What's new

I quit drinking

How is dumping it out going to make not drinking worse? I’ve had people help me just to help instead of hang out drinking beer. Plus cash is easier to carry so they can buy their own stuff.
Honestly I think it is just anxiety of being used to always having it around.... sounds gay....just a mind thing.

Honestly I think it is just anxiety of being used to always having it around.... sounds gay....just a mind thing.
I was always concerned having it would allow me to drink so I wouldn’t want it. I went through The Bruery 12 days of Christmas twice before I quit (separate times) and I still have a black Tuesday 2015 in the fridge. It use to be impressive. Now it’s a waste. I gave away some fancy beers I wouldn’t ever drink.

I had 2 NA beers tonight sitting around the fire put with my wife. They had been sitting in my fridge for months. I just don't have the craving for beer like I used to. It's nice now.

But I know, if they're were real beers and I got even the slightest buzz, I'd be driving to the store right now for a 30 pack

I have wine, champagne and hard liquor in my house. I just don't drink them
This. Wife still drinks, I just don't.

I'm afraid to do the NA beer. Even though I'm much more of a cocktail guy, beer is what I crave since quitting so I figure I should stay away from it. When I'm with a drinking crowd I will put my fancy water, AKA sparkling water, in a insulated cup or bring some high end root beer and pretend I'm drinking :grinpimp:

Keep it up Blackdog!
If it doesn't work for you, then follow your lead. I've always been more of a beer guy, followed by whiskey (NA whiskey is a fucking joke, don't do it!) but I like the taste of beer so it bridges the gap for me.

I've done sparkling water at some bar events, but I don't drink soda so root beer is a no go for me.

I just got back from a 4 day work conference/party. At this conference, they had multiple open bars (free booze) from 5pm till 10pm. I didn't even WANT a drink. At one point, a group of us were having appetizers and I paid for a 0.0 Heineken, just to "fit in". I honestly didn't even enjoy the taste of beer anymore, and I paid $12 for a non alcoholic beer. Every time I think I want a drink, and I get myself an NA beer, I'm always disappointed with it. I'll stick to my flavored sparkling waters.

I just got back from a 4 day work conference/party. At this conference, they had multiple open bars (free booze) from 5pm till 10pm. I didn't even WANT a drink. At one point, a group of us were having appetizers and I paid for a 0.0 Heineken, just to "fit in". I honestly didn't even enjoy the taste of beer anymore, and I paid $12 for a non alcoholic beer. Every time I think I want a drink, and I get myself an NA beer, I'm always disappointed with it. I'll stick to my flavored sparkling waters.
Nice work! Im still hanging in there this week, also have a work conf coming up week after next that will be tough. Told a few at work today Im not drinking.... blamed it on getting in better shape so I don't have to deal with the questions yet.

Made it through my first weekend! Was really calm weekend with wife and kids and no friends. Wife had wine out at dinner, I stuck to iced tea. Was nice to wake up both days with lots of energy and to also not worry about driving.

Was at a breakfast joint in SLC this morning, they had NA tequila, rum, etc. Actually pretty damn good.
I quit several months ago, just because. Don't miss it at all, but it's kinda nice to have something to sip on besides sparkling water.
1000002949.jpg

Was at a breakfast joint in SLC this morning, they had NA tequila, rum, etc. Actually pretty damn good.
I quit several months ago, just because. Don't miss it at all, but it's kinda nice to have something to sip on besides sparkling water.
1000002949.jpg

I'm glad you are doing well with not drinking.

My advice for what it's worth is to be careful with stuff like this. Even though you quit "just because" it's easy to take that next step to the real thing.

I wish you the best.

1000002949.jpg
I find this extremely interesting. Danny Trejo has been sober for a number of years, attends AA, and is vocal about his sobriety within the organization. Zero proof, hard liquor substitutes are just asking for trouble. I'm kind of shocked that Trejo would put his name on it, even if it is zero proof.

I'm glad you are doing well with not drinking.

My advice for what it's worth is to be careful with stuff like this. Even though you quit "just because" it's easy to take that next step to the real thing.

I wish you the best.
I quit to support my wife in not drinking, and to do what's best for my body for awhile. I haven't ever said I won't have a drink again, I'm just not planning on having any anytime soon.

Made it through my first weekend! Was really calm weekend with wife and kids and no friends. Wife had wine out at dinner, I stuck to iced tea. Was nice to wake up both days with lots of energy and to also not worry about driving.
Congrats. :grinpimp: I really like not having to worry about driving and also not feeling like shit the next morning.

Congrats. :grinpimp: I really like not having to worry about driving and also not feeling like shit the next morning.
Thanks! Today is end my second weekend also. Still holding strong! Wife was out of town Friday and most of Sat for funeral and I went to dinner with one of my drinking buddies, was tough but stuck to iced tea. He drank a couple beers but way less than normal....it wasn't like we were having a contest of who could drink the most and it ended with dinner vs drinking in shop after or a sports bar. Feeling pretty good so far, just been drinking flavored seltzer water on the urges or working out. Sleep has been off/on, up really early, but earlier to bed.

Thanks! Today is end my second weekend also. Still holding strong! Wife was out of town Friday and most of Sat for funeral and I went to dinner with one of my drinking buddies, was tough but stuck to iced tea. He drank a couple beers but way less than normal....it wasn't like we were having a contest of who could drink the most and it ended with dinner vs drinking in shop after or a sports bar. Feeling pretty good so far, just been drinking flavored seltzer water on the urges or working out. Sleep has been off/on, up really early, but earlier to bed.
I've been drinking "Bubly", mostly because it has no sugar or sweeteners. The local CostCo here started carrying the Kirkland brand of flavored sparkling water and it's pretty good, cheaper too at $10.97/35 pack.

I quit to support my wife in not drinking, and to do what's best for my body for awhile. I haven't ever said I won't have a drink again, I'm just not planning on having any anytime soon.

I am aware of why you aren't drinking at the present time. I was just pointing out something you may not have realized.

Reactions: Add
Same here, wife drinks, mostly white wine and an occasional Corona with Mexican food. After being sober for 23+ years people drinking around me is not a problem. I can even get wine/beer out of the fridge and pass it out, no problem.
Man has it been 23 years already?? That's awesome Gary! Feel like just yesterday, the old pbb crew was up in Big Bear, wheeling.

I've been drinking "Bubly", mostly because it has no sugar or sweeteners. The local CostCo here started carrying the Kirkland brand of flavored sparkling water and it's pretty good, cheaper too at $10.97/35 pack.
I love on the Kirkland flavored sparkling waters. I go through a 35 pack in about a week and a half. We usually buy 2 or 3 cases every time we go to costco

Saw some FB drama between a husband and wife that I'm friends with, last week.
She was on FB asking to borrow random things and tools that I know her husband has. I messaged her and told her she could borrow mine but asked her why her husband doesn't have them. She informed me that he kicked her out. I said I'm sorry and didn't pry and ask any.ore questions.

Well I saw her husband at the softball meeting tonight, as he and I have played together for the last 15 years. He told me he threw he out cus her drinking got out of hand again. It's the 2nd time it's happened and the 2nd time she's done it. I was blown away when he told me as I never knew she had a drinking problem in the past. She hid it well....

I feel bad for their kids (16 and 12). Just goes to show you that alcohol will destroy relationships. I can personally attest to that. I've posted the letter on here that my wife wrote me the night before she kicked me out and we called off our wedding the first time. Makes me sick to my stomach every time I read it

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh