What's new

Insulting the American people

Sandy Johnson

Harry Member
Member Number
Loc
Spreckels, Ca
Rant on:

From the time I left work yesterday, through today, I was listening to the talking heads interview people from campaign teams, or those running for office (house, sentate, etc.). One of the things that kept coming up was many of them talking over and over about what an unprecedented amount of "knocking on doors" and "boots" on the ground they did this year.

It's insulting to the american people to say that all it takes is some flyers, canvassing, and TV ads to get someone elected and not their stance on actual issues or how they have voted on legislature in the past. To me this shows a glaring disconnect between politicians(on both sides of the aisle), and people living in reality. America would be better if politicians worried more about the decisions they make in office, than how many "boots on the ground" they have during election time.

:Rant off

And if it actually is boots on the ground and propaganda that influences election results the most, we are all doomed and I'm stocking up on whiskey for the foreseeable future.

Why would they do anything different than what is already working?

this is what makes the fact that congress isn't substantially changed so surprising. the DNC massively outspent this year and didn't really get shit for it :laughing:

Rant on:

From the time I left work yesterday, through today, I was listening to the talking heads interview people from campaign teams, or those running for office (house, sentate, etc.). One of the things that kept coming up was many of them talking over and over about what an unprecedented amount of "knocking on doors" and "boots" on the ground they did this year.

It's insulting to the american people to say that all it takes is some flyers, canvassing, and TV ads to get someone elected and not their stance on actual issues or how they have voted on legislature in the past. To me this shows a glaring disconnect between politicians(on both sides of the aisle), and people living in reality. America would be better if politicians worried more about the decisions they make in office, than how many "boots on the ground" they have during election time.

:Rant off

And if it actually is boots on the ground and propaganda that influences election results the most, we are all doomed and I'm stocking up on whiskey for the foreseeable future.

The fact that our pick was these two jackass candidates is insulting to the American people. Both parties need to be dismantled.

Hate to tell you but...

and has been for at least XX years.

Maybe, but perhaps campaign managers could avoid bragging about it on national TV/radio? Not only are we getting played, but now they're actively talking about how they're doing it as though it's no big deal.

Every two years I'm inundated by people calling/texting me asking to vote democrat. In multiple cities/states and addressing me by the wrong name. Every commercial I read or heard was democrat. I'm not registered to vote either way, I merely signed up for selective service when I turned 18.

I have never recieved a peep from any other organization. I have my opinion who runs a propaganda machine trying to persuade and buy votes based off feelings.

I hate to tell you, but there's a reason why campaign financing is so important and why campaign finance reform should be at the top of every voter's list. It's because advertising and boots on the ground IS of utmost importance. Always remember, the average person is quite dumb and half of the people out there are even dumber than that.

The Democrats spent big in MT, and lost every race. The amount of money spent on just the senate race was around $250 per vote. At the end of the day, it didn’t change anything.

I got 3-4 text within 30 mins of the polls closing last night asking if I needed help finding a polling place. I like to mess them regardless of party. Would rather opt out of all that BS.

I hate to tell you, but there's a reason why campaign financing is so important and why campaign finance reform should be at the top of every voter's list. It's because advertising and boots on the ground IS of utmost importance. Always remember, the average person is quite dumb and half of the people out there are even dumber than that.

But that's ONLY AFTER the candidates are picked by the UNIparty for the left-right vote.

:homer:

But that's ONLY AFTER the candidates are picked by the UNIparty for the left-right vote.

:homer:

The biggest problem with current campaign finance regulations is that individual contributions are heavily regulated but PARTY contributions aren't. You can give unlimited funds to a party. That gives the parties all the control. They determine which candidates get the funds. I don't think that most people understand this. If you won't play call and toe the party line you won't get the funding and you'll go nowhere.

Hate to tell you but...

and has been for at least XX years.

This.

All politics is local, and it's a numbers game. A candidate doesn't have time to go out and change minds, and American entertainment has changed a lot over the years. A debate in the 19th century was a big event. No TV, movies, and lucky if a carnival shows up once a year.

Still, it doesn't matter, Broadsheeting, canvassing, and knocking on doors produces results, always has, always will.

And isn't Harry Johnson being ungenerous to the American people himself? What's to say that someone wasn't decided but a nice person showed up and explained some policy points to you? Now you're convinced that if a kind, helpful person like that is volunteering for Creapy Joe, maybe the Creap isn't so bad after all...

Politics is human, irrational, and a numbers game. Literally nothing has changed since the Greeks at least. We have very good record of their shenanigans ,which are many.

It should be absolutely illegal to pour money in from other states into congressional races. The fact people like Linsey Graham's challenger got over $100MM in external funding in the SC race (for example) is just plain wrong. Big donors from California and New York have no business trying to peddle influence in other states. It should be criminal.

It should be absolutely illegal to pour money in from other states into congressional races. The fact people like Linsey Graham's challenger got over $100MM in external funding in the SC race (for example) is just plain wrong. Big donors from California and New York have no business trying to peddle influence in other states. It should be criminal.

Absolutely agreed. Campaign finance needs to be burned down and restarted with hard limits on contributions for both individuals and businesses, destruction of PACs, and harsh penalties for violation that actually get enforced.

And isn't Harry Johnson being ungenerous to the American people himself? What's to say that someone wasn't decided but a nice person showed up and explained some policy points to you? Now you're convinced that if a kind, helpful person like that is volunteering for Creapy Joe, maybe the Creap isn't so bad after all...

I'd argue that a lot of problems could be fixed if someone like creep joe had to rely less on the nice canvasser that his campaign hired and more on their actual performance while in office.

Maybe I'm just fed up with the whole shitshow leading up to this (Biden?!? The best democrats could come up with is Biden?!?) and tired of seeing the merry go round start it's slow turn for the same bullshit in 2024. It feels like by the time I'm in my 50's we'll be be actually living the south park "Giant Douche/Turd Sandwich" episode.

While watching the game on Sunday I noticed Fox networks own ads for the election coverage.

It was like an ad for a Terminator movie. Screaming, with powerful music saying things like "UNTIL. WE. KNOW."

So while I fully understand your rant, at least 70% of Americans seem to WANT to be manipulated ny MSM. These TV guys do it for the money, and they know exactly what their customers want. I saw that, and also those parades and the Trump trains and just thought: What the???

The fact that this exists is telling about the average level of critical thinking. A person that went to college should not want touchy feeling bullshit.

This fact is why I am for reworking the entire education system. Kids should DEMAND a decent, factual discussion anf automatically recognize and REJECT PROPAGANDA.

Because that manipulation IS propaganda.

​​​​

Last edited:
Also, I know you don't like wanna hear it and some don't care, but all these things are basically non-existent over here in Germany. Maybe 10%.
It is simply frowned upon by the majority of Germans.

The right wing "Alternative for Deutschland" has recently had 12% success with a very watered down version of touchy feely propaganda. It's very alarming for everyone.

The biggest problem with current campaign finance regulations is that individual contributions are heavily regulated but PARTY contributions aren't. You can give unlimited funds to a party. That gives the parties all the control. They determine which candidates get the funds. I don't think that most people understand this. If you won't play call and toe the party line you won't get the funding and you'll go nowhere.

You're correct.

What happened to Ron Paul?

While watching the game on Sunday I noticed Fox networks own ads for the election coverage.

It was like an ad for a Terminator movie. Screaming, with powerful music saying things like "UNTIL. WE. KNOW."

So while I fully understand your rant, at least 70% of Americans seem to WANT to be manipulated ny MSM. These TV guys do it for the money, and they know exactly what their customers want. I saw that, and also those parades and the Trump trains and just thought: What the???

The fact that this exists is telling about the average level of critical thinking. A person that went to college should not want touchy feeling bullshit.

This fact is why I am for reworking the entire education system. Kids should DEMAND a decent, factual discussion anf automatically recognize and REJECT PROPAGANDA.

Because that manipulation IS propaganda.

​​​​

and yet, you support free college and state run programs in the schools. :laughing:

how can you not see the connection between the growth of the two and the exact thinks you are complaining about in this post?

it's so weird :laughing:

The fact that our pick was these two jackass candidates is insulting to the American people. Both parties need to be dismantled.

Agreed. I’ve stated that you could swing a cat in our town of 250k and hit 100 people I’d rather vote for. It’s insane.

Unfortunately, most of us know that Joey was the token “old white guy” that could beat Trump to usher in his Marxist replacement next year.

It seems to me that 90% of the people just want to be left the hell alone. Small central government, states rights, live where you like the laws. What is so damn hard about that?

Last edited:
It seems to me that 90% of the people just want to be left the hell alone. Small central government, states rights, live where you like the laws. What is so damn hard about that?

if those 90% were halfway aware, trump would have won handily. especially with the covid response where the federal government actively supported the myriad of state decisions.

big issue, those 90% of people don't care enough to actually look far into it, or at least 50% of them don't care (probably closer to 90% of 90%) and are going along with whatever they are getting locally or through their passive main stream media consumption

this is what makes the fact that congress isn't substantially changed so surprising. the DNC massively outspent this year and didn't really get shit for it :laughing:
Definitely received their money’s worth. They still hold Congress, will likely hold the presidency and have a great chance to win control of the senate with the runoff’s in January.

Definitely received their money’s worth. They still hold Congress, will likely hold the presidency and have a great chance to win control of the senate with the runoff’s in January.

the DNC holds congress :confused:

i know you are keen to ignore reality, but "come on, man!" :flipoff2:

the blue wave that all those funds were supposed to usher in fizzled. the GOP made gains in the house and the senate is poised to be largely unchanged from the last 2 years.

the DNC holds congress :confused:

i know you are keen to ignore reality, but "come on, man!" :flipoff2:

the blue wave that all those funds were supposed to usher in fizzled. the GOP made gains in the house and the senate is poised to be largely unchanged from the last 2 years.

So far the senate is a tie what are you missing? The Dems will definitely outspend everyone in the runoff’s for control in January.

Maybe, but perhaps campaign managers could avoid bragging about it on national TV/radio? Not only are we getting played, but now they're actively talking about how they're doing it as though it's no big deal.

They’re sharing the keys to success. Most winter get interviewed after they win and tell you what it took even though you just watched the entire sports ball event on tv. Don’t like it? Change the station.

So far the senate is a tie what are you missing? The Dems will definitely outspend everyone in the runoff’s for control in January.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/senate/2020_elections_senate_map.html

they outspent everybody widely before the election, it didn't work out for them. even in the runoffs, i'm sure they will outspend again, but they will still fail.

it will be a punt, a couple seats back and forth but there won't be substantial change based on the current voting. if we assume the same turnout in the runoff. if voting turnout is lower, i think that will benefit republicans and dnc will have a difficult time getting those to flip, especially considering they are generally behind now

Top Back Refresh