What's new

Good old tire thread: Budget-friendly decent MT

Poopyface

Member Number
I am looking to get new tires for the 4runner and tossing the current tires onto the beater truck. I have been buying Goodyear Authority tires since they came out cuz they are simply fucking awesome at everything I put them through. I've had them on three different rigs so far and my only complaint is I am growing bored of them.

I planned on ordering another set but still open to something new. Any recommendations?

Budget $600-ish in 265/75 size.

32244d3e620c4b3da839be080e40a328.jpg

In all seriousness look at the patagonias. I have a couple of friends running them and so far they have been pleased. The seem to work well on the trail and aren't too noisy atleast when new. Price seems to be in your budget.

If your main goal is life span out of a semi aggressive tire I’ve been surprised by Goodyear Duratrak’s since they replace the workhorse. I’m not even a Goodyear tire brand fan. But I’ve gotten 70k miles a set twice without a flat. Have a set on my old one ton since 2011 that I’m going to have to replace for age instead of wear.

I don’t know anything about pricing. My diesel has 20” wheels and they either don’t make or I couldn’t get duratraks in a 10 ply 20”. I’m on my second set of cooper AT/3’s on it. Got 63,000 miles on the last set and replaced them because I wanted new tires on to go to King Of The Hammers.

at work they just switched from running Toyo open country M/T’s to Milestar Patagonia M/T’s for the cost savings. To soon to be able to tell about life span. We race a couple cars on Patagonia’s and they’re awesome for that. Not everyone wants a big aggressive mud tire though.

I like the maxxis buckshot 2 i bought last year, but i dont have any long term experience yet.

I like the maxxis buckshot 2 i bought last year, but i dont have any long term experience yet.

those look an awful lot like the bighorn they used to have before they named an atv tire bighorn and confused the shit out of everyone. it was a good tire. I ran them in 35s for a while.

my cheap ass friends are running kenda klever mts and seem to like them.

I have a pair of Ironman MT on the rear of my Taco and they seem to be wearing like steel even running around with the diff locked and trail time. They are a KM2 style pattern.

​​​​

Last 2 sets of tires I put on the 4runner came of Amazon. 285/70r17. I think the Falken at3's were like $620 shipped and the patagonia milstars were like $500 shipped.

The Falken were killer, they lasted a few years with every type of terrain there is. Can't say the actual mileage because I didn't care enough to track it for how cheap they were.

Pat's are still pretty new, seem to be working well. They are pretty damn aggressive for an Mt, so they do make a little noise on the highway, but not too bad.

To sum it up, go on Amazon and Pic a tire you like. At $125 ea, if they last 40k miles instead of a $230 tire lasting 60k. You're doing good.

Last edited:
If your main goal is life span out of a semi aggressive tire I’ve been surprised by Goodyear Duratrak’s since they replace the workhorse. I’m not even a Goodyear tire brand fan. But I’ve gotten 70k miles a set twice without a flat. Have a set on my old one ton since 2011 that I’m going to have to replace for age instead of wear.

I don’t know anything about pricing. My diesel has 20” wheels and they either don’t make or I couldn’t get duratraks in a 10 ply 20”. I’m on my second set of cooper AT/3’s on it. Got 63,000 miles on the last set and replaced them because I wanted new tires on to go to King Of The Hammers.

at work they just switched from running Toyo open country M/T’s to Milestar Patagonia M/T’s for the cost savings. To soon to be able to tell about life span. We race a couple cars on Patagonia’s and they’re awesome for that. Not everyone wants a big aggressive mud tire though.

I didn't quite get 50K out of duratracs on my f250 with 20" wheels. They should have been replaced about 5K miles ago on top of that.

I didn't quite get 50K out of duratracs on my f250 with 20" wheels. They should have been replaced about 5K miles ago on top of that.

That’s still pretty good for a MT. I’ve been running duratrecs for a while now because they last longer, are quieter, and are very good in the snow compared to other MT’s. Well worth the extra 50 bucks per tire or whatever vs the cheap crap.

I’ve had really stellar results from them but they change rubber compounds for no reason and without telling the public. I wouldn’t be surprised to get another set and have them only last 50.

BFG did that to me on the A/T. I ran them on my 1/2 ton. Had one set last 60+K and without changing anything on the truck only get 30k out of the next.

Look at Kenda Klever RT . We put the 35/10.5 17r on my moms Rubicon don't have alot of miles on them but in the snow they did better then the Mickey Thompsons that where on it.
Kanati Mud Hogs and Trail Hogs also look pretty good. They are made by Greenball who makes Centennial Dirt Commanders MT , I'm looking at doing there 37 on my F350.

Cooper STT Pro. Fairly inexpensive and wear like iron. As a bonus 45acp may have made them. :laughing:
Where the hell are they fairly inexpensive? Shit, even with my 30% discount I had to sell a kid to get 5 37's for the crawler. (3rd kid, don't worry, nobody found out- he's in a fireworks factory in Mexico right now doing well it seems)

Where the hell are they fairly inexpensive? Shit, even with my 30% discount I had to sell a kid to get 5 37's for the crawler. (3rd kid, don't worry, nobody found out- he's in a fireworks factory in Mexico right now doing well it seems)

Walmart.com is where I got my last set of 40's for cheap. The 37's I had before that came from an online supplier also. I don't think they are that expensive compared to other brands of tire in the same sizes. China crap like a few have mentioned in this thread excluded....

I think the Cooper STT Pro's are under rated. I've ran PBR radials, BFG Krawlers, and BFG KM2's and none of those are a better all around off road tire than the STT Pro's in my opinion. As an added bonus they wear very well on the street. I got 45k out of the load range E 37s with a fucked up alignment and the 40s already have 10k on them. Unless they stop making these i will be a customer for a long time.

What kind or terrain are you driving in? Like actual mud or just rocks and dirt? Those Patagonia looked like they would suck ass in actual mud, the only way I would run them is if that lite brite chick dropped them off and 15 seconds later I would prolly sell them. May work good in moab and on rocks but looks like they would bring teh suck out here. I have never wheeled with anyone that had them so who knows they could be fine. I would get whatever is in your price range in the "classic" mud style patterns. So many options these days!

Look at Kenda Klever RT . We put the 35/10.5 17r on my moms Rubicon don't have alot of miles on them but in the snow they did better then the Mickey Thompsons that where on it.
Kanati Mud Hogs and Trail Hogs also look pretty good. They are made by Greenball who makes Centennial Dirt Commanders MT , I'm looking at doing there 37 on my F350.

I just found that size recently and really want put them on the 4runner. No way I could fit a 35x12.5, but I might be able to cram 35x10s :evil:

What kind or terrain are you driving in? Like actual mud or just rocks and dirt? Those Patagonia looked like they would suck ass in actual mud, the only way I would run them is if that lite brite chick dropped them off and 15 seconds later I would prolly sell them. May work good in moab and on rocks but looks like they would bring teh suck out here. I have never wheeled with anyone that had them so who knows they could be fine. I would get whatever is in your price range in the "classic" mud style patterns. So many options these days!

They have larger voids on the outer lugs than any other normal Mt (ie: not swampers or pit bull) the center is the opposite, but could be opened up easily.

Just for reference, I have Cooper ATP on my F250, I believe it's the discount tire house brand. 285/75R16 is $180 each. I miraculously get a nail in the shoulder when they're 5/32 tread around 45k miles. Then the other side is prorated for mileage warranty. Rinse and repeat, on my 3rd set.

My alignment, shocks, bearings, joints, etc is perfect on my front end, if I dont rotate they start to chop out. Then they get real noisey, otherwise all good.

DiscovererATP_full.png.aspx?width=420&height=546&ext=.png

I had a fukkin shitty warranty service thru 2 separate cooper dealers on a road trip to ak.!
60k warranty, slick at 15k!
fukk the "we wont process your warranty for 8 months" (american tire fairbanks)
And the "I won't honor it at all!" Fukkin bs. ( Tillamook tire same town ore )
On an 8 week road trip , but my c.c. Company let them skate on both! Canceled the card once I hit the homefront!
I got a win in Another avenue tho
last 4 sets of dunlops = gold

Last edited:
I’ve had really stellar results from them but they change rubber compounds for no reason and without telling the public. I wouldn’t be surprised to get another set and have them only last 50.

BFG did that to me on the A/T. I ran them on my 1/2 ton. Had one set last 60+K and without changing anything on the truck only get 30k out of the next.

Couldn't have been the fact that your suspension was worn out, and the new tires had softer compound on the outside? So it wasn't wearing slow on the old tread, you threw new soft tires on and they wore right out?

BFGs are famous for hardening up with age. That was like the whole point of the ATs.

I've got some nankang n889 tires off amazon on my pickup and boxtruck. They are about 100 each. Good aggressive tread, 10 ply load range e, some road noise. Had them on the pickup for about a year and I don't see any wear yet, seems to be a pretty hard compound.

I just researched this for a work truck I bought. F-350 that will be getting a flatbed and towing heavy, so I don’t want some China bomb on there. However, I doubt the truck will see 30k for the rest of the time I own it, so I didn’t want to drop the coin for KM3’s, and I wanted a mud terrain.

Looked at the Milestar Patagonia’s, Ironman M/T’s, and Treadwrights among others. Didn’t feel great about any of them.

Ended up with the Cooper Evolution M/T’s for $800/set with tax and shipping in 275/70r18. Haven’t mounted them yet but the reviews are good, quality seems good from a first look, and I’ve got more faith in them than some off brand junk. They are made in the USA also.

https://us.coopertire.com/tires/evolution-mt

Come in under budget for your size.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cooper-EV...Tire/698837151

Last edited:
Did you run the load range C or E?

My favorite tires in the size is the Goodyear Wrangler authority, like you were running. I had LR E on a half tone Chevy with 40-50 lbs instead of the 80 lbs max. They rode nice and wore awesome. It just felt weird having to go to Walmart to get good tires.

Top Back Refresh