What's new

Hood scoop, open front or open rear?

Lil'John

Former #278
Member Number
Loc
Walking to the Rubicon
Title basically states it.

I mounted my engine high in my rig and the air cleaner needs to be above the hoodline. I don't have an official measurement yet but I believe it is in the 2 to 3 inches above.

Is there a reason to have it face forward or backward?

The rig will be used in snow and rain so having either pushed into the engine bay isn't cool. Can a forward facing scoop be weatherized?

Here is best picture I could find of my hood:
pregreen2.jpg

Rear if shit entering the scoop is a concern (mud,dirt) think trail speeds.
front for speed\hp needs.
Time for an alternative answer!

Facing rear to make use of the high pressure area at the windshield.

Rear if shit entering the scoop is a concern (mud,dirt) think trail speeds.
front for speed\hp needs.
Time for an alternative answer!
More HP isn't a concern; mild built 472 cady ;) I doubt the rig will get about 45mph:lmao:

Is it a scoop or a cowl?
What is the difference?
Time to go look at google.

Facing rear to make use of the high pressure area at the windshield.
I've seen that mentioned. And it was brought up that the high pressure area was only applicable to older vehicles because of the more vertical windshield... so I'm in luck.

Neither, because it's not the 80s?
It is a 70s rig with a 70s engine(big block cady) with a 70s transmission(SM465)

If not a scoop, what is your 2020 alternative to a carb/air cleaner going through the hood that is snow/rain friendly?

Will it be sealed? Or you just need something to cover an air cleaner sticking up through the hood?

Pick a style you like I don't think it will make a bit of difference.

Cowl induction

Caddy engine doesnt clear the front axle?
Figure out how to lower the engine or get/make a carb hat to a different filter setup.
Going lower isn't an option. The cady engine where I placed it clears nicely thanks to the 368 rear and odd divot on the passenger ;)

But if I go lower, I will end up with zero up travel since I am going mostly zero lift Dana 60;)

Did you see the picture of the vehicle in question?

Mall crawler maybe!
The picture actually was only to show the hood style and stock base rig.

That rig changed just a little bit and will see plenty of fun trails(yup.. an 80s based build on this one too:flipoff2: ):
Outside1.jpg

The one with the cady will have less roof(cut right behind the front door), 23" less ass, and 4-5" less lift than the one above:
Rear3_sml.jpg

The 45mph run will be getting over to the Rubicon:flipoff2:

Going lower isn't an option. The cady engine where I placed it clears nicely thanks to the 368 rear and odd divot on the passenger ;)

But if I go lower, I will end up with zero up travel since I am going mostly zero lift Dana 60;)

I figured, which is why I gave a 2nd option. Use a hat that has a tube or 2 down to a come filter of some type.

Putting a cowl thing on that rig just screams mullet build. Like you did it just so you can tell people about your V8 swap with a 3/4 race cam.

I figured, which is why I gave a 2nd option. Use a hat that has a tube or 2 down to a come filter of some type.

Putting a cowl thing on that rig just screams mullet build. Like you did it just so you can tell people about your V8 swap with a 3/4 race cam.

Fair point. How short of a hat have you seen?

What about a scoop with no opening at all? Then you don't have to worry about the elements. As far as open scoops go, a GM cowl induction style is probably the most shielded from the elements, plus it'll work with your fan to push hot air up and out of the engine bay.

At what point is a cowl warranted?

Would this be a good reason for an attention whore hood?:flipoff2:
brownMotor2.jpg

The above also shows the underside of the hood I'm dealing with.

What about a scoop with no opening at all? Then you don't have to worry about the elements. As far as open scoops go, a GM cowl induction style is probably the most shielded from the elements, plus it'll work with your fan to push hot air up and out of the engine bay.

No opening is on the table.

FWIW, here is the package I'm dealing with:
donor3_sml.jpg

The air cleaner is already super short(2.5" tall from carb to top) The carb currently is a Edlebrok and is 3.25" tall. It is going to go to a Quad which is also 3.25". Hopefully by next summer it will be going TBI which will come in at 3.75" (2" TBI + 1.75" adapter)

Can’t believe you really want to cut that hood. It won’t look right no matter what you do.

That hood isn't going to get cut ;) I have a "burnt" hood I can experiment with and a third one that is a bit rough that I can hack up. I can't find the third hood.

Factory Eldorado air cleaner was super short for hood clearance IIRC and that is why they also had such a short intake manifold.

Can’t believe you really want to cut that hood. It won’t look right no matter what you do.

This.

I run that Spectre horn on my Jeep with an air gap intake, base sealing ring to the top is about an 1” or so tall IIRC.

I say run a snorkel to under the drivers seat. Methane injection :usa:

Opening forwards = scoop
Opening rearwards= cowl
Ahh... so basically same but direction. I thought it was something more along the lines of physically attached to carb and poking through versus welded to hood as a cover.

I say run a snorkel to under the drivers seat. Methane injection :usa:
I still would have a clearance issue at the carb... the cab gets enough methane injected after a trip to Taco Bell:homer:

Just like dei (direct exhaust injection) systems
I heard that system works well. The concept sketch inspires confidence:
directExhaust.jpg

Top Back Refresh