What's new

I love this conversion, but its no longer made :(

Trashman

Trainwreck
Member Number
unnamed.jpg

I wonder how hard it would be to replicate the hardtop?

Filling the doors/cage work/rear bed drop in seems simple enough to do, but I have never worked with fiberglass.

DV8 doesn't still make a kit to do that?

I bet if you looked hard enough you could find a NOS Mopar JL8 kit sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

According to Google the DV8 kit is still available for about 7k.

The JK in OPs post has the DV8 kit on it...

Edit: OP's google-fu skills suck dick. :flipoff2:
Last time I was on DV8s website it said "No longer available"

:flipoff2:

If your willing to open your wallet, Aqualou will make whatever custom things you want. Won't be a fiberglass top, but would be aluminum and $$$.

Might also look at Chris Durham motorsports, Chris Durham Motorsports

and see if he is interested in making something like that in fiberglass...

Last edited:
That's Tech Tim here, he works for NR4x4. I bet if you wanted one bad enough a kit could be found. Sombody somewhere has one of those kicking around that never got purchased and/or installed, it's just a matter of finding it.

Yep. That was the reply we got back word for word in the quotes.

We never carried them in stock, so unfortunately we don't have one gathering dust in a corner.

We did one of those kits for a local customer and still see it driving around occasionally. It's weird in that it was cool, but they just missed the mark with the kit.

The Mopar JK-8 kit is way nicer, but a hell of a lot more work:

iu.jpeg

Don't know if they're still available but you'd probably have better luck finding one of these than the DV8 kit.

Wasn't there a setup called the Brute or something?

So.... Do we think the kits lost interest due to the Gladiator release? Or did Jeep/Fiat provide incentive for them to go away? :stirthepot:

I would say price and demand is what drove them away. how many JK owners actually purchased it? I would love see a 2dr version of the gladiator honestly.
Im surprised there isnt one. Since they made the prototype.

unnamed-2.jpg

I would love to convert mine now that my kiddos are getting older we rarely ALL go somewhere anymore.

I could get a lot more use from it rather than the SUV setup.

I sold my hardtop to run softtop 100% but thought about attempting a half cab. Unfortunetly the pass rear corner was smashed at some point and "fixed"...but not real well.

That's the J8. They made a bunch of them for the Israeli military or something like that. They made so many you can buy parts on rock auto. They have jk dana 44 5x5.5 unit bearings and brakes.
I didnt know that. I thought it was just a prototype.

They were pretty unique vehicles. They had rear leaf springs, a semifloat dana 60 rear and the jk dana 44 front. I believe they were offered with either the VM2.8 diesel or a 5.7 hemi with the 545FE trans.

I hate to quote Wikipedia, but they have a nifty little article on them;

I would say price and demand is what drove them away. how many JK owners actually purchased it? I would love see a 2dr version of the gladiator honestly.

Yep, price and demand.

Guessing that DV8 would make more of those fiberglass kits if someone was to order a bunch of them.

Im surprised there isnt one. Since they made the prototype.

unnamed-2.jpg

That's the J8. They made a bunch of them for the Israeli military or something like that. They made so many you can buy parts on rock auto. They have jk dana 44 5x5.5 unit bearings and brakes.

And that's why Mopar has that JK-8 conversion kit. That had all the body panel stamps from making the J8, so why not offer it as a kit.
There are a bunch of JK-8 conversions out there running around, you'll find a bunch of images on google:

iu-2.jpeg

unnamed.jpg

I wonder how hard it would be to replicate the hardtop?

Filling the doors/cage work/rear bed drop in seems simple enough to do, but I have never worked with fiberglass.
Pretty sure that is still available from Action Camper. Went wheeling with Eric Thater, the guy that designed it, back in January. He makes some awesome products for a wide range of industries but his first love is Jeeps...

v003.jpg

Top Back Refresh