What's new

How much Battery should I buy?

is your concern failure or capacity?
Excellent question.:beer:

Reliability.
If it has a 60month warranty, I expect it to last 60 months.

Followed by capacity.

The pretty good battery I owned entirely up here/it had at least a 60month warranty/it lasted 66 months
If I get the Odyssey; I'll see it as an upgrade from the Les Schwab/pretty good battery.

"new" optima batteries aren't that great and I had a couple fail in about 1 year on a truck that was driven every week in AZ. The heat in Phoenix kills batteries quicker than normal but mine were mounted under the back not under the hood. Switched to Napa AGM and never an issue until I wrecked than sold the truck.

Northstar group 31 top choice, optima would be 2nd choice.
Thanks for the suggestion.:beer:

I've been looking at the Odyssey equivalent (ODX-AGM31).
It appears both these batteries are related (from same parent company).

I'm now seriously considering these group 31 batteries.🤔:eek:

I gave up on AC Delcos, Seems like they lasted right to the warranty and died.
Started switching over to the X2's power plus.

Im pretty happy with mine thus far
383.jpg

Ran a 15k winch with the truck off back in november, didnt care at all. Plus (at least where i bought it) theres a 5 year warranty. Not pro-rated, 100% free replacement.

Im pretty happy with mine thus far
383.jpg

Ran a 15k winch with the truck off back in november, didnt care at all. Plus (at least where i bought it) theres a 5 year warranty. Not pro-rated, 100% free replacement.
Batteries Plus?
Been my experience also, Bet that thing cost you a pretty penny though..
I just ran a 3/4 HP compressor for probably 30 mins and I had no noticeable drop off, And it started my sewing machine toyota without issue:lmao:

On my first one I'm reaching that 5 year window, and so far I don't notice any loss of capacity, that's the one that ran the compressor.

Northstar was bought out by EnerSys in 2019, which is the same company that bought out Odyssey in 2002. Northstar is no longer producing automotive batteries and EnerSys folded that into Odyssey. Northstar's site link for "Transportation" goes directly to Odyssey's site and Odyssey's site shows Northstar is a legacy product no longer being sold:

So Odyssey is the only option between those two. Their warranty is from 2 to 4 years according to part number and application:

X2 batteries no longer have the "Powered by Northstar" on them and they look like a rebranded Odyssey. They're down to a 4 year warranty:

This is just information so pick what works for you... :beer:

I was a Sears Diehard Platinum battery fanboi from '85 until about '05.

Once Sears went to 36month warranty AND their company really went under; I looked elsewhere.
I had one I bought in 2008 for a Craftsman garden tractor I had a snowblower on. I sold the tractor this summer with that battery still in it.

I was impressed. Usually those little batteries are good for 2-3 years max.

Crazy enough I go to fire it up to load on the guy's trailer and it's dead. Pretty sure it fully shit the bed right there. Had been sitting for several months in the shed and fired up fine that morning.

You have fucktons of space under the hood of that bronco if you move the smog pump filter and vacuum reservoir.

Run a group 35 or whatever the common MDT battery size is, I'm pretty sure it's 35.

If you step up the group size you can probably run a deep cycle and still have enough CCA.
Group 31 is what most trucks and equipment uses. At least used to, not sure on the junk built in the last 10-15 years.

That being said, group 65 is very common too, so is usually fairly cheap. The last ones I bought were $120ish each. Used to be right around $85 each before the carona though.

I end up buying what seems like a dozen batteries each year between shit crapping out or freezing and breaking.

Excellent question.:beer:

Reliability.
If it has a 60month warranty, I expect it to last 60 months.

Followed by capacity.

The pretty good battery I owned entirely up here/it had at least a 60month warranty/it lasted 66 months
If I get the Odyssey; I'll see it as an upgrade from the Les Schwab/pretty good battery.
id do two part stores batteries, a solid state isolator and rock out.

For shits and giggles;
Is there such thing as too much CCA?🤔

Odyssey has a group 31 Extreme battery with 1150 CCA.
It's about an inch bigger in each direction, and 20+lbs heavier (77lbs:eek:).

$525 :eek: :eek:

I'm pretty sure I had the die hard platinum version of that battery back when they used to be rebranded odysseys. I just grabbed the biggest one in the shelf. What was sweet is that it was mismarked at $199 instead of $249 and they honored it.

We got into a bad spot once in snow and winched for HOURS, like all night. Only had to stop and wait for the alt to charge it one time. If that battery didn't burn, I'd bet it would still be working. I have a different one in my samurai that's got to be near 10 years old and it got ran to basically zero last trip out when my alt died. Threw the trickle charger on it for a few days and it seems fine :smokin:

Batteries Plus?
Been my experience also, Bet that thing cost you a pretty penny though..
I just ran a 3/4 HP compressor for probably 30 mins and I had no noticeable drop off, And it started my sewing machine toyota without issue:lmao:

On my first one I'm reaching that 5 year window, and so far I don't notice any loss of capacity, that's the one that ran the compressor.

Yeah. Dont remember what i paid anymore, but its been quite the reliable battery.

Northstar was bought out by EnerSys in 2019, which is the same company that bought out Odyssey in 2002. Northstar is no longer producing automotive batteries and EnerSys folded that into Odyssey. Northstar's site link for "Transportation" goes directly to Odyssey's site and Odyssey's site shows Northstar is a legacy product no longer being sold:

Well that sucks.

FWIW , I have had great luck with the Duracell AGM batteries from Sams club.
Reseach said they were made by Deka , Ive had them in my RV for nearly 10 years and still seem to be very good.
I think you can get group 31 AGM around 220 dollars

I have one of those in my wifes truck (Duracell AGM) but i only bought it a month or two ago so wasnt sure on long-term reliability yet.

Deka is like 30 minutes from here, they make a ton of batteries for basically everyone in my area. That place is HUGE.

Well that sucks.
I don't see it that way, but can understand the sentiment. They really were the same battery if you looked at the pictures before any mergers.

Just my own experience here, but I'm on my third Odyssey battery. Not because of warranty, but third vehicle I've installed it on. First two, one in accident where the battery was in three years and the other one sold with the battery of five years, both without issue.. Third one is in my current vehicle and going on about 1.5 years now without issue.

My current vehicle had an AGM from Advance Auto that lasted just past it's warranty, which was 3 years, so I didn't want to purchase another auto parts store special. I was going to purchase the X2 brand, but nobody had it in stock in my area here and it was going to take over a week to receive it. After looking around more, found AutoZone carries the Odyssey battery and could get it next day with a price that was actually beating many online stores, so got the battery form them.

Anyway, everyone has different experiences with them so your mileage may vary. :beer:

I was told by a couple distributors that there’s only like 3 battery manufacturers in the U.S.
That being said if you look at the battery cases and construction you can see a ton of similarities. The guys I can’t confirm. I def have had better luck with some brands than others.

Its true, there arent that many. Internal construction varies based on how the brand wants it built tho, of course.

I don't see it that way, but can understand the sentiment. They really were the same battery if you looked at the pictures before any mergers.

I suppose thats a good way to look at it. I was just thinking it was another good battery gone from the market. But if it really is the same as the Odyssey anyway, then i guess it doesnt matter.

More CCA isn’t always better…
Original Delco batteries for the LS series trucks would last 8-10 years rated at 600CCA

Parts Store replacements 3-4 years… typically 850CCA

More plates, more cranky crank… less reliable and they seem to sulphate faster in my experience but take my 15 years of parts monkey experience with a grain of salt.

Better warranty =/= better battery
Ever thought they could make the battery cheap enough to give you 1-2 of them through the warranty period?

From the outside “they all look the same”. I hate this comparison… that’s saying a tire is a tire. A TSL Bogger is a Trepador in most mechanics minds.

For a vehicle that you are going boondocking with solo. Odyssey.

If you are out with a group of people and not solo wheeling… anything will do. AGM for safety wouldn’t be a bad thing though

I think you’re dwelling in a warmer part of the frozen north than I am, but in my experiences with agms, the cold seems to kill them faster if left to sit for too long vs. the same or less money into a standard wet-cell battery. My opinion is either get the best AGM you can buy if you are willing to take care of it, (keep it charged and warm), or stick to med-high quality wet cell batteries.

I think you’re dwelling in a warmer part of the frozen north than I am, but in my experiences with agms, the cold seems to kill them faster if left to sit for too long vs. the same or less money into a standard wet-cell battery. My opinion is either get the best AGM you can buy if you are willing to take care of it, (keep it charged and warm), or stick to med-high quality wet cell batteries.
Yeah; I'm due South of you on the 43rd parallel; vs your 53rd parallel.:eek:🥶

My Bronco is a DD/backcountry camper/constantly in use.

You have fucktons of space under the hood of that bronco if you move the smog pump filter and vacuum reservoir.

Run a group 35 or whatever the common MDT battery size is, I'm pretty sure it's 35.

If you step up the group size you can probably run a deep cycle and still have enough CCA.
Excellent point.:beer:

That being said; what is this:
1675205559797.png

Do I need it?
Can I relocate it?
Does it inhale or exhale?

I get this out of the way; it frees up a ton of space indeed.:smokin:

I just went through this for my JK (typical Rubicon/Hammers style wheeling).

I ended up ordering a Deka Intimidator from Rock Auto for cheaper than any of the parts store brands, and way cheaper than Odyssey. I paid $215 shipped.

The Odyssey is probably better, but this is about half the price.

Have a junkyard near by?

I get group 48 AGMs for $35ea, recently bought Hawker (odyssey) group 31s for $100ea.

I have dual g31s with threaded posts. On my obs f250. Fit those trays with minimal trimming. I found it's a cheaper battery with more capacity then what ever was stock. Also the threaded terminals worked way better for my cables vs having to use the clamp adapters.
Im sure the bronco tray is pretty similar

Excellent point.:beer:

That being said; what is this:
1675205559797.png

Do I need it?
Can I relocate it?
Does it inhale or exhale?

I get this out of the way; it frees up a ton of space indeed.:smokin:
It's the air filter for the smog pump. Throw it away and run a shorter belt that bypasses the pump if you haven't already. (Unless you live in CA or some other shithole that's doing visual inspections on 30yo trucks).

Top Back Refresh