What's new

Harbor Freight/Badlands Apex 12000

Rooster831

RIP 4/22
Member Number
Anyone use one of these yet? HF has them for $599 or $475 with a coupon. Luckily I had a brand new Badlands ZXR 12k in the box a friend gave me so I returned it and only ended up paying $80 for the new winch. Curious to see how these hold up, Has water seals everywhere, a "IP69k/IP68" rating and a wireless/wired controller. Says it pulls 31.5" per minute, a Zeon 12 does 39"/min but for less than half the price it might be worth it.
oG8BLmD.jpg

Last edited:
I have been eating to get one of those for my DD. Keep us posted on the reliability

I have one of those on my '98 TJ. Really hasn't seen much use other than to pull a few tree stumps out and recently pull out a full sized blazer that was in a mud bog with seemingly no bottom.

For what this winch cost me, I am good with it. I'm not concerned about having a Warren or other name branded product on a ride that is intended to be abused.

Looking at it as a trailer winch.

Subscribed

Id just get the Badlands 8k for like $200.
Just built this setup for a buddy
jm2i44Gl.jpg

and heres the coupon everyone can use, Print it out or save it to your phone they can scan from both.
7r6UsTb.png

I have one of those on my '98 TJ. Really hasn't seen much use other than to pull a few tree stumps out and recently pull out a full sized blazer that was in a mud bog with seemingly no bottom.

For what this winch cost me, I am good with it. I'm not concerned about having a Warren or other name branded product on a ride that is intended to be abused.

Yeah no sense upgrading axles and getting aftermarket tires on a ride that is intended to be abused.

Your reasoning is odd. Common wisdom in the Irate community has been to spend money on winches because it's the final fuse.

I am sort of old school and prefer a really slow winch... Fucking Milemarker hydraulic for the win!

Sort of really pissed at the Chinks right now with the "Rona" thingy!

Local runs the HF junk with his business. :smokin:

Last edited:
What about the 18k? I saw that the other day at the store. Would make a great rear winch for recovery purposes.

Yeah no sense upgrading axles and getting aftermarket tires on a ride that is intended to be abused.

Your reasoning is odd. Common wisdom in the Irate community has been to spend money on winches because it's the final fuse.

Warn winches are built with the same shit Chinese parts now as all of the other winches on the market.

Id just get the Badlands 8k for like $200.
Just built this setup for a buddy
jm2i44Gl.jpg

and heres the coupon everyone can use, Print it out or save it to your phone they can scan from both.
7r6UsTb.png

Says 8k will work but.........Sends pic of BADLANDS 12k mounted to trailer:lmao:

Seriously though I have the older 8k mounted on one rig ( like 10 years old older), and just bought a 9K on another truck just before the new 12k came out. both have seen little use, but have not failed me.

So ya, the new BADLANDS 9k would probably do just fine.

Last edited:
I am sort of old school and prefer a really slow winch... Fucking Milemarker hydraulic for the win!

Sort of really pissed at the Chinks right now with the "Rona" thingy!

Local runs the HF junk with his business. :smokin:

Been subscribed to his channel for awhile, pretty entertaining at times. It amazes me how many people think side by sides are indestructable :laughing:

Says 8k will work but.........Sends pic of BADLANDS 12k mounted to trailer:lmao:

Seriously though I have the older 8k mounted on one rig ( like 10 years old older), and just bought a 9K on another truck just before the new 12k came out. both have seen little use, but have not failed me.

So ya, the new BADLANDS 9k would probably do just fine.

If it was for me I wouldn't have put a 12k on it, But that's what he wanted to that's what he bought.
If you need more than a 8/9k to pull something up a trailer use a snatch block, if you need more than that you're probably fucked anyway lol

What about the 18k? I saw that the other day at the store. Would make a great rear winch for recovery purposes.

My buddy won a huge 20k winch in a raffle a few years ago, was going to put it under his flatbed on his tow rig for recovery stuff.
I still haven't seen the HF 18k though, biggest they have at my store is the 12

Last edited:
Had one and it was okay. It only has to work once right?

Have an older Ramsey 8K on my trailer. Often had to use a snatch block with it but it gets used a lot and hard use as well. I don't "feel" like the HF winch would have lasted as long, but maybe it would have.

Like everyone else is saying, is there really a difference anymore? HF is just a knock off of someone else's design.

I'm debating the Badlands ZXR 12,000 and Apex 12,000.
It will live on the front of a trailer, probably uncovered.
My main questions are:
How do you think the Apex rope will hold up exposed to sunlight every day?
How sensitive to proper spooling is the synthetic rope?

I've had a 8,000 Ramsey on my old trailer for 15 years. The wire rope only has one burr in it within the first 25'. Usually can get a straightish pull so I it doesn't get coiled on one side too often. I'm selling the trailer with winch so I need a new winch.
I'm making enough on leaving the winch on the trailer to almost cover the Apex, or the ZXR and have cash left over:smokin:

I got the Apex for my 100 series and it worked the only time I needed it. Feels like a quality piece. Only time will tell.

by the name of the thread, I came here thinkin I would see something about an event.. hahaha.. I can't be the only one..

I don't understand how people can get stuff that is so important, but only buy cheap stuff..

I dont understand how HF can stay in business..

and its not just cuz my last video thrashed them..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wutOBkRz9_o
it's about the HF shredder

Can anyone find a coupon for the Apex for $475? Only one I can find is expired. I have a coupon for the ZXR for $299

are you being sarcastic?? do you really wanna pay 299 for a winch????

Umm. Yea. If it craps out I'll call it a learning experience and get a used one like I have that has lasted 15 years so far.
I watched part of your video. I get it. You don't like Harbor Freight.

thanx for watching some of my video.,., I can tell how you didnt watch all of it.. tho I dont remember how far into the video it was, when I said I actually filled out an application to work there, and I decided against it (cuz I didnt believe in all their products).. however I will go to Harbor Freight for some stuff..

I was just staring at this winch today and was thinking of spending cash. The moron on the damn forklift in the backroom kept backing up making this nonstop annoying loud beeping that was intensifying my hangover headache so I said fuck that and left.

Fate, maybe?

I’ve heard that synth line doesn’t hold up as well when exposed to the elements full time, like a trailer parked outside. I have Sypdura line on my winch but it’s on a receiver hitch that mostly stays inside. I’d worry about the synthetic line getting torn up dragging shit up onto your trailer too. I’d vote wire rope for a trailer, it’s not like your moving the winch all the time.

Been wheeling for over 20 years now and I have never seen a wire rope fail, even ones with kinks and broken wires. I have seen a few synthetics fail and it always came at a time they were really needed. I can't tell you the brand or the previous history of the ropes and I am sure that is a factor. If it were me I would go wire for a winch that will be left on a trailer and subjected to the weather.

Regarding these cheap China winches, I have now rebuilt a few winches a few were warn and a few china. From what I have seen the mechanicals seem pretty much the same and many of the parts even interchange. The main difference is in the electronics. The remotes, solenoids, and motors on the warns were definitely better quality.

Top Back Refresh