What's new

I keep melting plug wires (v8 s10)

Who was it at the old place that did tunes? I’m not opposed to getting a different ecm

Also, I opened the plug wires, and what do you know, 90 degree boots for the distributor. I need straight boots for the flat cap on the vortec.

Also, I opened the plug wires, and what do you know, 90 degree boots for the distributor. I need straight boots for the flat cap on the vortec.
That sucks, but I'm sure that summit will take them back. "Product doesn't match description".

Once again Taylor pro wires it was a set and came with every style boot configuration you would want ,had to assemble both ends and cut to length
Came in a bunch of different colors even.
Not even sure if still available.

I use a set of Patriot Exhaust H8036 headers and they fit great. I have a 95 with a 350. Factory plug wires and no issues. I do have a temp sender on the driver side head that the connector was laying on the tube.

Had to hear wrap that spot and use a bare wire and terminal on the sender but it works. I'd buy them again.

Good luck with the ECM. The vortec engines are quite the bastard child. That is why I stuck with a TBI truck. Not as cool but everything I read about the newer engines didn't sound fun to swap.

Those look like a good fit. The vortec 5.7 swap wasn’t bad at all for my 04. There’s wasn’t a lot of wiring to do.

Off the top of my head it was: #1 injector was in the correct pin, had to move #2-6 and add 7 and 8. Added 2 wires for the Efan. Had to separate the ground from the o2 sensor. And change the knock sensor from 2 wire to 1 wire and re pin it.

The only thing it can get programmed as is an 02 express van since that is the only thing that came with the vortec 5.7 with this style of computer. Where I got in trouble there is putting a cam in and having an LS guy try to tune it. I don’t think I’d of had as much trouble if I left the 5.7 stock and had him do a stock tune. At this point I’m kinda wishing I’d of regeared the axles and left the 4.3 that was always reliable haha

Well, I think I found the problem. First pic is where I had bent it. The others I suspect were from breaking the motor mounts 2 years ago.

So, weld it and try it again, or get something else?

Shorty plugs are in.
D22761B0-10BA-4EB8-B07A-478E33BDBD56.jpeg
0B1D51AF-50F6-4DB7-A93B-C4FD55CD039A.jpeg
D7379B84-48FB-4851-8C79-CA1D7940AB4B.jpeg
C11137CB-7355-43A5-8FD0-1BF2C0CA5D5A.jpeg

This has finally been fixed.
I couldn’t get the header welded good enough to not leak. I ended up buying another one (you can buy just one).

So a recap, I hit a deer last October. Truck sat for a little while. Get it back together, and it has a weird speedometer issue, turned out the rear tcase yoke was loose, letting the vss spin (Jbconversions super short slip yoke eliminator vss, not stock vss). Keep melting plug wires. Swap the accell shorty plugs in and find the broken header. Attempt to weld up header and swap it back on, still runs terrible. Convince myself it’s going to be a pain to order just one and put it off forever. Finally call Sanderson and it took 3 minutes to order it. Me to Sanderson “ hey can I order just one header?” Sanderson lady “yup”. Alrighty then. Since the header puts the collector in a very tight spot that I can’t get my hands into to get the bolts in, I previously had my buddy that does exhuast cut it off and put a flex piece on, so took new and old header to him to reconfuckulate. I had also found a broken motor mount, which was probably the reason for the broken header. Get it back together, truck runs much much better, but has a weird misfire or something going on. I can’t find anything wrong. Take it to my mechanic buddy to have him fix a lifter tick and see if he can find the problem. Took him an hour to fix it, he said the lifter tick was the issue, because it was loose enough the exhuast valve probably wasn’t fully opening.

I’ve been driving it for a week now. I missed my baby. It’s pretty rowdy when it’s running good. The computer tune I still think is not as good as it could or should be.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh