What's new

I don't normally do the GoFundMe thing, but...

ProjectTwin

Member Number
...for this one I'm making an exception.

Friend of mine was in an accident on the 20th. A few of us have been working to sort things out the past couple of days to get things taken care of for him. Rent, utilities, daycare and stuff for the boys, mostly.

He was taking the boys to daycare/school before going to work. A couple of week ago he had just wrapped up the court battle to get custody of his boys because the mom was an alcoholic (also the reason he's divorced). So he's been doing everything right. Fought the good fight, got the boys, and while he doesn't have much, he has been working to provide for them. The mom is supposed to pay child support but doesn't. He was at the house recently talking about how he'd be in jail if he didn't pay.

So two days ago a woman pulled out in front of him. She was supposed to stop, didn't, and drove in front of him. He T-boned her at about 50-55.

He has a calcium issue (osteopetrosis). That - when combined with this wreck, fucked him up pretty bad. The oldest boy was in the front seat. He has the same osteopetrosis issue. That's the reason for all of the broken bones.

So this isn't some BS GoFundMe, He's fucked up. Hard.

All of his ribs are broken
Punctured right lung
Broken right femur
Both ankles are broken
Spinal injuries (several fractures - T1 T2 T5 T6)
Ruptured spleen
Internal bleeding
Broken fingers
Broken knee
Broken arm
Deep knee wound
Gashed forehead
Mouth busted open
All of his teeth in the front are gone
Said his left knee was filleted open.

The one son that was in the car with him has a fractured skull, spinal fractures, broken ribs, broken collar bone.

Sept 11th was his birthday. We all chipped in a bought him a new Harbor Freight toolbox for the shop. He said it was the nicest thing anyone had done for him - even though it was yellow. :homer:

If you guys could help I know he'd appreciate the fuck out of it.

Last edited:
I’m amazed.

Just got off the phone with him. He sent me pictures of his car and the one that he hit.

He was on a primary road and had right of way. The woman came to a stop, looked in his direction, then pulled out in front of him.

The guy behind him reported everything to the police.

He said that he was pinned in the car and his only concern was the boy.

Fucker actually took a pic after he got his knees out of the dash and was trying to get to his son. That’s when he realized his femur was broken.

Can’t see into his knee from this image, but you can see the big-ass cut. He said you could look into it.

26BECFF8-AADA-4D4C-8049-59CBE2EC932C.jpeg
Pics of the Toyota that pulled out in front of him.

A5D02FC5-98A8-4D63-963D-83F94F8AA93D.jpeg
7474ADDC-14CB-423E-BCAB-46FDEE5DFBF5.jpeg

His car.
45B70C6B-1959-43E0-BC2F-DBBFEBFE68EC.jpeg
2CE3AC56-0583-49FE-9344-5E105E6138A3.jpeg
897A7AA9-80D3-4F6C-9114-D8CF594A927E.jpeg

Attachments

• 2F717B97-6ADE-499C-9FF4-CCEA903627C6.jpeg
    2F717B97-6ADE-499C-9FF4-CCEA903627C6.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 17
  • F58D75F9-293B-4BE9-9E92-07F580C37FA6.jpeg
    F58D75F9-293B-4BE9-9E92-07F580C37FA6.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 16
Yikes :eek:

How did that not deploy the airbags?

That’s what I said. Baffles me.

He said he’s glad they didn’t because him and the boy would’ve been fucked up more by the airbags due to the bone condition.

:eek:

Cars are definitely stronger these days, but even with crumple zones and whatnot, it doesn't keep the occupants from getting ragdolled. Glad he's alive, but he's going to have a long road of recovery.

I been looking to buy a shorty upper, but this needs done donated sent a Benji
How bad was the other driver hurt?

In.

With their bone condition, will the bones heal?

Mods, please pin this thread.

I been looking to buy a shorty upper, but this needs done donated sent a Benji
How bad was the other driver hurt?

He said they had to use jaws of life to get her out. She couldn’t straighten her legs for whatever reason.

He said that since he was more critical he left as quick as they could get him out in the first ambulance and her and his screaming kid rode in the 2nd one.

I’m in with the Jackson five. Lord knows this place has helped me out in the past.

Because there was a problem in the restraints system that shut it down. Probably had a light on in the cluster that had been ignored (or removed).

If the telltale had been removed, there would have been a very annoying audible alert that had been ignored every time the vehicle was started.

In.

With their bone condition, will the bones heal?

Mods, please pin this thread.

He’s had broken bones in the past. His foot on his right leg is misaligned and points about 90 degrees to the right when he stands. He kind of shuffles when he walks, and he’s like me - sandals all the time.

The bone condition is an over-abundance of calcium. They’re really hard, but brittle because they’re so hard.

He said imagine something you could punch and wouldn’t break, but if it fell 3 feet it’ll shatter.

I was thinking of glass. He said more like a marble.

Told the wife that I’m amazed he’s talking. Didn’t expect him to be talking with everything busted.

She said “at least you get to hear him talk”

I was bullshittin’ and carrying on with him and stopped. Told him I shouldn’t be making him laugh.
I told him I bet coughing, sneezing, and laughing are a bitch with all of his ribs broken and the punctured lung.

He said he threw up. THAT was fucking horrible.

They also wanted to drill his femur. He was awake. 😂

He asked if they were going to sedate him before they start drilling into his leg.

He was told no. They’d numb it.

“But I’m still going to feel it?”

“Oh, you’ll definitely feel it.”

“The fuck I will. You’re not drilling my leg”

“Well, you have to sign off on the paperwork first.”

“Don’t even bring the paperwork to me.” 😂

Turns out that was the wrong thing. They had to plate it.

Oh, his right arm had been plated in the past. It broke above the plate so they’re working on that.

Said he’s going back into surgery tomorrow.

They’re worried about pneumonia with the collapsed lung. Making him take deep breaths.

Because there was a problem in the restraints system that shut it down. Probably had a light on in the cluster that had been ignored (or removed).

If the telltale had been removed, there would have been a very annoying audible alert that had been ignored every time the vehicle was started.

He’s a Honda guy. Just picked this one up 3 weeks or so ago.

Damn. It may be worth investigating if the restraints system had been tampered with. Lots of Chinese parts that are made to look like airbags, but aren't the real deal.

Damn. It may be worth investigating if the restraints system had been tampered with. Lots of Chinese parts that are made to look like airbags, but aren't the real deal.

Also alot of defective ones floating around. I caught a glimpse of a news article about that recently but can't remember the details.

Not just defects, but outright "airbag simulators" on ebay and elsewhere that are a fraction of the cost of actual save your life airbags.

I'm willing to bet that the vehicle in question has been tampered with and not properly repaired after a previous crash.

I had a Honda Pilot in my shop a couple months ago that needed a steering wheel airbag and passenger side front facing (glovebox) airbag replaced after customer smoked a rock turning into his driveway. Very little cosmetic damage noted.

Estimate was $4590 just to replace those 2 airbags.

Done and glad to hear it sounds like he's keeping his spirits up!

With how the steering wheel is bent and his knees buried in the dash there's no way he had a seatbelt on. So the supplemental restraint of the airbag is kind of a moot point. Plus the seatbelt buckle switch is part of the airbag system, if the belt isnt buckled the crash severity trigger threshold is raised and deployment power reduced on dual stage bags because the body will already be on the steering wheel before the bag has a chance to inflate and injuries would be worse if It went off full power.

It still should have deployed in a crash that hard though so I'd agree with tampering. The seatbelt switch is a common failure on those Hondas and maybe someone pulled the fuses to turn off the srs light instead of taking it to a Honda dealer for free warranty replacement. They have lifetime coverage of those parts.

With his osteoporosis the seatbelt would have likely still broken a couple ribs and collarbone but his face and femur would be in a lot better shape. I get that buckling up is a personal choice but the consequences of not doing it hurt unnecessarily.

Hope him & the kid heal soon.

Top Back Refresh