What's new

Ho slot cars?

Thatg9659

Member, huh huh
Member Number
Loc
Vt
Anyone into these still? Spent many weekends in my teens racing these with friends. Trying to agree on a price with the seller. Seems to think one could be worth 100$ I just want to give them to a friend from that era of my life. Not that that changes the actual value of them.

I Think they are all afx some horizontal motors some vertical. I'm not well studied in them.

IMG_20210315_194201.jpg
IMG_20210315_194135.jpg

Used to be when I was a kid. Dad and I raced on this TYCO set that had a huge banked turn that that powered. The momentum of the car is was kept it on the track around the turns. I guess they don't make the track anymore.

I'll be getting a set soon enough for kiddo and I. Think I'll get one with a plunger-style remote and put some washers or something on it so he doesn't pin it the whole time launching the cars off the track.

Yea i got a pretty decent size track for my kids, they love it. I need to find some more cars. Mines a tyco setup.

Reactions: Add
I got a HO setup when I was a kid. The tracks had rods (install 2 per end) & a clip to fasten.

I discovered slot car racing, yuge tracks! There was a place in Elmsford, NY & Cloister(?), NJ that I frequented.
A place in Fishkill or Wappinger Falls had races that was so fast even I couldn't see the cars.

And lastly, some place in Chester has offroad racing inside a barn. The racing vehicles ran off some kind of petrol.

Dunno if they exist anymore-​​​​​​

there is a slot car racing place in the shopping plaza I am moving to.

I look forward to playing with the cars soon.

I do not know anything about them.

Out of curiosity how much is the seller asking for that collection?

Sent the picture to a friend that is serious into that stuff, he has thousands and two big tracks in his basement. He said they are worth about $25 a piece, the police car being the most valuable at $100 give or take.

oh hell yeah. Loved our slot cars and train sets..

I paid $160. :homer: My first set I got for Christmas when I was 11 was a tyco race n chase cop car and red car no magnets as the idea was to drift, the outer curve had clip on extensions. Got a few others here and there hp7's and 440x2's but packed it all up when I started driving. I think they ended up with the same friend, he's gonna be a grandpa soon thats the reason I had for getting these.

Me and the friend I shipped these to spent hours every other weekend racing laying out tracks, his older brother rigged up a power pack for each lane, kept people from letting off to make the opponent crash from the surge in available power.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was into them big time as a kid. I still have several of them and figure some day I will run into an Aurora track set at a garage sale.

I got a HO setup when I was a kid. The tracks had rods (install 2 per end) & a clip to fasten.

I discovered slot car racing, yuge tracks! There was a place in Elmsford, NY & Cloister(?), NJ that I frequented.
A place in Fishkill or Wappinger Falls had races that was so fast even I couldn't see the cars.

And lastly, some place in Chester has offroad racing inside a barn. The racing vehicles ran off some kind of petrol.

Dunno if they exist anymore-​​​​​​

The barn in Chester is still there. I went with a friend a year or two ago who is big into rc stuff. The have an indoor and outdoor track.

Brings back memories. There used to be a bunch of hobby shops that had tracks you could race your cars against others on, this was the 1960s. I had 1:32 scale.

Used to be when I was a kid. Dad and I raced on this TYCO set that had a huge banked turn that that powered. The momentum of the car is was kept it on the track around the turns. I guess they don't make the track anymore.

I'll be getting a set soon enough for kiddo and I. Think I'll get one with a plunger-style remote and put some washers or something on it so he doesn't pin it the whole time launching the cars off the track.

we had that too. Tyco TCR slotless. It was so awesome.

we had that too. Tyco TCR slotless. It was so awesome.

TOTAL CONTROL RACING!!!!!!!!!!

Lol I remember that tried it once didn't like the slowdown while changing lanes.

Click image for larger version Name:	C2B3A9DE-35A2-479A-9F7C-59273686ADF7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	433.9 KB ID:	351964 I was into the 1:24(I think) scale ones when I was 10-12. Nextdoor neighbor was a local “famous” painter of slot car bodies.

I have a big box of aurora track and some cars from the 60's. Haven't opened it in 20 years. What's the market like on this stuff?

I put a 11' x 6' slot car track on the ceiling in the garage. I used a Warn Pullzall (mounted on the wall) to raise and lower it. Vids are with a 1/43 CarreraGo setup when I first put it up... CarreraGo sucked! I replaced it with about 90' of AFX track on it. I have probably around 18 cars for it. Its fun when we lower it down and "race".

Only photo I could find of the AFX track... probably about a 5 year old photo.

Click image for larger version Name:	B9B8C685-E4BB-466D-849D-76B52BF1DB6F.JPG Views:	0 Size:	538.5 KB ID:	352456

I mounted some folding sawhorses under the track and then spent a few hours cleaning it and scrubbing the rails with a 600 grit sanding block. Actually several of those. My youngest was interested and wanted this to happen so she even helped. Watched a YT vid and the guy used the same/similar sanding block and then he wiped the track with WD40. So I did the same. I still need to even out the track and I want to build some more bridges to make it more level. But the biggest bang for the buck was the AutoWorld 2 amp variable voltage power supply. The AFX 1A 3 position voltage power supply sucked in comparison. I did spend some $$ on a couple new "high speed" cars. One was a hopped up Wizzard (pink one) and one was a Viper (blue one). Blue one was about $50 more... but fuck that Wizzard is faster... or maybe its that my daughter was running it WOT without a thought as to it flying off the track and breaking like I was with the blue one. LOL

And yes, my garage is a fucking pigpen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1By781VT8o

IMG_4452.JPG

IMG_4454.JPG

IMG_4450.JPG

IMG_4451.JPG

Funny you mentioned the smell.. after about 15 hot laps I could smell it! lol The new powersupply made the cars come alive, best $30 spent on this track.

I’m waiting for the “hot slut cars” spin-off!

I had that black and yellow tramsam but I would have loved that stp car

I mounted some folding sawhorses under the track and then spent a few hours cleaning it and scrubbing the rails with a 600 grit sanding block. Actually several of those. My youngest was interested and wanted this to happen so she even helped. Watched a YT vid and the guy used the same/similar sanding block and then he wiped the track with WD40. So I did the same. I still need to even out the track and I want to build some more bridges to make it more level. But the biggest bang for the buck was the AutoWorld 2 amp variable voltage power supply. The AFX 1A 3 position voltage power supply sucked in comparison. I did spend some $$ on a couple new "high speed" cars. One was a hopped up Wizzard (pink one) and one was a Viper (blue one). Blue one was about $50 more... but fuck that Wizzard is faster... or maybe its that my daughter was running it WOT without a thought as to it flying off the track and breaking like I was with the blue one. LOL

And yes, my garage is a fucking pigpen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1By781VT8o

IMG_4452.JPG

IMG_4454.JPG

IMG_4450.JPG

IMG_4451.JPG
Them cars are faster then I remember....wow
Good deal.

I still have my Tyco set. Last time it was set up, it was on a 4x8 sheet of plywood and the race set and train sets overlapped in a couple spots. I found a crossing track and never set it up.

I extended the controller wires with some speaker wire. There was a 7 1/2 foot straight into a banked curve, my nephew would stand at the end of the straight and watch the cars coming down the track right at his face. Had a couple pieces of plexiglas wrapped around the ends of the table to keep the cars from flying off the table.

I will probably clean the track up and give it to my nephew and his sons. Maybe get them a couple new cars.

Funny you mentioned the smell.. after about 15 hot laps I could smell it! lol The new powersupply made the cars come alive, best $30 spent on this track.
Couple days ago I had a random thought about the smell of those. Like those random... huh, wonder what Ronnie Millsap is up to?

Weird... haven't seen a set since the early 90s.

We had the set that had the crazy high banks without power. The cars would find a track and somehow they knew which controller you had.

It was a tyco slotless track.

Top Back Refresh