What's new

Hodge-Podge 609

Had the time to tear the old from out last night so hopefully have some time later this week to start getting the new situated!

What are your guy's thoughts on a bash bar type tube/skid to protect the ram? I had one on my old housing but never really hit anything hard with it. all it pretty much did for me was collect mud and water. I built one already, but cant really get myself to glue it on just cuz I'm not totally sold on it. Also trying to keep the housing as light as possible so don't wanna add another 15lbs if I can help it.

What are your guy's thoughts on a bash bar type tube/skid to protect the ram? I had one on my old housing but never really hit anything hard with it. all it pretty much did for me was collect mud and water. I built one already, but cant really get myself to glue it on just cuz I'm not totally sold on it. Also trying to keep the housing as light as possible so don't wanna add another 15lbs if I can help it.
I usually just built a small plate skid into the mount to protect the body of the ram from direct impact, but I keep it to the width of the ram body. It's probably not even necessary with how high your ram is on the axle tube, but it gave me a little peace of mind. Although the owner of one of the other ones I did similar did end up hitting the ram shaft on a rock and putting a knick in it, so wider protection wouldn't be a bad thing. Even knowing that though, I still built my own personal ram skid narrow because I like the simplicity

The body of the ram doesn't care about impacts.
The shaft is what will bend.

Signed : a guy with no ram protection and that likes to bash into shit.

Not totally true, a bad enough dent will cause major issues. Unless your ram is double wall?

Guy I know dented a de ram, which ripped the seal and lost all steering.

Not totally true, a bad enough dent will cause major issues.
True. Everything can break.
But it did break at high steer arm and rip the rear axle off of the rig before having dented a ram.

All the bomber cars have the same ram as I have, with no protection, and it seems like it's been good to them.

i was looking at your ram and how high it is up on the axle. you would really have to want to smash it to smash it. not saying a mess tree stump would not hurt but i think you would be ok. my thoughts. and if you do get worried just make a simple tube that will get hit first, just like before.

Same. Protect that thing especially the ram shaft. Even if it doesn’t bend the shaft an impact can gouge or scratch the shaft and make it leak out that side.

This is what craftsmanship looks like!! Great job. I'd love to design and build my own knuckles some day. Looks like a really fun project to me.

Last edited:
This is what I whipped up, but not totally sold on it like I said.

PXL_20230505_185740540.jpg

Compared to

PXL_20230507_174223766.jpg

Might be one of those deals where I leave it on the shelf for now and buzz it on down the road. Very undecided as you can tell. I guess once I get it under the rig I'll have a better idea of how much in harms way its really gonna be.

I can see how that would catch and hold a bunch of crap. It's a big shelf.

You could always add a bunch of bigish holes to the plate that would let the crap fall through without making it much/any weaker.

if it sticks out too far trim it back a bit.

do you have a top view looking down as the axle would be sitting in truck.
1683653006932.png
I'll have to re-mock it up, but as shown it sits just proud of the bolts on the ram clamp with maybe 1/8" clearance from the head of the socket head cap screw.

I can see how that would catch and hold a bunch of crap. It's a big shelf.

You could always add a bunch of bigish holes to the plate that would let the crap fall through without making it much/any weaker.
That view makes it look absolutely enormous and it's actually a little smaller than my previous one. I definitely like the hole idea if I end up using this style skid.

Maybe something simpler/lighter like this:

From the front:
1bde59ab-396f-430b-8e6b-e9a30a327fba-jpeg.jpg

Attachments

• JHF ram skid.jpg
    JHF ram skid.jpg
    687.6 KB · Views: 28
I like basher bars, but I seem to be the only one.

Basher bar example, I've never bothered to skid plate them because not much solid anything is getting in there and I don't need it to be a mud shovel.

Attachments

• IMG_20221007_115434883.jpg
    IMG_20221007_115434883.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 41
Basher bar example, I've never bothered to skid plate them because not much solid anything is getting in there and I don't need it to be a mud shovel.
Same boat...though I did once get stuck on the piss poor way I mounted the clamps that came with it. Planning to do something similar to the JHF buggies above on my portals.

Attachments

• IMG_2021_zpscd65f953.jpg
    IMG_2021_zpscd65f953.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 25
I was going for the ski effect on my old housing :lmao: I kinda like the look of the simple bent tube

324231372_1292027655055276_4792021623017223848_n.jpg

Set the housing up with pinion at 0 deg as it will be in the jeep. This is a better representation of how high the ram will actually sit.

PXL_20230511_010811574.jpg

PXL_20230511_004851778.jpg

Old housing isn't set perfectly at zero, but with the new setup the ram definitely sits higher.

Top Back Refresh