What's new

Insurance help

Slammed&cammed

Certified Asshole
Member Number
I got into an accident, my fault, using a body shop not on my insurance list...his estimate is $8500. Truck is a very clean lowered 1999 Silverado 4 x 4..book value is around 8k.
love the truck...feel like the insurance Co will total it...options? Not afraid to fight ins Co..'but finding a lowered short bed regular cab is no go...

I got into an accident, my fault, using a body shop not on my insurance list...his estimate is $8500. Truck is a very clean lowered 1999 Silverado 4 x 4..book value is around 8k.
love the truck...feel like the insurance Co will total it...options? Not afraid to fight ins Co..'but finding a lowered short bed regular cab is no go...
Buy it back and fix it yourself. If it costs more it will be a lesson learned.

When the time comes, ask what the salvage will be vs how much that amount will be depreciated if you keep it. Find at least 5 similar comps online, (if possible) and have them ready just in case. Anytime I have something insured that's worth more than its listed value, I add agreed value to it. For like 30 bucks extra per year, I can guarantee I'll get exactly what I want should it be totaled. Hit a deer in my FZJ80 a few years ago. Got paid well, and kept it.

I can't get past lowering a 4x4...

All the cool kids are doing it :flipoff2:

20220904_113558-XL.jpg

What's the cash price estimate? Any pictures of the damage?

Start looking for comps of that body style (with or without similar mods) with similar mileage in similar pre-accident condition, I'd find 3 or 4 of 'em within 100 miles if you can. This will be your leverage. If there are none available for less than $20K, then you can argue that the book value is bullshit...which it often is on 20 year old cars. Anything that people can afford to pay cash for is gonna book for lower value, because nobody writes down the real price on the paperwork when paying cash and KBB/NADA get their data from DMV records.

Keep the wreck. Rebuild it, or roll the best of it into another truck.

That's status-quo for up here where insurance is nothing more than a mandated scam.

I can't get past lowering a 4x4...
I guess it depends on the definition of lowering, if it's dropping a truck that never leaves the pavement a couple inches (like the picture from Gots_a_sol ) with the height of trucks these days I can't disagree with that.
If we are talking about slamming it to where it will make sparks running over a speed bump (like the bug in the avatar for Slammed&cammed ), that is entertaining to look at, but it's not my cup of tea.

Aaron Z

Pictures. Can't find comps anywhere in the internet...

Attachments

• P1016530.JPG
    P1016530.JPG
    709.3 KB · Views: 54
  • P1016529.JPG
    P1016529.JPG
    706.1 KB · Views: 54
  • P1016523.JPG
    P1016523.JPG
    830.9 KB · Views: 54
Pictures. Can't find comps anywhere in the internet...
Looks to me like it needs a bumper, some bumper trim, some lights, maybe a grill?

It's a 22Y old single cab truck poverty package truck. It's not the most sought after model, so I wouldn't really worry about resale value, because even clean and un-wrecked, I don't see it going for big bucks like a crew cab. Let them total it, buy it back with a salvage title for $1000 or so, take the $8500 they give you and spend $400 of that on junkyard parts to put it back together.

If the insurance company has not taken pictures or seen the vehicle yet, I'd get that LGB sticker off the back window. If the adjuster happens to be a libtard, that won't help your case. I'd recommend the same if you have a Biden/Harris sticker on the truck.

I can't tell if that got into the driver fender, or didn't look like it. Looks like the grill is still good too? Headlight frame and bumper, set of lights and done? Why is that at a body shop? Bring it to me, I'll fix it for a lot less. Hell even IF it needed the core support and both hood and fender replaced/ painted. That's not 8500.

Edit: Now that Im on a pc and not my phone, it looks like the driver fender is into the door(maybe?). Cant tell what kind of damage is done to the door, I doubt much. Fender is $100 bucks used. Bumper bar chrome is $252. Headlight bracket $25. Pair of turn lights $26. The hood and rad support look good from pic. We're up to 400 bucks in parts without a better shot of the driver fender/door area. Really man/woman, get that truck out of there and fix it yourself. I bet you can fix it for less than your deductible.

Last edited:
Did the body shop know you were planning on turning it into insurance?
Most shops have negotiated rates with insurance companies so the insurance repair cost is considerably lower than what they will quote a cash customer.

With reasonable miles that truck would easily sell for $12k here.

Is that turd lowered? I dig the black steelies on it. meh who cares. look at that little human you have the joy and responsibility of! :beer:
I think that it is stock but it's not even high enough to crawl under jacking it up. It has stocks on it now those wheels didn't clear the brakes without spacers:homer:.

Thank-you she is a joy.

It's a 22Y old single cab truck poverty package truck. It's not the most sought after model, so I wouldn't really worry about resale value,
Might sound crazy, but a semi clean regular cab/shortbed of that era brings stupid money here in California. I’ve been looking for one in white with low miles forever. 10-15k all day.

The ford expedition , the 2wd and the 4 wd are exactly the same height .

Which I like , I don’t need the ground clearance but I do occasionally need the traction .
You get one wheel off pavement and you’re stuck with any normal 2wd

Top Back Refresh