What's new

Found the original highlift from the titanic

If you’re not set on electrolysis a soak in a few gallons of white vinegar after wire brushing will set you back about $10 and is easily available from grocery store. I keep mine in a 5 gallon bucket and soak all kinds of stuff in it. I’ve had better luck with it ram evaporust. When it’s too gross to keep using it makes a great weed/plant killer in the lawn/wood line.

Ive lifted old telephone poles with a highlift jack.

Definitely 15 tons!
20210226_110824.jpg

a soak in a few gallons of white vinegar after wire brushing will set you back about $10 and is easily available from grocery store. I keep mine in a 5 gallon bucket and soak all kinds of stuff in it.
Are you soaking 12" at a time? And how would you do that? To soak the entire jack will take a 4' L (approx.) by 1' W (approx.) by 10" D (approx.) tub of "product". That's not "a few gallons"

My calcs say you need about 23 gallons to soak it in it's entirety.

Are you soaking 12" at a time? And how would you do that? To soak the entire jack will take a 4' L (approx.) by 1' W (approx.) by 10" D (approx.) tub of "product". That's not "a few gallons"

My calcs say you need about 23 gallons to soak it in it's entirety.
that doesn't sound right
a 100lb propane tank is 25ish gallons

ETA: 29ish gallons

Tank calculator

Reactions: PAE
Id do a electrolysis tank. It's stupid easy and works great. You probably have everything you need laying around anyway. I'd use multiple rods and make sure they are cleaned.. and swap out water/soda mix for best results.

If you cant find an old battery charger to use, just user your charger and find a dead battery and hook it up and then use jumper cables to hook up to your tank. Works great and tricks the battery charger.

I un rusted a very rusty generator gas tank a week ago. Soaked it in 9% vinegar for a few days. I was amazed how well it worked. There was a lot of rust flakes and scale in the take. I would shake it and rotate it every day. I didn’t fill the whole take up just about 20% and rotated the take to a different side every day. I have never done electrolysis but would recommend vinegar.

I have a Simplex 86a jack I bought at a garage sale in the 90’s. It’s a beast. I used it constantly on my bronco projects and trail rescues. It’s not a substitute for a hi-lift, nor is a hi-lift a substitute for it.

My calcs say you need about 23 gallons to soak it in its entirety.
how I do larger things is make a 2x10 frame in a rectangle. Lay a tarp in it so it creates a bowl/bag type situation then submerge then fold edges of tarp over. It’ll need to soak 7+ days. Move the item every few days or take out and hit it with a wire brush again then put back in. Once you have the metal where you want it you’ll need to soak in baking soda to counteract the vinegar. For smaller big stuff I have a plastic 55 gallon drum cut vertically.

For $23 gallons I’d be around $30 into vinegar. I don’t have access to the electrolysis stuff any more

Here’s some tire chains I soaked. The picture with the big ball was when I dropped them from about 3 feet onto the ground so frozen solid. This is about 7 days of soaking plus one flip. The cams were frozen shut and you couldn’t use them prior. You won’t get the worlds best results but for a backyard job I can’t complain. These went from scrap pile to still in use today

C2429CA1-28E0-45B2-9890-3FBB1DA33275.jpeg
54DDC8EA-2165-4B91-A355-29D2C5F109E9.jpeg

I un rusted a very rusty generator gas tank a week ago. Soaked it in 9% vinegar for a few days. I was amazed how well it worked. There was a lot of rust flakes and scale in the take. I would shake it and rotate it every day. I didn’t fill the whole take up just about 20% and rotated the take to a different side every day. I have never done electrolysis but would recommend vinegar.
I use 45% vinegar on weeds. You want to stay upwind of that shit when you're spraying it, that's for sure.

I've only ever used vinegar for rust, it works fine. I run it in my ultrasonic cleaner to clean cans too, works great. It'll kill magnesium(?) carbs on old stihls though, gotta be careful there.

Top Back Refresh