What's new

GET YOUR CDL NOW! - What You Need to Know About New Entry-Level Driver Training Rules for Truckers

Come on man, that's an easy combo to pass the test with.

So you're right, you can run an 18 like a 9, especially empty. You dont need low (all the way left towards you and down) just use 1st-8th and 8th over which is top gear.

Theres 500rpm between each gear, shift it like a 2 count. On 1, off the throttle while putting a little force on the shifter and it'll go into neutral. 2 count is pause as the rpms drop then slide into the next gear. Slow is smoothly. Make your shift point about 1500rpm each time. 1st through 4th go quick from a stop and Id bet you could start out in atleast 2nd.

You gotta realize where I come from, you have to make some dmv looser happy, they will dock you on everything. Up here it's an old dude who is super cool and basically just wants you to hit the important things.

I actually went out around town with a buddy yesterday, I wasn't perfect, but was able to do pretty decent, that was 55 highway, down a grade to 35, through town, multiple stop signs, then back. I think I'll be OK driving wise, might need to study the pretrip stuff a hair more.

Test is this Saturday.

Depending on the ratio that truck has. You can use low gear in high range to start, and just shift it like a 5 speed. I do that sometimes especially bobtail.

Thats an interesting way to do it. The truck has good power, I'm sure it would pull that fine empty.

Thats an interesting way to do it. The truck has good power, I'm sure it would pull that fine empty.
A lot of guys I’ve seen have a hard time with the range selector at first. That eliminates one thing to remember on the test. But like I said, ratio has a lot to do with it, if you got 3.08 or something it might be too high. Most of the trucks around here have 4.10 or 4.30 is most common.

A lot of guys I’ve seen have a hard time with the range selector at first. That eliminates one thing to remember on the test. But like I said, ratio has a lot to do with it, if you got 3.08 or something it might be too high. Most of the trucks around here have 4.10 or 4.30 is most common.

I sure did when I was trying to shift like a 10 speed :homer::laughing:

It'd be pretty surprised if it had a highway gear the way it's set up. But like you know, trucks often change roles, so who knows what it's first life was :laughing: I think I'm shifting into to high range around 30 mph? I'll try your method this week.

Had to use the truck's fire extinguisher today, glad it worked or I would have been fubar. Driving up I-81 in upstate NY when I check my mirrors and see smoke starting to billow out from the driver side trailer tires.

I stop the rig almost as soon as I could, I waited maybe 5 seconds for a spot with no guard rail to give me a little extra room. I run back to see wtf is going on when I see flames coming from the trailer hub. I sprint back to the cab and grab the extinguisher and sprint back to the rear of the trailer, pulled the pin and let fly. It took almost the whole 5lbs to get it extinguished.

The hub lost half of the bolts sealing it up and I guess losing enough oil that the friction got to be too much and that's when it caught. I don't know what I would have done if I didn't get it under control, as I'm hauling 43,000 lbs. of flammable Isopropyl alcohol.

Had to use the truck's fire extinguisher today, glad it worked or I would have been fubar. Driving up I-81 in upstate NY when I check my mirrors and see smoke starting to billow out from the driver side trailer tires.

I stop the rig almost as soon as I could, I waited maybe 5 seconds for a spot with no guard rail to give me a little extra room. I run back to see wtf is going on when I see flames coming from the trailer hub. I sprint back to the cab and grab the extinguisher and sprint back to the rear of the trailer, pulled the pin and let fly. It took almost the whole 5lbs to get it extinguished.

The hub lost half of the bolts sealing it up and I guess losing enough oil that the friction got to be too much and that's when it caught. I don't know what I would have done if I didn't get it under control, as I'm hauling 43,000 lbs. of flammable Isopropyl alcohol.
That would have made the news...

Aaron Z

Note to self don't pull the new trailers with the disk brakes on them. There aren't parts readily available and this trailer has 8 different possible hubs, each 1/16" different in size.

Good job man, you probably saved at least a few passer bys life's :beer:

Having to use a fire extinguisher in a situation like that is pretty scarry.

Top Back Refresh