What's new

I quit drinking

I want to live, I want to be healthy.

I am actually worried that I have done damage to myself from all the drinking I have done these last 12 years.

Actually I know I have done damage, I just hope it is not too much.

I am feeling my mortality lately, I am not feeling so invincible anymore.

Life is starting to go really well for me and I want to keep that going.

I did not buy any beer today.

Keep it up.

Didnt drink over the weekend for the first time in probably years, kinda just to make sure i could tell myself "no"

and god damn that was harder than i thought, my hat goes off to you guys

keep up the good work :smokin:

Didnt drink over the weekend for the first time in probably years, kinda just to make sure i could tell myself "no"

and god damn that was harder than i thought, my hat goes off to you guys

keep up the good work :smokin:

I was pretty sure I was dieing the first two days so I gave it a couple weeks before posting in here.
edit: actually I went back and read I posted on the second day

Last edited:
Its my sobriety bday! 1 year today

I remember posting in this thread over on pbb on my fifth day. Scared shitless, unsure of where my life was headed. I was beat, broken, and lost.....

quitting isn't for everybody, and to them I applaud you.

for me it's been the best thing I've ever done for myself. Which makes me wonder if I will ever drink again. When I started my sobriety I said it wasn't going to be forever, and I'm still unsure if it is....

but for right now, I'm going to enjoy my success. I'm proud of myself for sticking to it. To those who are in it, keep it up. It's gets easier and so much better.

Cheers to all my pretend Internet friends.

-Adam

Congrats to you and everyone else, be it a an hour, a day, a week or more, congrats, it isn't easy but so damn worth it!

Since I quit almost 3 years ago, I have yet to find a situation that would have been made better with alcohol, but could probably list a bunch of situations where alcohol would have "complicated" things...

Congrats to you and everyone else, be it a an hour, a day, a week or more, congrats, it isn't easy but so damn worth it!

Since I quit almost 3 years ago, I have yet to find a situation that would have been made better with alcohol, but could probably list a bunch of situations where alcohol would have "complicated" things...

Exactly I ask myself "what good has alcohol done for me"? I can't think of one good thing.

So I am 41 days in and not really craving alcohol that much. I miss the taste of whiskey, but not the hangovers or lack of energy.

I think that I just gave up alcohol and turned to weed. I have to quit weed and clean out for a bit for work, so we will see how my mood goes. I use weed for insomnia so it's going to be interesting to see if I can sleep without something.

People that are thinking about it, just give it a shot...What do you have to lose to try and quit? It's rough, the first week you will feel like shit, but it gets better.

That said I am also on Gabapentin to ease the cravings and it helps.

Well said!

For you guys not drinking tonight, for a couple of days, weeks or months just keep not picking up a drink and it will get easier and easier over time.

I had 30 years last Thanksgiving and it's hands down the best thing I've ever done for myself. In that time I've had 20+ surgeries, my right leg chopped off, 2 ex-wives and a bunch of other shit but none of it was worth picking up a drink for.

Well said!

I had 30 years last Thanksgiving and it's hands down the best thing I've ever done for myself. In that time I've had 20+ surgeries, my right leg chopped off, 2 ex-wives and a bunch of other shit but none of it was worth picking up a drink for.

What about sheet rock, give that a whirl lately? :laughing:

Well said!

For you guys not drinking tonight, for a couple of days, weeks or months just keep not picking up a drink and it will get easier and easier over time.

Damn dude...thats fucking awesome. You've seen and done and had some shit done to you, that would make me question my sobriety. Good on you for holding strong.

couldn't agree more that's it's the best life decision I've made in 35 years

That particular Pill makes me drink More than usual. :confused:

That shit for me,might as well be Cocaine. There is No limit and up ALL night.

I only drink and smoke a lil bit.

I have Quit drinking Completely Twice. Once for 4 years and most Recently,over a year. I found my way back to drinking Beer (Whiskey and me are NOT Friends) recently and I've been skipping days from that,still.

Gabapentin,is not something I like,normally. But if taken before drinking, I can go all night and say "Fuck It" and keep going.

Odd how it affects different people I guess.

I'm in the process of cutting out drinking at All,again. But right now it's just a pain nummer.

It's not Healthy and I know that. But it works on bad days. Or around others that are doing the same.

I rather have a few tokes and leave the rest a alone.Much better for you than Alcohol.

Having worked Security in Clubs, Bars,Concerts and such for 20 + Years as a side job, it kinda come with the Territory. But I broke that habit and went in Sober for years. That's a story for another time.

Good Luck,Everybody that has reckonized that it has become an issue in Daily Life.

:beer: :smokin:

Reactions: Add
What about sheet rock, give that a whirl lately? :laughing:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

It's been a while since I did any. I did inspect the sketchy work Fletch was doing, I wonder if he's really done yet.

When I did sheet rock on my house I actually got it hung, taped, mudded and painted before I bragged about it. :grinpimp:

So I am 41 days in and not really craving alcohol that much. I miss the taste of whiskey, but not the hangovers or lack of energy.

I think that I just gave up alcohol and turned to weed. I have to quit weed and clean out for a bit for work, so we will see how my mood goes. I use weed for insomnia so it's going to be interesting to see if I can sleep without something.

People that are thinking about it, just give it a shot...What do you have to lose to try and quit? It's rough, the first week you will feel like shit, but it gets better.

So you're on Gabapentin to stop drinking? I never knew it would help with that.

I'm taking Gabapentin for phantom pain and muscle spasms and it takes about 25% of that away.

So you're on Gabapentin to stop drinking? I never knew it would help with that.

I'm taking Gabapentin for phantom pain and muscle spasms and it takes about 25% of that away.

It is used for tons of things. Apparently people use it to get high and catch a buzz. I was told I can take 1200 mg 3 times a day. I don't usually take that much. I'm not sure if it actually works for the cravings, it's probably psychological.

If people really do get high off of it, I have tons of it, bacon isn't getting cheaper and I need to buy more guns and ammo.

I didn't drink at all yesterday.

I was worried I wouldn't be able to sleep, I slept better than I have in a long time.\

I am not going to get a beer today either, even though the though of one sounds real nice right now.

Congrats. Keeping it out of the house and always having something else to drink helps. I get sick of water so I started getting the carbonated waters, store brand is usually less than $1 for a liter.

Congrats. Keeping it out of the house and always having something else to drink helps. I get sick of water so I started getting the carbonated waters, store brand is usually less than $1 for a liter.

I am drinking a LaCrox water right now.

This is the time of day I normally drink a 6 pack.

I wanted something carbonated.

I am thinking about getting a case of plain carbonated waters to sip in the afternoon while I sit here.

I am thinking about getting a case of plain carbonated waters to sip in the afternoon while I sit here.

That's what I do otherwise I'll pound sodas.

I didn't drink at all yesterday.

I was worried I wouldn't be able to sleep, I slept better than I have in a long time.\

I am not going to get a beer today either, even though the though of one sounds real nice right now.

If you close your eyes and hold your nose, a mango flavor bubly tastes a lot like an ipa

Go to CostCo and get a 28 pack of Crystal Geyser. You get 28 bottles (16 oz) of carbonated water for $9.98. There's 7 each of orange, lime, lemon, and berry essence. No sugar or artificial sweetener at all.

Dude, good job holding strong. Get the beer out of the fucking house. Give it to a buddy, pour it out, shoot it with your gun....whatever.

like others have said, drinking the carbonated water helps a lot. I made the bad switch from alcohol to energy drinks, but it keeps me sober so that's all I care about.

point is, just have a can of something other than beer in your hand during your normal beer drinking time. Before you know it that will become you're new normal. You can do this man and we're here if you need help.

If people really do get high off of it, I have tons of it, bacon isn't getting cheaper and I need to buy more guns and ammo.

:laughing:

Can you cut me on this ? I need some more Bacon too. Ammo is always a plus. If you find a buyer and run short let me know. I can probably stock you back up :grinpimp:

Even the most hardcore pill poppers don't seem to even want that mess. At least from the ones that I've run in to.

It's actually used in most cases to treat Nerve pain.

Lyrica that says it's for Fibromyalgia, is the newer version of it and I didn't like that stuff at all. Messes my guts up the next day.

I haven't drank anything since Saturday. Honestly haven't even craved anything or thought about drinking anything. But I gotta say, I've felt like shit all week. Basically like mildly hungover all week long. I consulted Dr. Google and how I've felt fits mild to moderate alcohol withdrawal to the t. Evidently drinking on average of 2 or 3 beers most nights for most of my life was still enough to trigger physical alcohol withdrawal symptoms. Today I'm finally feeling close to normal. Still a mild dull headache, but the mental fog, shakiness, anxiety, almost out of body type of feeling, and nightly nightmares is mostly gone at this point.

I was just planning to stop drinking to get myself back into tip top shape because if you're drinking 2-3 beers a day that's pretty damn tough to accomplish. You kinda hang up still needing to shed 15-20 pounds. But after experiencing actual withdrawal symptoms and feeling like shit for nearly a week I think I'm just gonna plain quit.

Last edited:

The wife got me a big bottle of lemon juice. I squirt a bit of that that in some club soda or tonic water. Works for me.

I haven't drank anything since Saturday. Honestly haven't even craved anything or thought about drinking anything. But I gotta say, I've felt like shit all week. Basically like mildly hungover all week long. I consulted Dr. Google and how I've felt fits mild to moderate alcohol withdrawal to the t. Evidently drinking on average of 2 or 3 beers most nights for most of my life was still enough to trigger physical alcohol withdrawal symptoms. Today I'm finally feeling close to normal. Still a mild dull headache, but the mental fog, shakiness, anxiety, almost out of body type of feeling, and nightly nightmares is mostly gone at this point.

It was the same way for me. I couldn't sleep for shit and had some really bad dreams. I was also quick to anger, especially when the kids pissed me off. I'm not an angry guy. I had to walk away from the kids a few times. That lasted about 3 or 4 days.

Lucky for me I didn't have to go to work, so I just spent most of my time fishing while my body figured itself out.

Top Back Refresh