What's new

High Altitude Guys I Need Recommendations Not Doing Well

Altitude will whoop yer ass. Time and water will help. I live at 7000ish feet and takes a metric fuck ton to get me drunk when i visit my folks in slo ca, think beach as in ocean.
If you want to prove me wrong please hit me up and id love to meet some irates when im in the area, ill grill the steaks.

This is true. I live at 4000 but work at 7000+.

The Flatlanders come up to places like west Yellowstone or Cooke City and get hammered in a few beers.
I go to the ocean and I'm hammering down beers and can't hardly drink enough to be drunk. Usually takes me all afternoon to get a little buzz. :homer:

I have posted before but I went from crippling acute mountain sickness to taking Diamox(spelling) to nothing now.

1, Hydration. Drink as much water as you can. Then drink more
2, avoid dieretics. I am
Bad because I drink a ton of coffee
3, for me the biggest change I saw was when I went gluten free. I have a BAD gluten intolerance.

When I used to get sick from altitude I had to get lower and sleep it off. Dry heaves and a crippling headache. Next day I was 100% and never sick again on the trips. It usually hit me on the second night at altitude.

Altitude sickness is a real problem.

I have to warn my crew when working Pikes Peak. Seen Denver dudes get a serious bout just walking across the parking lot at Devils Playground. Stop everything immediately and recover or it can get way worse.

Lower altitude as soon as possible is the best relief
Pre hydration and staying hydrated
Pacing yourself

All my drivers the past ten years have run oxygen via canular every time they are in the car.

I feel it in the airplane (unpressurized) above 8500
the faster we get there the more I feel it
it goes away eventually, but some days I with I could install a valve to open so I can equalize pressure

basically comes down to not being a sissy :grinpimp:

Pacing yourself

Altitude is a quick way to understand what it feels like to be old. At the top of PP, just walking across the parking lot can kick yer butt. Whatever you can accomplish at home, at elevation it will be half of that or worse. Work slow and steady.

Even us highlanders who live a mile above many of you are still subject to elevation sickeness. 12k or 14k is not a joke if you havent prepared for it. Everest base camp is 17000ft. I am blown away by the high mountaineers.

I feel it in the airplane (unpressurized) above 8500
the faster we get there the more I feel it
it goes away eventually, but some days I with I could install a valve to open so I can equalize pressure

basically comes down to not being a sissy :grinpimp:
Guy I know was flying his 182 from Seattle to NorCal, and took off when he shouldn't have, started getting chased East by a huge storm, and ATC was sending him higher and higher to get above it, got up to 14k for a while with no oxygen and the plane down to under 100 knots, found a hole in the storm and landed at this little airport in Western Montana. Tied his plane down, got to a motel and slept for two days. He was lucky to make it out of that one.

Altitude is a quick way to understand what it feels like to be old. At the top of PP, just walking across the parking lot can kick yer butt. Whatever you can accomplish at home, at elevation it will be half of that or worse. Work slow and steady.

Even us highlanders who live a mile above many of you are still subject to elevation sickeness. 12k or 14k is not a joke if you havent prepared for it. Everest base camp is 17000ft. I am blown away by the high mountaineers.

There's a reason 26k is the death zone.

Guy I know was flying his 182 from Seattle to NorCal, and took off when he shouldn't have, started getting chased East by a huge storm, and ATC was sending him higher and higher to get above it, got up to 14k for a while with no oxygen and the plane down to under 100 knots, found a hole in the storm and landed at this little airport in Western Montana. Tied his plane down, got to a motel and slept for two days. He was lucky to make it out of that one.
Flight planning not a thing?
:laughing:I bet that would kick your ass

1000002294.gif

:flipoff2:

It can be an ass kicker. My wife and I took a trip to Colorado springs and got off the plane and immediately drove to the top of pikes peak. I felt drunk up there, but overall was fine, she was kicked.out sick the rest of the week. She maintains it was food poisoning, I kept telling her it was altitude poisoning.

Last edited:
Just for shits and giggles..... Get yourself a "Pulse-Oximeter" and report back. Any pharmacy will have them; they are not at all expensive.... :smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin:

Just for shits and giggles..... Get yourself a "Pulse-Oximeter" and report back. Any pharmacy will have them; they are not at all expensive.... :smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin:

We did get one just to see. When my resting heart rate is 63, O2 is like 81-85. When my heart rate gets up to 79 or so, it’s like 95-97 O2.

Problem is when I sleep my RHR drops to 52-58 sometimes. :laughing:

So I was seemingly fine yesterday when I rolled in. We’re staying at 9,220’.

This morning I did a run down on the 4Runner, changed clothes, and trimmed my beard. That’s it, and now I feel like I’m high on caffeine. Is this the body recovering from the lack of oxygen? Just ride it out or go for a drive to somewhere lower?

Not feeling great. Light headed and I can’t get up without feeling worse.

Ginko Biloba is great for altitude sickness. Get the Gaia and not some cheap stuff with soybean oils

Don't eat heavy foods like greasy foods like pizza. The problem is lack of oxygen and circulation and when you eat certain foods the blood is working harder to digest food versus oxygen circulation

Lotta snow this year, we got a foot on Mothers day, Breck got snow Memorial day weekend.
I'm thinking about where might be fun. August and September are the best here, but at least you won't need AC much.

Next time I come to this state will hopefully be with a buggy.

We did get one just to see. When my resting heart rate is 63, O2 is like 81-85. When my heart rate gets up to 79 or so, it’s like 95-97 O2.

Problem is when I sleep my RHR drops to 52-58 sometimes. :laughing:
that is a bit low

Lots more water, and electrolytes can help. Your body uses different amounts of sodium, magnesium, and potassium at different levels of hydration in the body. It may need more when adjusting to that Altitude. More importantly, don't drink the nasty fucking chlorinated water.
1000004159.jpg

Reactions: RMO
Altitude will whoop yer ass. Time and water will help. I live at 7000ish feet and takes a metric fuck ton to get me drunk when i visit my folks in slo ca, think beach as in ocean.
If you want to prove me wrong please hit me up and id love to meet some irates when im in the area, ill grill the steaks.
Huh I never thought of that. My wife and I hardly ever drink, but when we do I feel like I need more alcohol than the average person to feel much of anything. We grew up at 9000+

Rule of thumb I've heard many times is a day per 1k feet of elevation on the way up, to equalize out to feeling normal-ish. More if you do/intend strenuous things at elevation. If you're from PA and are now at 9k feet, you should expect it to take a week or more to get on-track.
Drink more water, if you don't need to pee, you're probably not hydrated enough. If it's still notably yellow, you're probably not hydrated enough. And get more rest than you think you need. The O2 shots will help but they're more like a cup of coffee when you've been awake for 24+ hours, yeah, it's a shot of "wake-up" but you're still tired and need rest.

Rule of thumb I've heard many times is a day per 1k feet of elevation on the way up, to equalize out to feeling normal-ish. More if you do/intend strenuous things at elevation. If you're from PA and are now at 9k feet, you should expect it to take a week or more to get on-track.
Drink more water, if you don't need to pee, you're probably not hydrated enough. If it's still notably yellow, you're probably not hydrated enough. And get more rest than you think you need. The O2 shots will help but they're more like a cup of coffee when you've been awake for 24+ hours, yeah, it's a shot of "wake-up" but you're still tired and need rest.

Luckily we’re leaving tomorrow morning. I don’t like Breckenridge…I don’t like any of these ski towns. Just not my cup of tea. I didn’t know what this place was when I booked.

Next time I’ll be looking for the simpler areas with less yuppies.

Will do!

Which part is low?

I slept like garbage last night. It felt like I wasn’t breathing and would startle myself awake. Wife says I do it at home at 1,200’ elevation, too, though.
The low 80 O2

Probably sleep apnea that does not help the O2 level either.

Im just over the pass at 10k in Fairplay, youll be fine. Head up Tiger Rd for shittons of cool exploring. You can drive to 12 k lots of places, including peak 9 to 10. The City Market used to have some little packets of medication for it, dont know if they still do though. Try and sleep a lot too

They still have it, its called altitude adjustment.
Tiger Road.

Thats the North Fork, Middle Fork South Fork trail system that goes up to the Wise Mountain Inn, Radical Hill, Red Cone etc isn't it? It's been years since I've been up there. Is all that stuff still open? May take the taco there this summer...

Top Back Refresh