What's new

Hydraulic issues on boom lift

acetree

Member Number
I have a altec bucket lift on my Ford while I'm driving down the street the PTO is pushed down but on the way home sometimes the hydraulics will engage and I will have to shut the truck off to stop it after a while it stops happening until the next day or so what could it be?

Solution
Was the PTO just put on? Sounds like it could be a little tight.

Otherwise is it electric operated? Cable? Air?

On new trucks there is supposed to be backlash in the gears. You use extra gaskets to set the backlash, essentially moving the pto farther or closer to the trans.

If they are too tight, when the trans heats up the gears expand. It usually creates a whining noise and with enough pressure can slowly spin the PTO.

On new trucks there is supposed to be backlash in the gears. You use extra gaskets to set the backlash, essentially moving the pto farther or closer to the trans.

If they are too tight, when the trans heats up the gears expand. It usually creates a whining noise and with enough pressure can slowly spin the PTO.

Solution

I was only stating the PTO because I'm letting you know that I'm driving down the street the PTO is disengaged but while I'm driving out of nowhere the hydraulics engaged it sounds as if One of the levers are actually being used it's like as if you raise the outriggers and once it raises all the way in you just keep the switch engaged that's what's happening but none of the switches when switched stops the problem it just happens out of nowhere while driving I have to pull over and turn the vehicle off so that the wiring doesn't overheat nothing is jammed no lever is jammed it just does it out of nowhere

No the PTO is completely disengaged and I'm driving down the street what happens it's a hydraulics turn on as if you were raising the outrigger and once the outrigorous fully lifted you just continued to hold the hydraulic lever in the up position. The only problem is no lever is being used I'm driving down the street I pull over I switch every lever I can in the bucket on the boom down below nothing stops the problem and I have to turn the vehicle off so that I don't overheat the wires and cause further damage but after a while I could turn The vehicle back on and it's back to normal

I was only stating the PTO because I'm letting you know that I'm driving down the street the PTO is disengaged but while I'm driving out of nowhere the hydraulics engaged it sounds as if One of the levers are actually being used it's like as if you raise the outriggers and once it raises all the way in you just keep the switch engaged that's what's happening but none of the switches when switched stops the problem it just happens out of nowhere while driving I have to pull over and turn the vehicle off so that the wiring doesn't overheat nothing is jammed no lever is jammed it just does it out of nowhere

No the PTO is completely disengaged and I'm driving down the street what happens it's a hydraulics turn on as if you were raising the outrigger and once the outrigorous fully lifted you just continued to hold the hydraulic lever in the up position. The only problem is no lever is being used I'm driving down the street I pull over I switch every lever I can in the bucket on the boom down below nothing stops the problem and I have to turn the vehicle off so that I don't overheat the wires and cause further damage but after a while I could turn The vehicle back on and it's back to normal
So basically what I'm saying is while I'm driving down the street out of nowhere a hydraulic pump turns on and continues to run until I turn the truck off

So basically what I'm saying is while I'm driving down the street out of nowhere a hydraulic pump turns on and continues to run until I turn the truck off
Ok, so you have a switch in the cab that turns on the PTO?

Can you unplug it?

Or what about unplugging it at the PTO?

That would just help troubleshoot if it is electrical or mechanical issue.

Top Back Refresh