What's new

Hodge-Podge 609

Simple'72CJ

Member Number
So this has been an on-going project for the last few months and I finally have most of the parts made. As the title states it's a complete bastard child of a housing and people are gonna raise their eyebrows as to why I did a lot of things :flipoff2: What sparked this entire thing is that the current 609 in my jeep that I built came out too narrow and I had band-aided it with wheel spacers to get the right track width. This was all fine and dandy, but the narrow housing width (60" WMS) coupled with the KP outers forced me into limiting my up travel significantly. Straight up and down was no issue, but as soon as you began to twist it up the KP cap on the Solid Industries steering arm wanted to eat the coilover. Looking back I could've packaged things better and achieved more clearance, but I was dumb at the time and even more impatient.

Now we are present day and full of lots of fresh ideas that only make sense to me probably :laughing: I wanted to go ball joint to free up space around the outer, but I wanted to remain 5x5.5 pattern since I'm a jeep purest haha As everyone knows 05+ is the way to go with the big joints and 35 spline stubs. The issue I ran into with the 05+ is that the bearing itself is too large and its not physically possible to run a 5x5.5 pattern. So, just go 99-04 inner C and run a modified unit bearing to fit my needs right? The 1480 joints don't bother me and I could always upgrade to RCV's or whatever. However, I had to be difficult and make things more complicated than they needed to be. The 05+ has more inclination angle at 12deg where a KP is 7deg which means way less scrub. Yeah sure you're not gonna really feel that with full hydro, but its still cool to think about. Secondly, a hybrid knuckle that uses the 05+ C geometry but a 99-04 unit bearing would be modular to where you could bolt the knuckle on a stock Super Duty housing and be able to run a pattern other than 8 lug.

Disclaimer right out of the gate!!! This was not intended to be the end all be all, most bomb-proof setup. It's checking all my boxes as far as needs and the 1480 joints have not let me down in the past so sacrificing the bolt pattern solely to get the big 1550s didn't make sense. Anyways, on to some pics!! Hopefully sprinkle more photos in as I get them transferred off my old phone.

IMG_20220829_133430002.jpg

IMG_20220913_151457024.jpg

IMG_20220913_151505831.jpg

IMG_20220914_150508961.jpg

well that's pretty bad ass. I start a set similar awhile back but ran into some issues and never got back to them. Need a similar set for a little baja racer that's in progress.

Oh! I like this. Breaking rules right out of the gate. The axle world need 2 things more 5-5.5" unit bearings and some semi float 35 spline Ford 9 " shafts in 8 lug.

Crazy hodge podge axles are my favorite.
I've got a spare 99-04 d50 laying around and a 14bff too, and the idea of a steering 14b keeps taunting me.

Fun project to stir the pot haha Sadly I lost all the pics of the fixtures while building, but overall pretty basic and parts didn't move as much as I thought. I left a ton of material in the upper and lower parts of the C thinking I was gonna need to take a bunch of material when post weld line boring. Faro'd the C and it had only moved .006" concentrically and not even a 10th of a degree on them being parallel. I'll try and find the jigs and at least post pics of those.

Fun project to stir the pot haha Sadly I lost all the pics of the fixtures while building, but overall pretty basic and parts didn't move as much as I thought. I left a ton of material in the upper and lower parts of the C thinking I was gonna need to take a bunch of material when post weld line boring. Faro'd the C and it had only moved .006" concentrically and not even a 10th of a degree on them being parallel. I'll try and find the jigs and at least post pics of those.
Beautiful work!

Ypu planning on making your own knuckles also?

Are the weld seams in the middle of the bent plates some sort of stress relief? Just curious...

Ahh....can't believe I missed that in the model. Duh. Thanks!

Are the weld seams in the middle of the bent plates some sort of stress relief? Just curious...
internal webbing, think i-beam.

also see the first SW model
The final design had changed slightly since that model was done, but the overall designed stayed the same. As mobil1syn said, its just som internal webbing to help with caving. I ran an FEA on that model and the bend on the lower C portion was too severe and created a "hot spot" if you will. Modified the lower portion slightly to cut back on the brake angle and it helped tremendously. End product was a C that was stronger and lighter than the factory 05+ inner which only makes sense

Well, your work is freakin' awesome, regardless. Very nice. :smokin:

End product was a C that was stronger and lighter than the factory 05+ inner which only makes sense
Lighter I can see but I'm not sure how you made it stronger unless you stepped up external dimensions or stepped up to fancier material.

Lighter I can see but I'm not sure how you made it stronger unless you stepped up external dimensions or stepped up to fancier material.
The external dimensions are slightly larger and I forgot to mention the C gets a lower gusset as well.

That's a clean setup, I dig it. I appreciate the frankenstein nature too, for some strange reason years back I decided I needed a 5 x 5.5 kingpin 609 with 1/2 ton brakes and 15" wheels haha. These days I really wish I used balljoints, I think they're better than KP stuff in every way.

Can't wait to see the outer knuckle that compliments this C! Did you use an off the shelf style unit bearing cup, or come up with something a bit more intricate?

Glad you decided to give this it's own thread. It certainly deserves it. The spy photos in the Commando thread left everyone wanting more.

What KPI did you build to? I know it plays a part in more than just scrub radius.

How much caster will you be running?

That's a clean setup, I dig it. I appreciate the frankenstein nature too, for some strange reason years back I decided I needed a 5 x 5.5 kingpin 609 with 1/2 ton brakes and 15" wheels haha. These days I really wish I used balljoints, I think they're better than KP stuff in every way.

Can't wait to see the outer knuckle that compliments this C! Did you use an off the shelf style unit bearing cup, or come up with something a bit more intricate?
I would've loved to start from scratch but it would've been too time consuming and expensive. I ended up just using some TG unit bearing pockets and chopped the brake tab ears off. After all, the bearing pocket gets completely buried anyways so no reason to get too fancy with it.

Glad you decided to give this it's own thread. It certainly deserves it. The spy photos in the Commando thread left everyone wanting more.

What KPI did you build to? I know it plays a part in more than just scrub radius.

How much caster will you be running?
I think the factory 05+ stuff is either 12 or 12.5deg so that's what I went with so it could be directly swapped onto a stock Super Duty housing. The Ackerman is slightly different than factory to get the steering arm where I wanted it and I ended up going with 10 deg of caster. that's what my current housing has in it and it drives fantastic both on and off road with the full hydro

Looks very nice! Love to see more pics of the knuckles! Is that just 1/4" plate, or something thicker?

To make my life easier I decided to make an insert for the lower ball joint. Instead of trying to hold the part upside down on the bridgeport and ream a taper it made much more sense to make an insert that pressed in and weld to lock in place. I fudge the thickness of the lower ear to account for the lip on the insert to mimic the overall dimension on the factory C.

IMG_20221013_103332018.jpg

Once that was done I got them on the tubes and locked them down with 10 degrees of caster.

IMG_20221027_135530658_2.jpg

IMG_20221027_135538062_2.jpg

IMG_20221027_135558053_2.jpg

IMG_20221027_135552329_2.jpg

IMG_20221027_135544038_2.jpg

Top Back Refresh