What's new

Gap under gate... how to fill it

Xicor

Red Skull Member
Member Number
I have 3 gates of this general style. 2 have a reducing gap due to being on a hill. This one is ~15" above ground level at the down hill side. The other gate goes across the driveway and is a consistent 4-6" gap under the entire thing. I have a dog who is too curious and will slip under no problem as well as an easy access point for other dogs/coyotes/ foxes to get in. Looking at the options to fill the gap.

First thought is to weld a tube at an angle (black line) and then fill it with fencing. The new tube would follow the slop of the land.

Other options i've thought of:
  • Attach a half "roll" of fencing along the bottom that is flexible enough to move when the gate opens but can't be bent up so much to let him escape.
  • A hinged section that is pinned in place to lock it, pull the pin out/up when swinging the gate so it follows the contour then falls back into place. This is not a big deal for the 2 rarely used gates but a pain for the driveway gate.
Gate.jpg

Gate.jpg

I see a trend here... Dirt on hand is too soft to really do anything right now. Maybe i'll go get some gravel. Thanks all

Had the same issue.

I used a couple of short T posts, attached to the gate so they fill in the bottom and swing away with the gate when opened.
Then you can fence the T posts if you want and no critters get in or out.

Get a paintball gun and cooler full of your favorite beer and camp out 30-40ft on the other side of the gate. When the dog starts to go under, light his ass up and yell "NOOOO!!!!!". Wait a day or two, and do it again.

He'll stay away from that whole area.

Put the gate on the other side where the fenceline is level.

Here is a lame pic of what I did with the small T posts. It's been 6 or 7 years and still works great. Dog has never got under it. If you use dirt, dog will dig. If you use gravel, dog will dig. This worked for me and I'm sure you can make it solid like mine and have it work for you.
fence.jpg - Click image for larger version Name:	fence.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.1 KB ID:	248877

Green = t posts. Black = new fencing.

Of course, in my case the slope goes down as you open the gate. Hopefully yours doesn't go up so the lower added part still clears for opening. I suppose you could dig on the other side to provide clearance for it if needed, though.

Home Depot Quickcrte and a wheel barrow, and six pack :flipoff2:

I made a quick berm after my Pug escaped. Similar fence and driveway. The pooches cant dig concrete.

Here is a lame pic of what I did with the small T posts. It's been 6 or 7 years and still works great. Dog has never got under it. If you use dirt, dog will dig. If you use gravel, dog will dig. This worked for me and I'm sure you can make it solid like mine and have it work for you.
Green = t posts. Black = new fencing.

Of course, in my case the slope goes down as you open the gate. Hopefully yours doesn't go up so the lower added part still clears for opening. I suppose you could dig on the other side to provide clearance for it if needed, though.

Thats basically what i was thinking of doing, but hadn't thought of t posts. I can tack those on nice and easy. Thanks!

One swings down hill and this will work fine, the other is uphill so will need a gravel or hinged solution. Thought if i go hinged is to build a mini gate hinged to the real gate with some posts that prevent it from being pushed out by the dog but allow it to follow the contour of when opened

Thats basically what i was thinking of doing, but hadn't thought of t posts. I can tack those on nice and easy. Thanks!

One swings down hill and this will work fine, the other is uphill so will need a gravel or hinged solution. Thought if i go hinged is to build a mini gate hinged to the real gate with some posts that prevent it from being pushed out by the dog but allow it to follow the contour of when opened

Just get an uphill/downhill swing hinge kit

Get a paintball gun and cooler full of your favorite beer and camp out 30-40ft on the other side of the gate. When the dog starts to go under, light his ass up and yell "NOOOO!!!!!". Wait a day or two, and do it again.

He'll stay away from that whole area.

Beat me to it.

Train the dog.

Cut out a section of 1 x 12 to match the gap. Drill top in several places and hang with zip ties........

I have an automatic gate project coming up. The area where the gate is going in looks a lot like that (slight slope). I’m going to level the area around where he gate will be

I see a trend here... Dirt on hand is too soft to really do anything right now. Maybe i'll go get some gravel. Thanks all

I was going to suggest gravel. That whole area might benefit from gravel.

That post on the left, can you just dig down until it's even and remount the gate? Spread a load of gravel on the new level. That appears to be a corner entrance into a field and not to your house, does it need to be to any certain spec? Does it see frequent use?

That post on the left, can you just dig down until it's even and remount the gate? Spread a load of gravel on the new level. That appears to be a corner entrance into a field and not to your house, does it need to be to any certain spec? Does it see frequent use?

Its high fenced, so Im assuming he has some type of animal he wants to keep in and keep other types of amimals out. Thats why I suggest moving the gate.
​​​​​​
​​​​

That is a corner gate into a field, very infrequent use. Its deer fencing, keeps them out of my apples and keeps the dog in. Moving the gate isn't really an option. The post is concreted in there so I'd need to pull that post and reinstall a longer with new concrete. Not ideal with the fence already stretched.

The driveway gate is the same style, but a more uniform gap. This is the only photo i have. Far right is the first gate i posted (its open in this photo. Far left is a similar one going into the orchard side of things. Center is my drive way gate. That will be replaced with an automatic nicer one in the future but during construction this is good enough

IMG_4126.jpg

Used to live in a neighborhood and a neighbor had a crazy over engineered version of what you’re looking to do. It was made from those common square tube steel fence panels and the lower triangle was welded onto the bottom with hinges on the top edge. They had a MacGuyvered cable and pulley system on it, that would move the lower triangle up/down when the gate opened/closed. Seemed pretty slick

Top Back Refresh