What's new

GET YOUR CDL NOW! - What You Need to Know About New Entry-Level Driver Training Rules for Truckers

You do any government work? Having your wife as owner of the company can help you snag government contracts, you know diversity and all that. My dad's old buddy did that, he was married to an Indian woman and she was listed as part owner of his logging business. He got some very lucrative road building contracts from that, woman and Indian owned company.
Local contractor here did that - he owned the the contracting company and leased all the vehicles and equipment from the company his wife "owned"...

Then came the divorce...

You do any government work? Having your wife as owner of the company can help you snag government contracts, you know diversity and all that. My dad's old buddy did that, he was married to an Indian woman and she was listed as part owner of his logging business. He got some very lucrative road building contracts from that, woman and Indian owned company.
In the business I’m in this really doesn’t matter. Im sure it would help look good but I’m the grand scheme it wouldn’t help.

My gravel pit business #1 is location #2 can you make enough. These are really only the things taken into consideration.

Then for the portable work the customers are just happy you’ll come do it. There isn’t many of us custom crushers left in the world. Not many dumbasses left who want to spend 2-3 million on a spread just to watch it destroy itself over they next decade. There are a few dumbasses who spend big bucks on those tracked plants and try to do what I do. IMO they are idiots who are wasting time and money:lmao:. Me it’s all I know so we keep trucking on lol.

I passed all my written tests for class a including the air brake test which I hadnt planned on doing. I took a couple of free online practice tests and I've never had any cdl experience. The written tests were pretty easy at least in Idaho. I'm a lot more worried about the pretrip but now I have time to actually study for that.

I passed all my written tests for class a including the air brake test which I hadnt planned on doing. I took a couple of free online practice tests and I've never had any cdl experience. The written tests were pretty easy at least in Idaho. I'm a lot more worried about the pretrip but now I have time to actually study for that.

Samsies :flipoff2:

Got my permit today as well.

Did you go for any endorsements? I put mine off so I wasn't trying to cram to much info into my brain that's already full of useless other stuff. Now that I think back, I'm pretty sure I passed tankers and doubles/triples on the first try with no studying.

The pre trip is my biggest concern also, trying to remember all that shit they want to see.

I used the "CDL practice tests" app, and I was pretty happy with it. Many of the questions in the real tests were on the app. They have each state practice tests within the app.

Screenshot_20220110-155646_Google Play Store.jpg

Samsies :flipoff2:

Got my permit today as well.

Did you go for any endorsements? I put mine off so I wasn't trying to cram to much info into my brain that's already full of useless other stuff. Now that I think back, I'm pretty sure I passed tankers and doubles/triples on the first try with no studying.

The pre trip is my biggest concern also, trying to remember all that shit they want to see.

I used the "CDL practice tests" app, and I was pretty happy with it. Many of the questions in the real tests were on the app. They have each state practice tests within the app.

Screenshot_20220110-155646_Google Play Store.jpg
I did the combination test, the basic cdl test and the lady at the desk talked me into taking the airbrake test too.

I did the combination test, the basic cdl test and the lady at the desk talked me into taking the airbrake test too.

You're smart to, no reason to go through 99% of the work just to have a restriction, especially for air brakes.

Edit: you might think about going back in and adding your doubles/triples and tanker endorsements. With the new regs, it will be a huge pain to add later.

I don't understand the new rules, the state office told me to get a class a because I wouldn't be able to upgrade from a class b without school. But they did say I could remove a restriction such as no air brakes or no manual transmissions. Where does the doubles and tankers fall in this discussion?

You're smart to, no reason to go through 99% of the work just to have a restriction, especially for air brakes.

Edit: you might think about going back in and adding your doubles/triples and tanker endorsements. With the new regs, it will be a huge pain to add later.

The only endorsements which will now require extra "classes" (which are pretty undefined for endorsements) are passenger, school bus, and hazmat. All others remain the same.

I'm personally only going for Hazmat (got class A in Oct) and can add the others if a future job requires it. I'm lucky in that the DOT here has practically same day written testing appointments and the tests are cheap ($5) Figure I can study and take other endorsements if needed later. P & S require skills tests, so if I need that for a job they'll obviously have vehicles to test with and some way to document whatever training is required at that point.

CDL hazmat license # can also now be used for TSA precheck, as the background check is similar. On that note, Hazmat has a TSA background check that they say takes 30-45 days (mine took 6 hrs) so cutting it really close to Feb 7th now. Can't take the knowledge test without a completed TSA check. It's also not cheap at $86 for the TSA background check. The background check and a HME endorsement retest are required every time the CDL is renewed (4 years for me)

I don't understand the new rules, the state office told me to get a class a because I wouldn't be able to upgrade from a class b without school. But they did say I could remove a restriction such as no air brakes or no manual transmissions. Where does the doubles and tankers fall in this discussion?

Decently clear article:

Screenshot_20220110-203049.jpg

The only endorsements which will now require extra "classes" (which are pretty undefined for endorsements) are passenger, school bus, and hazmat. All others remain the same.

I'm personally only going for Hazmat (got class A in Oct) and can add the others if a future job requires it. I'm lucky in that the DOT here has practically same day written testing appointments and the tests are cheap ($5) Figure I can study and take other endorsements if needed later. P & S require skills tests, so if I need that for a job they'll obviously have vehicles to test with and some way to document whatever training is required at that point.

CDL hazmat license # can also now be used for TSA precheck, as the background check is similar. On that note, Hazmat has a TSA background check that they say takes 30-45 days (mine took 6 hrs) so cutting it really close to Feb 7th now. Can't take the knowledge test without a completed TSA check. It's also not cheap at $86 for the TSA background check. The background check and a HME endorsement retest are required every time the CDL is renewed (4 years for me)

Decently clear article:

Screenshot_20220110-203049.jpg

My buddy just said that you won't have to take the 4 week training to add tankers or dounles/triples.

I'm now considering adding hazmat. I'm not even planning to be a driver, but more of an add on to being an equipment operator. Hazmat seems excessive, but so much easier now than later.......

lol my wife passed the tests and now has her learners permit.

I can forsee some romantic evenings with her showing her how to dump her load:lmao:

Babe, I'm going to teach you how to dump your load, but you need to help me dump mine first.:evil:

Took my endorsement tests today, pretty cake. Called the local test place and asked about who to use for training. He said "you don't know anyone with a truck? :confused:".

:laughing: I forget how small this town is sometimes. Good news is he said he doesn't care if I float gears during the test.

I didn't dive into the link but I got my CDL a little over a year ago and I am pretty sure the training hours were already required here in the dictatorship of WA.

The school I went to (if you can even call it that) was pretty shady. They would stick 5 dudes in the cab of a small sleeper truck and rotate them driving. My first ride in the truck the instructor popped the air brakes in the middle of a busy highway while stopped at a light. He Chinese fire drilled 2 of the students right there in the road while the light turned green, The dude he put into the seat had never driven stick lmao. We sat for a full intersection light cycle before the truck moved. It was crazy.

I basically studied my pretrip, did a couple drives and had them send me to test. I wanted out of there asap.

As if there aren't more than enough fucktards out there with cdl's, now some of you clowns? :flipoff2:

I'm now considering adding hazmat. I'm not even planning to be a driver, but more of an add on to being an equipment operator. Hazmat seems excessive, but so much easier now than later.......

I considered getting the hazmat before you need "classes" for it, but decided against it due to the additional cost and having to re-certify every four years. I figure that if I get to a position where I need it, whoever I'm working for can pay for the classes and my time to get it.

I considered getting the hazmat before you need "classes" for it, but decided against it due to the additional cost and having to re-certify every four years. I figure that if I get to a position where I need it, whoever I'm working for can pay for the classes and my time to get it.

That was my thought also. I don't plan to drive full time, just to make me a more versatile operator. I figured the hazmat would be nice for being able to move or run a fuel truck, but it's kinda a bitch just for the off chance of that.

In PA. the hazmat renewal is another $52 every four years - $18 for the endorsement and $34 for the background check. Ok, so that isn't a heap of money, but I don't have anything I'd actually use it for and it would just be one more thing to do.

I am going to get my twins/triples and tank endorsements because there is more of an opportunity for me to use them.

And the shortage of truck drivers will increase further with predictable consequences.

I got my CDL Class A with no restrictions back in December. I got the authorization to test for twins/triples, tanks, and Hazmat before the deadline (only Hazmat was really affected there) and have taken and passed the twins/triples and tanks endorsements. I'm still on the fence about taking the Hazmat test and jumping through the hoops for the security clearance. It's not something I'm going to use, but it could make the difference if I'm going for a job...

Btt

Got a job that came with a truck, trailer and excavator that I'm. Pretty much in full time. It's a F550 grossing 38k lbs with the trailer, so I need a class a to drive it.

In the interview they said they would do anything I needed to finish my license. After like 3 days of another class a guy riding with me, they're just saying go here, go there, without a class passenger :homer:

So today I hop in this old kenworth with a 5500 gallon shit pumper tank hooked to it for some practice and holy shit do I suck at floating gears :lmao:

I'm kinda in a pickle because I'm driving illegally every day, and 30 Mins of practice each day it'll take me a year to get good enough to pass the test.

I'm thinking I need to find a place that has those bare minimum trucks with the synchro 6 speeds just to get the unrestricted license.

Btt

Got a job that came with a truck, trailer and excavator that I'm. Pretty much in full time. It's a F550 grossing 38k lbs with the trailer, so I need a class a to drive it.

In the interview they said they would do anything I needed to finish my license. After like 3 days of another class a guy riding with me, they're just saying go here, go there, without a class passenger :homer:

So today I hop in this old kenworth with a 5500 gallon shit pumper tank hooked to it for some practice and holy shit do I suck at floating gears :lmao:

I'm kinda in a pickle because I'm driving illegally every day, and 30 Mins of practice each day it'll take me a year to get good enough to pass the test.

I'm thinking I need to find a place that has those bare minimum trucks with the synchro 6 speeds just to get the unrestricted license.
OH man! I grew up in trucking, my dads drove for 50 years. I haven’t taught anyone before really. But if your around here I’d be glad to show you a thing or two.

OH man! I grew up in trucking, my dads drove for 50 years. I haven’t taught anyone before really. But if your around here I’d be glad to show you a thing or two.

I'd appreciate that, but I'm about 900 miles away from you :laughing:

I have a good friend in Santa Rosa who's done just about everything up to 9 axle heavy haul stuff. But again, it's just a long ways.

I really don't need to be a super trucker, but I also really don't want a restricted license

Any idea the difference in terms for CDL / Standard license?

IE a CDL class A is 5 years and standard lic call it a class C is 8 years.

I've never pretrip
Btt

Shouldn't take that long, but maybe I'm a quick learner.

Generally 500rpms between full gears, 250 between half gears.

I did my test some years ago with a 290" WB W900 studio sleeper and 48ft van trailer. 600 Cummins and 18 speed.

10 speeds make my head hurt, like going from ISO to SAE controlson an excavator

I've never pretrip

Shouldn't take that long, but maybe I'm a quick learner.

Generally 500rpms between full gears, 250 between half gears.

I did my test some years ago with a 290" WB W900 studio sleeper and 48ft van trailer. 600 Cummins and 18 speed.

10 speeds make my head hurt, like going from ISO to SAE controlson an excavator
How does driving a truck with a different pattern make any kind of difference what’s so ever? My trucks have 8ll’s, super 10’s , and 18 speeds in them. You just jump in and drive them. Never had anyone complain.

My personal favorite is Mack’s version of the super10. Best dump truck trans ever made. :flipoff2:. 5 shiftable gears for reverse.

How does driving a truck with a different pattern make any kind of difference what’s so ever? My trucks have 8ll’s, super 10’s , and 18 speeds in them. You just jump in and drive them. Never had anyone complain.

My personal favorite is Mack’s version of the super10. Best dump truck trans ever made. :flipoff2:. 5 shiftable gears for reverse.
Muscle memory I guess.

One of my trucks had a RTO 9 speed, backward H, so high gear was toward the dash.
I still occasionally try and shift that pattern without realizing. Well, till it grinds.

So I've not given up on a license w/o restrictions. I couldn't find a synchro'd rental truck near by anyway.

I spent a bit of time in it the other day before work and a few hours today. I finally figured out I couldn't be shifting from low to high correctly. Instead of going from 5th low to 1st high (6th) I just started going to 2nd high and it was working great.

I ended up calling my buddy who's been driving trucks for almost 20 years to try and figure out what trans was in this thing since my co workers were no help as it usually sits around. Turns out it's an 18 speed :laughing: so now I know that what I thought was 1st is low low, and I can basically just shit it like a 9 speed.

Still need a bit of practice with the parallel lane shift in reverse. I just have so much time with short goosenecks and 16-22' bumper pulls, it's hard to adjust the timing.

And pretrip........... :barf::laughing:

Here's the beast

20220402_183715.jpg

Still have an "A" but not sure if I can keep it as the medical card is getting hard to get every two years BP is high and even though I've lost almost 100 lbs in the past 10 years im still diabetic.

With that and the High Blood Pressure dont know if I will pass the physical next time up.

On top of that I definitely dont want a real ID type license.
I get my dot physical at CVS pharmacy clinic
Do it first thing in the morning and do not drink anything that morning after you wake I up.
I used to drink a bottle of water on the drive over to the clinic to have some ammunition for the urine sample .
Drinking that water runs my BP up at least ten points .

Reactions: PAE
Still have an "A" but not sure if I can keep it as the medical card is getting hard to get every two years BP is high and even though I've lost almost 100 lbs in the past 10 years im still diabetic.

With that and the High Blood Pressure dont know if I will pass the physical next time up.

On top of that I definitely dont want a real ID type license.
Honest question, is not wanting a real ID a privacy issue or did I miss details about getting one? I got mine last year during renewal. I figured if I'm already finger printed, background checked, licensed, then why not?

Throw in the fact I have and carry a TWIC card, and that's a whole other finger print and background, felt like its no biggie.

I run LTL freight for Saia in Virginia, the real ID makes it much easier to get on bases, and other sensitive locations. I got it and the TWIC the last season I ran fuel, fuel terminals are tight with ID for obvious reasons.

So I've not given up on a license w/o restrictions. I couldn't find a synchro'd rental truck near by anyway.

I spent a bit of time in it the other day before work and a few hours today. I finally figured out I couldn't be shifting from low to high correctly. Instead of going from 5th low to 1st high (6th) I just started going to 2nd high and it was working great.

I ended up calling my buddy who's been driving trucks for almost 20 years to try and figure out what trans was in this thing since my co workers were no help as it usually sits around. Turns out it's an 18 speed :laughing: so now I know that what I thought was 1st is low low, and I can basically just shit it like a 9 speed.

Still need a bit of practice with the parallel lane shift in reverse. I just have so much time with short goosenecks and 16-22' bumper pulls, it's hard to adjust the timing.

And pretrip........... :barf::laughing:

Here's the beast

20220402_183715.jpg

Come on man, that's an easy combo to pass the test with.

So you're right, you can run an 18 like a 9, especially empty. You dont need low (all the way left towards you and down) just use 1st-8th and 8th over which is top gear.

Theres 500rpm between each gear, shift it like a 2 count. On 1, off the throttle while putting a little force on the shifter and it'll go into neutral. 2 count is pause as the rpms drop then slide into the next gear. Slow is smoothly. Make your shift point about 1500rpm each time. 1st through 4th go quick from a stop and Id bet you could start out in atleast 2nd.

Depending on the ratio that truck has. You can use low gear in high range to start, and just shift it like a 5 speed. I do that sometimes especially bobtail.

Top Back Refresh