What's new

Hp8 vs 9.5 front third

Crashhawk

That Guy
Member Number
Loc
Ky
Bench building my next buggy and thinking about hp8 vs 9.5 in the front.

I'm talking fabbed housing and fully built diff, so same outer, locker, and all that jazz.

Which one?

What outer?
Not 100% but looking into something like Adamwende s axles. Late 90s dodge bj60 inner/outer C and unit bearings would be sweet for the cost, weight and simplicity. Also this would be on a light, low powered crawler.

Bench building my next buggy and thinking about hp8 vs 9.5 in the front.

I'm talking fabbed housing and fully built diff, so same outer, locker, and all that jazz.

Which one?
Addicted offroad did a 4runner with LC9.5’s a number of years ago. Seems like it was a good choice

A buddy of mine back home built a pair of 9.5s for his FJ40 rock crawler and they seemed to be decent. As far as I know he hasn't broken a front ring and pinion to date. I don't believe he has a load bolt installed either.

ford 9" with 05+ superduty knuckles and machined axle shafts for 50 degree steering
Meritor 4000 with jhf portals. 12bolt centers with Rockwell outer. 14bolt drop out with d30 outers.

One of the more important factors, for me, is the surplus of thirds I already have.

Also haven't really seen a comparison of hp8 and 9.5 in a front axle. Figured I'd start a thread for posterity.

I ran a hp8 in with an air locker and Toyota mini truck outers. I’m not super hard on stuff but not easy either and all that survived with no issues under my Tacoma and 39s.

I eventually got tired of worrying about it and pulled it out and built a 609 with a low pinion 9 in and king pin outers and it’s been good. 9 in stuff is easy to source the and kingpin outers Match my rear and I can pick everything up at the local parts store If I break something which made picking a 609 easy over a 9.5 with toyota outers.

Way more likely to find someone with kingpin stuff it seems if something breaks.

People still fuck with kingpin outers? No wonder stupid people pay $1000+ for 40 year old axles.

People still fuck with kingpin outers? No wonder stupid people pay $1000+ for 40 year old axles.
Rear axle was already using Chevy kingpin hubs and spindles etc (solid axle industry stuff) so only made sense to make the front match vs carrying completely different spares

Meritor 4000 with jhf portals. 12bolt centers with Rockwell outer. 14bolt drop out with d30 outers.

One of the more important factors, for me, is the surplus of thirds I already have.

Also haven't really seen a comparison of hp8 and 9.5 in a front axle. Figured I'd start a thread for posterity.

Except the 9" axle can be built cheaper than a stupid customer Toyota axle. Even if you have the 3rd, it's a waste of money.

9" housing with 99-04 Ford or 94-02? Dodge outters (same inner c) can be done pretty cheap really compared to full diamond Toyota jerk session axle only to bend a knuckle ball or break a 30 sine inner.

Rear axle was already using Chevy kingpin hubs and spindles etc (solid axle industry stuff) so only made sense to make the front match vs carrying completely different spares
Not knocking you but it blows my mind when I see people paying stupid for for an inferior axle.

Not knocking you but it blows my mind when I see people paying stupid for for an inferior axle.
I have about the same into my 609 kingpin front that most have into junkyard axles (figuring most paid 800-1000 or more for an axle to start which is normal on the west coast.)

And although the kingpin stuff may be old I wouldn’t call it inferior for a weekend wheeler. Kingpin stuff is proven just as the 05+ is proven time and time again for your average joe. (Assuming we are comparing kingpin to unit bearings)

Kingpin stuff is plentiful and tons of aftermarket support and I think once there’s a better steering option for 05+ it would be better (there may be I just don’t look)

Not trying to argue or derail just an observation since 05+ superdiry axles are all the craze right now. And all are better and easier to source than anything toyota lol

fabricated housing + toy diff = waste of time :flipoff2:

you do you though :laughing:

the lower prices and endless support for a ford 9" diff makes it a no brainer to me for a lighter weight rig

if i had toyota shit laying around it would all be sold to pay for the non toyota stuff :flipoff2:

I have about the same into my 609 kingpin front that most have into junkyard axles (figuring most paid 800-1000 or more for an axle to start which is normal on the west coast.)

And although the kingpin stuff may be old I wouldn’t call it inferior for a weekend wheeler. Kingpin stuff is proven just as the 05+ is proven time and time again for your average joe. (Assuming we are comparing kingpin to unit bearings)

Kingpin stuff is plentiful and tons of aftermarket support and I think once there’s a better steering option for 05+ it would be better (there may be I just don’t look)

Not trying to argue or derail just an observation since 05+ superdiry axles are all the craze right now. And all are better and easier to source than anything toyota lol
Aisin doesn't wheel, don't waste your time justifying your build!

For the op I have a 9.5" front, and im not worried about it, but I have had an assfull if dealing with Toyota parts and not being able to find them anywhere. My next axles will be domestic based.

Aisin doesn't wheel, don't waste your time justifying your build!

For the op I have a 9.5" front, and im not worried about it, but I have had an assfull if dealing with Toyota parts and not being able to find them anywhere. My next axles will be domestic based.
Meh I don’t wheel either.

But I did ditch all my toyota stuff for that exact reason lol

Meh I don’t wheel either.

But I did ditch all my toyota stuff for that exact reason lol
After my most recent drive to evrey auto parts store in town and none of them had a banjo bolt for a tundra, and the ones they had were the wrong size bullshit I'm done with Toyota stuff.

Except the 9" axle can be built cheaper than a stupid customer Toyota axle. Even if you have the 3rd, it's a waste of money.

9" housing with 99-04 Ford or 94-02? Dodge outters (same inner c) can be done pretty cheap really compared to full diamond Toyota jerk session axle only to bend a knuckle ball or break a 30 sine inner.
the reason i say ford 9" if using a fab housing with 05+ knuckles is you can build it budget friendly with a cheap 9" 3rd and low budget shafts and then few years down the road if you start breaking parts or decide you want to run a bigger engine and/or bigger stickier tires you can upgrade the 9" 3rd to a 10" and get some big 2" shafts allowing you to reuse the housing

if the op hadnt said
I'm talking fabbed housing and fully built diff
i would have kept my mouth shut :flipoff2:

To that end, what kind of options are there for 35spline lockers in the 9.5?

About to go creep through Mr Stubs build...

As mentioned, front range off road can machine a spool, or ARB. Only two options.

9.5 has a quasi mid pinion. Custom housing and links, theres no advantage for a HP8.

In a leaf sprung ratted out beater truck, arguments could be made for either.

Reactions: RTH
Haters can hate, cool.
HP8 with fabricated housing and all the best Toyota goodies lasted me through two EMCs... No rebuilds necessary.
I still 'wheel alot, now on 37" stickys, shit still holds.
Can't get parts? Should have thought ahead and stocked up.

d. none of the above

if you are going to keep toyota drivetrain, the 8.4 is the only answer.

if you are going v8, both options suck

I went down this rabbit hole a few years ago. This is all what little I know on 9.5s

The 90-97 (if I remember correctly) are all about the same. Earlier third housings are built a little different than the 90s version and there's a course and fine thread pinions in the early early years if I remember right. 98 and later 9.5 have 32 spline shafts again if I remember right.

The trouble is that other than the 9.5 ring gear, the vast majority out there are still 30spline carriers with 29spline pinions. Also the availability sucked at least where im at. I prefer running used junk I can find easily and for the most part cheap.

You can load bolt with Jantz kit and front range used to sell a 35 spline spool for them. There used to be an aftermarket 32 spline pinion setup (zuk did an install years back) available for them but that was discontinued. There's not a ton of locker options out there and there's no huge ratio range available for them as well.

Stubs has put these through the test for quite a few years though. He's done well in a 4cyl turbo setup. Tech Tim had a bunch of info on these on the old site also you just gotta dig for it.

I hoarded parts for a couple years... only to throw in the "i'm too poor for this nonsense" towel and go regular heavy old 60s with SD BALLJOINTS. Practical strength, availability and COST. If you want the lightweight factor and REAL dropout strength go domestic... or 8s and portals :flipoff2:

I am planning on running 9.5’s front and rear on my fj40 with a 4.8ls nv4500 and 4:1 atlas. I have seen a lot of fj40’s using the 9.5 successfully with v8’s and 38-40” tires. Just don’t be stupid. The load bolt adds good strength against deflection and if you have links or a good traction bar setup your pinion should be ok. Seems most pinion failures are due to axle wrap and extreme angles.

I am planning on running 9.5’s front and rear on my fj40 with a 4.8ls nv4500 and 4:1 atlas. I have seen a lot of fj40’s using the 9.5 successfully with v8’s and 38-40” tires. Just don’t be stupid. The load bolt adds good strength against deflection and if you have links or a good traction bar setup your pinion should be ok. Seems most pinion failures are due to axle wrap and extreme angles.

put your big boy pants on and go to a 10.5

the reason i say ford 9" if using a fab housing with 05+ knuckles is you can build it budget friendly with a cheap 9" 3rd and low budget shafts and then few years down the road if you start breaking parts or decide you want to run a bigger engine and/or bigger stickier tires you can upgrade the 9" 3rd to a 10" and get some big 2" shafts allowing you to reuse the housing

if the op hadnt said

i would have kept my mouth shut :flipoff2:

I agree, I just figured the 99-04 stuff is plenty for most and can be had pretty cheap.

Haters can hate, cool.
HP8 with fabricated housing and all the best Toyota goodies lasted me through two EMCs... No rebuilds necessary.
I still 'wheel alot, now on 37" stickys, shit still holds.
Can't get parts? Should have thought ahead and stocked up.

It's not hate, it's just pointless to do it from scratch just cause. When I've priced it out, depending on what you do for shafts in the 609, it's actually cheaper than a full bling Toyota axle. If you aquire parts over time it makes more sense, but starting from scratch, no way.

I had he'll fire outters and RCVs on my last rig. I broke a couple front V6 diffs and ended up bending the trussed housing. It was going to be something like $3k for a diamond housing and a built hp 3rd. With how popular 9" stuff is, that goes a long way towards building one. Then as mentioned, if you break something, you have room to upgrade.

Top Back Refresh