What's new

Horizontal radiators

Cat mounts their skid steer radiators horizontally directly over the motor..... but I suppose no one ever drives them hard all day long in the heat of summer
AM general did it too and they were kind of known for being debris traps leading to overheating.

image.jpg

Guessing that's sarcasm? :laughing:

Equipment usually has very powerful fans, often hydraulic. But ya, any location will work with the right fan.
The problem with anything other than right in front of the engine is that you need to make like a European and spend way too much money on your fan and whatever powers it rather than just hanging it off whatever pulley lends itself well to that use.

OP, I'd try real fucking hard to make a conventional radiator work before I started putting it somewhere else.

You only have 200hp to cool. I think with a little care you should be able to do that well up front even if space is highly limited.

OP, I'd try real fucking hard to make a conventional radiator work before I started putting it somewhere else.

You only have 200hp to cool. I think with a little care you should be able to do that well up front even if space is highly limited.
This. It's an off-road rig, try to keep it as simple as possible. I have no idea how torque tubes work on a mog, but if I broke one would it take out the radiator? I don't like putting stuff that commonly fails in places where it can take out other systems that would be a nightmare to fix in the middle of no where.

AM general did it too and they were kind of known for being debris traps leading to overheating
Well that's an obvious dumb move, not sure who thought of that. I was thinking same angle, but shroud and fan on top. It's odd that the debris gathered in those lines though...

I can fit it under the hood, I just wanted to leave the grill open and see through for air flow. These cab's heat up enough, was trying to eliminate as much heat as possible under there.

It's an off-road rig, try to keep it as simple as possible. I have no idea how torque tubes work on a mog, but if I broke one would it take out the radiator?
I defiantly try to keep the K.I.S.S. mentality in mind. I've never seen a torque tube itself blow up on these, not to say it has not happened, just never seen it. Usually the outers break or the joints in the torque tube

Top Back Refresh