What's new

Fox coilover reservoir hose question

The Unknown

Member Number
Loc
PNW
Prob a dumb question but whatever. I am planning to put 90 degree fittings on my Fox coilover reservoir hoses for clearance reasons and am wondering if it is just a straight forward swap or am I looking at fluid replacement and/or air burping once I open them up? The plan was/is to empty the nitrogen, fully extend the coilovers, hold them vertically and remove the hose. Install the 90 degree fitting onto the coilover body and reinstall the hose. Am I missing something?

You will get air inside. Take them apart, put fittings on, add oil and bleed through rodguide.

Thank you for the advice but unfortunately I am way to dumb to completely understand it. :lmao: Are you suggesting that I disassemble them as in removing the lower cap(?) that holds the rod wiper(?) in order to fill them? It figures lol. Sorry if my terminology is not correct btw. I guess I wasn't expecting to lose much fluid if I kept them upright when removing the hoses but apparently didn't quite understand how much fluid or how involved a seemingly simple procedure was/is. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything related to bleeding through the rod guide either. Call it bad planning if you will but seemingly as with everything I get involved in this is going to turn out to be way more involved than I anticipated lol. Thanks again and I will look for some related articles or videos so I can better understand what all is involved. :beer:

After watching my shocks get revalved this week I can assure you that you need to pull the shaft and piston to do what you are talking about. There is a floating piston in your reservoir that separates the nitrogen from the oil and the shock itself should not have any air at all in it. Its not so much a matter of losing fluid so much as introducing air into a sealed system.

I'm not sure where in the PNW you are but the people that valve my shocks are local and can help you out.

After watching my shocks get revalved this week I can assure you that you need to pull the shaft and piston to do what you are talking about. There is a floating piston in your reservoir that separates the nitrogen from the oil and the shock itself should not have any air at all in it. Its not so much a matter of losing fluid so much as introducing air into a sealed system.

I'm not sure where in the PNW you are but the people that valve my shocks are local and can help you out.
Yeah, the more I thought about it the more I realized air was going to be an issue. I just hoped by asking someone would say "Naw, easy peasy. Pull the hose, add the fitting and bleed" no such luck apparently.

I am in the Tacoma area. Looks like you're in Portland? Who did you use to revalve? I might start looking for someone to handle this for me as I don't really have the time/want to get that involved at this point. So far I've only used them for mock up and would rather focus my efforts on getting the chassis finished at this point.

Yeah, the more I thought about it the more I realized air was going to be an issue. I just hoped by asking someone would say "Naw, easy peasy. Pull the hose, add the fitting and bleed" no such luck apparently.

I am in the Tacoma area. Looks like you're in Portland? Who did you use to revalve? I might start looking for someone to handle this for me as I don't really have the time/want to get that involved at this point. So far I've only used them for mock up and would rather focus my efforts on getting the chassis finished at this point.
I am having Fullstack Motorsports handle my shock stuff. They have a guy in Vancouver and another in the Salem area.

Top Back Refresh