What's new

I quit drinking

Good for you man. It can be real hard to cut back on booze, especially with the world goin crazy like it is. I figure I am close to 10 months. Last drink I had was sometime in september. Started out as a 1 month thing, then 'sober october', then I no longer had any cravings then I realized it was 6 months and now its almost a year. Saved some money, lost some weight yada yada yada

How'd you get a liver?

i still dont know the ins and outs of transplant list, but they told me i didnt have much longer to live without a transplant, plus being young and in good shape otherwise, i guess i got to cut to the top of the list.

4 days sober after a ten day binge of a fifth a day of beam. I still hate life, and quarantine doesn't make this shit any damn better.

Its my sobriety bday! 1 year today

I remember posting in this thread over on pbb on my fifth day. Scared shitless, unsure of where my life was headed. I was beat, broken, and lost.....

quitting isn't for everybody, and to them I applaud you.

for me it's been the best thing I've ever done for myself. Which makes me wonder if I will ever drink again. When I started my sobriety I said it wasn't going to be forever, and I'm still unsure if it is....

but for right now, I'm going to enjoy my success. I'm proud of myself for sticking to it. To those who are in it, keep it up. It's gets easier and so much better.

Cheers to all my pretend Internet friends.

-Adam

Haven't had a beer in 6 days now. Before that I went 2.5 years drinking at least a 6 pack a day. Drinking a 30 rack or more on the weekends. Last Monday I just decided to stop. No reason, I just didn't feel like it. I still have a shit load of beer/booze in the garage fridge.

First couple days were shitty. Slept like shit, was angry for no reason. It's way better now.

Waking up with out a hangover is fantastic.

I remember posting in this thread over on pbb on my fifth day. Scared shitless, unsure of where my life was headed. I was beat, broken, and lost.....

for me it's been the best thing I've ever done for myself. Which makes me wonder if I will ever drink again. When I started my sobriety I said it wasn't going to be forever, and I'm still unsure if it is....

but for right now, I'm going to enjoy my success. I'm proud of myself for sticking to it. To those who are in it, keep it up. It's gets easier and so much better.

-Adam

CONGRATS, DUDE! :bounce::bounce2:

-Adam

Congratulations on 1 year! I am 9+ years now, life is completely different, no doubt. I would be dead if I had continued down the road I was on.

This coming Jan. it'll be 20 years for me. I really like being sober.

And congrats to you on 20 years. That's incredible. I can 100% agree with you on being sober. As much as I used to like a good buzz, I LOVE having control of myself in any situation I'm in. To some that may sound dumb, but others will get it.

And congrats to you on 20 years. That's incredible. I can 100% agree with you on being sober. As much as I used to like a good buzz, I LOVE having control of myself in any situation I'm in. To some that may sound dumb, but others will get it.

Doesn't sound dumb at all. Happy New Year, so to speak. :smokin:

Fuck I need to stop drinking.

Tomorrow I am not going to get any beer, be a first day in many months to not drink.

I have to do this.

I'm the typical 2-3 beers a day type guy with a few more on the weekends. I was going to cut back to one a day since I'm on a diet but then it was like hell, if I cut it out entirely that'd be an additional 1000 calories a week or so I could save so I did. Honestly, once I'm down to my target weight I'm not sure I'll bother to start back.

Tomorrow I am not going to get any beer, be a first day in many months to not drink.

I have to do this.

Make a plan and stick to it. Doesn't matter if it's a day, week, month, whatever....

If you need to vent, bitch, yell....I'm here.

I'm the typical 2-3 beers a day type guy with a few more on the weekends. I was going to cut back to one a day since I'm on a diet but then it was like hell, if I cut it out entirely that'd be an additional 1000 calories a week or so I could save so I did. Honestly, once I'm down to my target weight I'm not sure I'll bother to start back.

I met this dude just Saturday who told me his story. 5yrs ago he stopped drinking, stopped eating "pizza and bagels" and has since trimmed from 235 to 185. He was a short-ish Filipino so, those pounds mean a lot to his stature I'm sure. 2 yrs ago he met a cutie from Texas named Brandy, getting married next yr. Very happy person now, he had a distinguishable squint to his eye when he referred to the previous person he was, which led me to believe he was very unhappy with himself.

I met this dude just Saturday who told me his story. 5yrs ago he stopped drinking, stopped eating "pizza and bagels" and has since trimmed from 235 to 185. He was a short-ish Filipino so, those pounds mean a lot to his stature I'm sure. 2 yrs ago he met a cutie from Texas named Brandy, getting married next yr. Very happy person now, he had a distinguishable squint to his eye when he referred to the previous person he was, which led me to believe he was very unhappy with himself.

I believe it.....

Someone who is able to better their life by cutting out booze/drugs and is able to look back on their old self and see the change...it's real man.

I think about the piece of shit I had become last year and it's embarrassing. But at the same time, it's motivation to keep moving further away from that person.

I'll be 3 years in this Christmas. I was sort of forced into it but looking back it's been such a huge improvement in all parts of my life, financially, family, health and just a good sense of life. Since covid stopped everything here I've sort of fallen away from my groups and meetings. I used to run a small one in town and the place closed down, they are open again but no one shows up so I think that is done for now.

My only advise to people is to find a meeting or group and learn about it before you dismiss it. There are a lot of options besides AA. It was a local 4x4 board where I found out about Smart Recovery and that was the first thing that clicked with me, not the first time I went but eventually it did.

While I was still drinking I couldn't imagine being sober. I thought it would be terrible and I'd never have any fun. Happily I found out how wrong I was.

For all those who quit and those who'd like to, stay with it or go for it. It really is worth it.

I have to do this.

You ain't alone dude. My body is hurting and I need to stop before it gets worse.

In the last 3 years I've went from someone who has a few beers once or twice a week to drinking a 12 pack most nights. For me, it has meant gaining like 20 lbs at least. COVID has just made things worse. The GF and I decided to hop on the wagon for the month of September. We are both doing fine, but I've had trouble falling asleep every night. I do feel better on the whole, I might add October to the wagon ride because even after 2 weeks i've lost a few lbs.

In the last 3 years I've went from someone who has a few beers once or twice a week to drinking a 12 pack most nights.

That's my buddy in a nutshell, except span it over 25 yrs.

Went from a couple beers a night to a twelver every day. I moved 500 miles away but returned sometimes to see the progression. He had 2 young daughters and I couldn't relax knowing he was driving drunk every time they were in the truck with him. He didn't lose any weight, but he lost everything else in the end, including his own daughters. Very sad to see - happen with your best friend...

I had quit for a little while back when this thread was in pirate..I went back to it but not as hardcore..But one of my best friends died in his sleep last night, 43 years old with two sons in elementary school that won't have a daddy now..I've got to get my shit straight. I've got to do it for real this time.

Last edited:
I want to live, I want to be healthy.

I am actually worried that I have done damage to myself from all the drinking I have done these last 12 years.

Actually I know I have done damage, I just hope it is not too much.

I am feeling my mortality lately, I am not feeling so invincible anymore.

Life is starting to go really well for me and I want to keep that going.

I did not buy any beer today.

Top Back Refresh