What's new

Guesstimate me a diff repair

ConwayMuddy

Dis member
Member Number
Loc
Jerkwater wi
Short of it is I'm trying to figure out if I want to sink more cash into my truck. Hopefully someone here has access to book time, or parts cost beyond me looking at napa.

Long of it...
2004 chevy colorado shit out the rear pinion seal. I haven't torn into anything to look stuff over. The local repair shops are ~2 weeks out to even look at. Nobody is helpful when I ask for a best/worse case scenario estimate.

Things I know, seal is fucked bigly. Alternately making grinding or screeching noises. Needs axle bearings and seals, which I have. No banging or clunking.

What I want to know, figuring $80 an hour labor rate guess, r&r axle bearings and seals, pinion bearing and seal. Add to that, carrier bearings. Worst case throw in new carrier and gears.

Not looking for anything ultra precise, but probably more accurate than what I paid 20 years ago.

In before treefiddy

Just toss some seals and wheel bearings on it. Put 85-140 in roll down the road.

I just got a quote for $400 labor plus parts for whatever my rear axle needs when they tear into it.

Short of it is I'm trying to figure out if I want to sink more cash into my truck. Hopefully someone here has access to book time, or parts cost beyond me looking at napa.

Long of it...
2004 chevy colorado shit out the rear pinion seal. I haven't torn into anything to look stuff over. The local repair shops are ~2 weeks out to even look at. Nobody is helpful when I ask for a best/worse case scenario estimate.

Things I know, seal is fucked bigly. Alternately making grinding or screeching noises. Needs axle bearings and seals, which I have. No banging or clunking.

What I want to know, figuring $80 an hour labor rate guess, r&r axle bearings and seals, pinion bearing and seal. Add to that, carrier bearings. Worst case throw in new carrier and gears.

Not looking for anything ultra precise, but probably more accurate than what I paid 20 years ago.

In before treefiddy
$80 an hour shop rate is so 20 years ago

Slap a Detroit in it with a new master install kit and call it a day. If the gears are fucked, do gears too. $1000/$1200 for the DIY guy with a 100% new diff and a traction aid.

It sounds from your brief description that the pinion bearings have pooped themselves. If the gears are good, you need to do bearings and still check tolerances. If the gears are bad you should replace the whole thing. Probably cheaper if you don't want to get inside of it to just replace the entire axle with a junkyard axle.

It's a chevy, set it on fire and take it to the scrap yard.

VatoZone rebuilt axle, DIY and drive on.

$80/hr.... maybe 10 years ago.
I remember paying $25ish/hr in the 90s.

Get a whole axle with a warranty from www.car-part.com and swap it in a couple of hours.
I was curious what the prices would be. I used WI for the state. one place has a 2005 rear assembly (you pull) for 140 and others that were out were around 400. Interesting

000 grease
Ohh, big spender!

How-to-reuse-sawdust.jpg

Long of it...

In before treefiddy
so it is fucked at the wheel ends and the pinion bearings
plus whatever else you find once you get it apart

just toss in a whole junkyard axle
srs

Those colorados are strange, maybe it has axle bearings that don't fuck the axle shafts when they let go?

Spring over or spring under?
spring under would suck, but spring over is a half day swap in the driveway

Yeah, 150-225 on car part.

You could do that in your aunts garage after work, and get a casserole:laughing:

Or if you're a shitty nephew you can pay the Spaniards at the junkyard $100 cash to install it

Top Back Refresh