What's new

How To Season 101

CDA 455 II

ANFAQUE2
Member Number
Loc
No Country For Old Men
How in the flyin' fuck does one season a dish?

Are there do's and don'ts of seasoning?

Is seasoning a dish like the color wheel; if one uses THIS seasoning, you don't use THAT seasoning because it clashes.....blah, blah, blah.

The only seasonings I got down pack is salt and pepper.

Help a cooking-challenged brotha out. :laughing: :homer: :emb4:

What kind of dish?

With respect to meat and poultry, SPG (Salt Pepper Garlic) is all you need. Fish require a little more tender of a touch and can use citrus to help liven the flavor (lemon) but SPG still works.

I always use oil when cooking (avocado or olive) to help set and keep a spice rub.

Gotos: cayenne, paprika, cumin, onion powder, chili powder...

veggies get drenched in said oils and baked with SPG. works for asparagus, Brussel sprouts, broccoli florets.

But to repeat, if it tastes good, don't mess with what is working for you - there is no color wheel

ETA - it's way better to be under-spiced. You can always add salt, but you can't subtract it. A general rule, less is more.
ETA2 - using fresh herbs can really send a dish - green onions/scallions, cilantro, basil, dill, thyme, rosemary... these you have to use carefully because they can really overpower.

Last edited:
Seasoning is a personal / cultural thing (IMHO)

My (our) spice cabinet is quite extensive, but we cook a wide variety of things.

One spice combo we seem to use on almost everything is garlic pepper, we love the stuff.

I told both of our girls to add things in moderation until you find what you like (unless you are following a recipe), just don’t go crazy with salt.

Our youngest recently moved in to her first apartment. I set her up with some of “our” basics in the spice rack. She’ll text once in a while asking for advice on different things. Sounds like she is getting good with cast iron, and on the grill 😎

edit

Say what you will about Pinterest… I have found some killer recipes there :smokin:

Last edited:
My wife's go to seasoning is just the basic salt, fresh ground black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder..

We have friends that just go on and on about her cooking. OMG what seasonings do you use? :confused: uh salt and pepper? :laughing:

My wife's go to seasoning is just the basic salt, fresh ground black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder..

We have friends that just go on and on about her cooking. OMG what seasonings do you use? :confused: uh salt and pepper? :laughing:
I got:
basic salt ✅
ground black pepper ✅
garlic powder ✅
onion powder ✅

Guess I have to step out of my comfort zone. :laughing: :homer:

For meats, I usually tell people to go to the store and buy generic “Cajun seasoning”. It’s usually a mix of all the good tasty stuff you (unknowingly) like and you can control the heat/taste by add more or less to whatever you are cooking.

Even sprinkling that seasoning on cheap frozen hamburger patties, changes everything.

For meats, I usually tell people to go to the store and buy generic “Cajun seasoning”. It’s usually a mix of all the good tasty stuff you (unknowingly) like and you can control the heat/taste by add more or less to whatever you are cooking.

Even sprinkling that seasoning on cheap frozen hamburger patties, changes everything.
Interesting 🤔 :smokin:

Tony Chachere's is our go to Cajun seasoning.

I got:
basic salt ✅
ground black pepper ✅
garlic powder ✅
onion powder ✅

Guess I have to step out of my comfort zone. :laughing: :homer:
I do all of the cooking. Those 4 are my main seasonings. I don’t use ground pepper. I grind my own. Way fresher taste IMO.

Tony Chachere's is our go to Cajun seasoning.
Seconded (or third'd) Have a can of that in the cabinet as well. Goya Adobo is another good one for things like chicken or pork. It doesn't have anything listed beyond what's here, but it's convenient to break out one shaker vs five or six...

And now since we're talking all-spices, how could I dare forget Old Bay? If you're not from the Mid-Atlantic Eastern Shore, you might not have heard of it, but it will zoom any kind of seafood dish there is (I buy it by the jug handle for crab season). Hell, I put it on popcorn, mixed nuts, chicken salad, tuna salad, egg salad, etc.

So many flavors out there to enjoy.

One thing nice about TC/Cajun seasoning, you can pile it on fish, toss it on the grill and bammmmm blackened. :smokin:

I like Old Bay, but the wifey doesn’t, so we do our own thing with fish, like garlic/herb butter and lemon slices. :smokin:

Last edited:
Damn dude. Seasoning is an art. Everything works well with something else. My wife is a rockstar in the kitchen and particularly knows this shit. I’ll try to get her to post.

Damn dude. Seasoning is an art. Everything works well with something else. My wife is a rockstar in the kitchen and particularly knows this shit. I’ll try to get her to post.
Thus; the thread. :flipoff2:

That's exactly why I started the thread.

If I was content with just salt and pepper, no thread needed.

One thing nice about TC/Cajun seasoning, you can pile it on fish, toss it on the grill and bammmmm blackened. :smokin:

I like Old Bay, but the wifey doesn’t, so we do our own thing with fish, like garlic/herb butter and lemon slices. :smokin:
I'm originally from Bal-mer, MD.

I buy/use Olde Bay by the pound! :laughing::homer:

I'm expanding my horizons; going to invest in some of the Cajun seasonings. :grinpimp:

For an off-the-shelf blend, Goya's "red cap" Adobo seasoning is my go-to for damn near everything. Otherwise, I don't strictly follow recipes and cook, taste, add, etc. In my opinion you can have too much salt, but never enough garlic.

On grocery list:

1) Tony Chachere's original Creole seasoning ✅
2) Goya Adobo all-purpose seasoning ✅

:smokin: :beer:
TC creole seasoning is good, It works on a lot of things. Pick up the TC “more spice” if they have it too. You know, why not ? :homer:

I have a pile of stuff and just try it out. If I'm grilling or cooking in oils I tend to go a bit lighter on the spices. If it's a sauces or casserole then I pile on more.

Our local grocery store has several blends that are made locally and I like trying them out.

Some of my go to are sage, oregano, basil, cumin, paperikia, mustard powder, white pepper, chives. It does take awhile to figure out what goes with what.

I'm not a fan of the lemon seasonings, blech. Garlic is okay but in lesser amounts.

watching cooking shows they usually show the amounts they use and with what.

There is a "Just Cook" seasoning blend in stores and I've tried a few and like them well enough. Grab it if I'm not doing more then salt and pepper.

Get kosher salt, it's a game changer. I use kosher salt and pepper on damn near any meat. Oregano and basil are my other 2 most used spices in the kitchen. Keep it simple, and add incrementally.

Use “basic” salt for baking, and coarse kosher salt for all other seasoning.

Get kosher salt, it's a game changer. I use kosher salt and pepper on damn near any meat. Oregano and basil are my other 2 most used spices in the kitchen. Keep it simple, and add incrementally.
On grocery list:

1) Tony Chachere's original Creole seasoning ✅
2) Goya Adobo all-purpose seasoning ✅
3) Tony Chachere's More Spice seasoning ✅
4) Kosher coarse salt ✅

:smokin: :beer:

Addededed :smokin:

Buy a pepper grinder and get the Tone’s peppercorn melange. That pepper is a game changer!
Pre ground pepper fucking sucks!
We use kosher salt on everything.
For steaks and burgers I use McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning. Mix it into the burger meat. Liberally apply it to the outside of a steak. It is wonderful.
You can get all of this at Walmart.

Bought wife a pepper mill years ago. like said above it is a game changer.. i am pissed when we are eating somewhere else and they only have ground pepper. have to use so much more pre ground pepper. lol

We like our pepper courser ground than talcum powder. lol

Kosher salt is the same as normal salt just without iodine which isn't bad to have. You can get coarse ground regular salt. I sorta like the pink stuff other then it's more expensive cause of the color but not pure salt.

Top Back Refresh