What's new

Hydraulic trailer jacks

Smithy

Shrunken Member
Member Number
Loc
Syracuse NY
I want to replace the peg leg jack on my trailer with a landing gear setup. Are hydraulic jacks worth the extra money? Or stick with the traditional hand crank style with a cordless drill adapter? There is already a battery for the winch on board.

I want to replace the peg leg jack on my trailer with a landing gear setup. Are hydraulic jacks worth the extra money? Or stick with the traditional hand crank style with a cordless drill adapter? There is already a battery for the winch on board.

My old work had 1 trailer with electric and 1 hydraulic. They were both nice for heavier trailers. I don't know if I would add a whole pump and everything for a hydraulic jack over just the electric jack.

If it's just a regular car trailer, I don't think it's worth it.

It's a 20' 14k deckover. Nothing too heavy, but a little more weight than a car trailer.

More of a general question, not necessarily application specific

Last edited:
I'd weld on a pair of used landing gear before I spent $$$ on a fancy solution. You should be able to find someone within a couple hours drive who sells used semi and trailer parts.

I have a buddy with a big redneck toy hauler and he loves his hydraulic trailer jacks. He says it's strong enough to pick up the back end of the truck and change tires if need be.

I'll get one of those setups for my trailer some day.

Just remembered, this is the company he used. He's got four jacks, and the system can auto level itself. Pretty damn cool, but it is expensive.

For heavy like dump trailer heavy the hydraulic jack is a fucking game changer.
For regular heavy a simple electric jack would be equally as bad ass but lacks the duty cycle and bombproof-ness to compete with a mechanical.

Used this on a 10k dump trailer with a wireless remote. The customer is over the moon about it.
No battery on the trailer, just 1/0 cables from the starter on the truck to the rear bumper.

$60 is fucking cheap...
stillwell-7k-jack-325007.1.jpg

Use a boat trim pump for powering it.
1677265819979.png

Last edited:
Used this on a 10k dump trailer with a wireless remote. The customer is over the moon about it.
No battery on the trailer, just 1/0 cables from the starter on the truck to the rear bumper.

$60 is fucking cheap...
:laughing: I was just looking at those. Stupid cheap for a 24" hydraulic cylinder.

And a Chinese pump would bring the cost to around the same price as a manual crank setup.

Edit: 2 more of those jacks with some eyes welded on and I could make the ramps powered as well :idea:

Last edited:
I'd weld on a pair of used landing gear before I spent $$$ on a fancy solution. You should be able to find someone within a couple hours drive who sells used semi and trailer parts.

The universe might be imploding, that's the 2nd time we've agreed on something in 1 day :flipoff2:

Those are sweet for the 2 speed, then when the wieght hits, you got crawler gear.

The dual 10k or whatever Jack's on my work trailer are way harder to turn than any semi trailer with 3x's the wieght.

The universe might be imploding, that's the 2nd time we've agreed on something in 1 day :flipoff2:

Those are sweet for the 2 speed, then when the wieght hits, you got crawler gear.

The dual 10k or whatever Jack's on my work trailer are way harder to turn than any semi trailer with 3x's the wieght.
Just so I can keep all the ****s straight, are you pro m18 grease gun or against? :flipoff2:

I'm just trying to get this straight, manual grease guns are dumb per consensus but manual jacks are the best.

I'm just trying to get this straight, manual grease guns are dumb per consensus but manual jacks are the best.

For the price difference, manual jack gets it done. If I owned a business and was swapping trailers often, I could see the cost of powered jacks being worth it. Otherwise, it's hard to justify.

Unless there is a budget option I'm missing?

Edit: I did not realize that above $60 jack was actually hydraulic. Literally the same price as some nicer manual jacks. I might add 2 of those to my deck over since it already has hydro.

On a dump trailer it's a no brainier.

On something that doesn't already have hydro I wouldn't.

At $60 a pop those a real attractive for anything that needs outriggers though.

He linked a $188 2 way pump above.
That is a pretty damn cheap setup.
I was going to put this on my RV to replace the electric but I don't need the weight.

If you are creative and can get a electric power steering pump cheap from the junk yard you might do this deal even cheaper.

For a heavy trailer with a slow jack a single speed manual is brutal.

My buddy likes how he can leave the trailer all the way down now as another deterrent to theft.

If I had a good manual jack I would try the ATV chain drive conversion, because if you put the winch in neutral you still have a manual jack. Id run it off a M18 9 or 12ah battery.

He linked a $188 2 way pump above.
That is a pretty damn cheap setup.
I was going to put this on my RV to replace the electric but I don't need the weight.

If you are creative and can get a electric power steering pump cheap from the junk yard you might do this deal even cheaper.

For a heavy trailer with a slow jack a single speed manual is brutal.
I'm not a fan of those pumps

I replaced a lot of trim pumps when I was younger and those were "nice" marine shit. Granted they lived in the salt. The chiniese electro-over-hydro doesn't give me the warm fuzzies for a trailer. An indoor application like a press or a lift I'd run one all day but something that sits outside with months between being used is a different story.

I'm not a fan of those pumps

I replaced a lot of trim pumps when I was younger and those were "nice" marine shit. Granted they lived in the salt. The chiniese electro-over-hydro doesn't give me the warm fuzzies for a trailer. An indoor application like a press or a lift I'd run one all day but something that sits outside with months between being used is a different story.
I get it just saying if you are adventurous you can source cheaper hydraulic power sources.

I had a thought yesterday about using a cordless drill and a power steering pump, I haven't done any calculations on that just thinking about it.

I had a thought yesterday about using a cordless drill and a power steering pump, I haven't done any calculations on that just thinking about it.
I thought up this exact solution yesterday while staning in a field thinking about the cheapest way to use my existing junk to move the hydraulics on a dead backhoe. :laughing:

Cordless drill is right in the correct RPM ballpark for a hydro pump.

I thought up this exact solution yesterday while staning in a field thinking about the cheapest way to use my existing junk to move the hydraulics on a dead backhoe. :laughing:

Cordless drill is right in the correct RPM ballpark for a hydro pump.
Poor people got poor ways :laughing:
I think the electric power steering pump sounds good though. Needle valve/check valve to lower?
Even run it off M18 battery.

Power steering pump seems easy. Some have really simple filler knecks that would be easy to extend for more volume.

1677507684186.png

Top Back Refresh