i roll in the throttle, it will start slipping. I had some parts ordered on amazon related to the trans( band anchor kit and governor pressure sensor). Was planning on installing them this week and adjusting the bands. Truck runs fine in any other gear, if i keep my foot out of it, 2nd will hold. Am I wasting my time dropping the pan and installing theses parts? Go ahead and yank it for full rebuild? WWID?

Have you ever adjusted the bands?

You didnt say milage, hp level, big tires or gear changes?
276k, I'm assuming the trans has been gone thru before, lived a life hauling horses, then boats before me. Hard to think it hasn't been rebuilt at least once before i got it. I've had it for about 20K miles, bought it non running, been driving it for about 8 months working all the kinks out of it. I doubt the last owner ever had the bands adjusted. Stock motor expect for cold air and exhaust, stock tires, no gear changes.

2nd is the front band. If it's been slipping, it's unlikely an adjustment will fix it. It's probably glazed and won't hold.

There's quite a bit of travel on the servo, it'd need to be WAY loose or damaged to slip.

You can put a new band in it, though the drum would need to be in decent shape.

Also sure it's not 2nd gear lockup and the TCC is slipping?

seems to be fine in all the other gears, had to go to NC this weekend and at did fine on I95 running80 mph. Still got the same mileage as I was getting. I've been easy with it in 2nd since it started slipping last week, I noticed it on teh way to deliver a boat, it still pulled when applying part throttle. If it started slipping, it would go to 300 rpm easy, backing out of the throttle to under 2000 would let it catch up. What would the TCC slipping be like? Wouldn't it slip in higher gears? Does it lock up in lower gears?

You're probably fucked, that band is most likely burnt. They make a snap in bands for Ford C4's and maybe a C6, You can change just by dropping the valve body. I use to know the guy who invented it, he was a trans guy at Ford R&D. I don't think there is any way to change your band without pulling the trans.

I roasted the band in mine 50k miles ago. Put in a slip in band, new shift solenoids, upgraded the pressure sensor and it’s been fine since. I also upgraded the servo piston to an aluminum one. All those parts and fluid was less than five hundred dollars pre-Covid.

You're probably fucked, that band is most likely burnt. They make a snap in bands for Ford C4's and maybe a C6, You can change just by dropping the valve body. I use to know the guy who invented it, he was a trans guy at Ford R&D. I don't think there is any way to change your band without pulling the trans.
They make slip in bands for the 727 stuff.

Guy that's running it needs to shut it down and fix it, it's only making it worse...

“Trans guy” has a whole new meaning these days.

They make slip in bands for the 727 stuff.

Guy that's running it needs to shut it down and fix it, it's only making it worse...
Ok, I've never seen them for anything other than the Fords, I've installed a lot in C4's years ago, it was a popular fix.
A 727/904 were the easiest transmissions to rebuild, my first job wrenching we did a lot of transmission work.

If the pan is clean and you get the valve body out you can air test the clutch packs, if that's good it's your lucky day.

Have you ever adjusted the bands?

You didnt say milage, hp level, big tires or gear changes?
We need to know this.

By the way you can’t replace the 2nd gear lever. Trans need to come out, or at least pulled back from engine as the pin is accessed through front.

Top Back Refresh