What's new

Full hydro steering - oil

No way

Viking Mothfukle
Member Number
Loc
Under the bus
Gents,
Which oil are you all running in your steering systems?

I upgraded to a high flow PSC pump this season and I'm burning oil to the point where I have no steering response at low RPM's.
Swap to fresh oil and all is good.
Been running generic ATF on the stock pump and that oil is definitely fawking with me now.

Ditch the ATF and go for a high quality hydraulic oil instead?

That blue shit from WOD is end all be all.

If you're burning the fluid, swapping fluid brands is not really a fix, you need a better cooler.

My best recommendation is Maxima Synthetic PSF: Maxima Racing Oils Synthetic Power Steering Fluid - 1 Qt.

It's less expensive than Swepco 715, maintains better viscosity across a wider temp range, and I have trophy trucks that run the Baja 1000 on it at 200+ degrees for 20+ hours straight, pumps look perfectly fine after... I've been sold on it.

However, fluid alone does not tell the whole story. If you are overheating then it might be time to look at your plumbing setup and/or cooler. For a recreational rig, I would consider 180F to be on the high end of the range and if your steering is dropping off significantly by that temp, you probably have some wear in your pump that is allowing higher rates of internal leakage and making the pump feel weak.

Fuck that big dollar shit. Tractor hydraulic and a good cooler with a temp controlled fan and never look back. :smokin:

This is what I used. Never had a problem.

1720012445808.jpeg

It’s been awhile, but I believe PSC told me to run power steering fluid. I just run Orieles generic brand. I’ve got 30,000 miles on the same fluid and it works fine. I do have one of those “finned tubed” coolers on it. I don’t think it really gets allot of airflow. My truck has been driven mostly on road, so maybe that’s easier on the fluid.

Generic power steering fluid from Walmart in my buggy. No issues.

I put aw-32 in my lifts,bender,lathe,hydrosteer,shocks.
Shit works just fine.
I feel like I remember someone saying yotas don't like it

Since you are from europe.
We use MPM PSF 50001MB or Kroon oil SP fluid 3013
i have cbr pump radial dynamics reservoir big cooler 200cc orbitrol and work perfect.

I have had great luck w/ swepco in my 3 yo psc full hydro setup. I wheel in the south so it is hot and have an ls that likes to run hot as well (avatar checks out lol). small heatsink style cooler w/ no fan on it.

In reading this thread, it would appear the brand of fluid is not very critical. Not sure if the OP has a heat problem, but it may need looking in to.

Top Back Refresh