What's new

Forward swing outside the frame rail steering box?

Grendel

Iron Sharpens Iron
Member Number
So my C30 frame has a Sagniaw style box outside of the frame rail.

To set up my 2005+ SD60 front and and suspension, with cross over steering, a pitman arm forward steering box would be better clearance.

Anything out there I don't have to build new mounts for?

Send it to PSC or other reputable rebuild shop and have them reverse swing?:confused: From previous looking, it sounds like the effort involved is trivial.

Send it to PSC or other reputable rebuild shop and have them reverse swing?:confused: From previous looking, it sounds like the effort involved is trivial.

That may work, was thinking more like a Scout II box that mounts the guts above the frame rail. I am not sure I want to be without a box for long.

Found the Scout II info on the evil site.

That may work, was thinking more like a Scout II box that mounts the guts above the frame rail. I am not sure I want to be without a box for long.

Found the Scout II info on the evil site.

I LOVE scout 2 boxes... I've got three vehicles getting it(one converted, two in progress) The problem is they are VERY hard to find. The third one I bought about 1-2 years ago was close to $200 used. You won't go to Autozone and get a rebuild off the shelf.

^^^^fj60/62/80 boxes. But overlanders are fucking up find those cheap.

Had an old 1980 1 ton Chevy van that had that steering orientation if I remember correctly.

Had an old 1980 1 ton Chevy van that had that steering orientation if I remember correctly.

Yeah, that's the rock auto link I posted.

Not bad, but starting to lean towards a Ford style box that would give me more room for the pan hard bar mount.

So started looking for a 79 Ford F150 4wd steering box... or a Toyota land crusier.

I should have kept certian parts from that scrapped old hulk but was lazy and just needed to get the scrap off the area it was being stored at.

Wasnt sure if the 14 bolt differential was worth saving.

Last edited:
So, we should turn this into a tech thread. There are probably newer boxes that do this, too.

(I sort of knew what I was looking for)

JK boxes are forward swing but are mounted inside the rail with the guts above. A RHD box used on the outside of the drivers frame rail might be doable. As a bonus PSC sells those boxes with optional hydro assist ports and big bore piston kits to increase turning power without the use of a ram.

So started looking for a 79 Ford F150 4wd steering box... or a Toyota land crusier.

I'm rocking one of those f150 boxes on my tacoma. It's a BIG bastard for sure. I got mine from rock auto, prices are all over the map with them it seems.

Chevy g vans are forward swing.

yeah, found those, but they mount inside the rail, which is where the Duramax wants to live. Too bad, the link I posted of these from Rock Auto is cheap.

277526-fro__ra_p.jpg

As you can see, forward swing, outside the C channel frame rail Saginaw box would be tits. Yes, I have a dropped pitman arm on the rear swing box, backwards to mock it up. My plan is a forward swing box, flat pitman arm to match the angle of the panhard bar and remove the sway bar mounts. I can sneak in the panhard bar mount. Outside the frame rail, with the 1985 C3500 config allows me to use all factory 2005+ Ford steering.

I could plate inside the C channel frame to mount a JK box, but there's a lot of stuff that wants to live there.

If I can find something off the shelf that is outside mount with forward swing, I am golden.

169576693_10220932537317941_4163365933924700770_n.jpg

169318892_10220932537997958_9081108578723729959_n.jpg

JK boxes are forward swing but are mounted inside the rail with the guts above. A RHD box used on the outside of the drivers frame rail might be doable. As a bonus PSC sells those boxes with optional hydro assist ports and big bore piston kits to increase turning power without the use of a ram.

My dyslexic ass is working my brain through this. The RHD box...

Is there such thing as a RHD Astro van? That would have the correct orientation steering box if so...

You are confusing the Astro van that is metric frame based has the box on the inside of the frame rail. The older full size G vans have the forward swing box with the box on the outside of the rail.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/attachments/gedc0462-jpg.545555/
I have one if you want me to ship it to you off my junk. I only pulled it to go full hydro. IIRC it was an 87 chevy van. Its good for mockup or you need to seal the cover and flush it out.

I have a steering box from a 1977 ramcharger, forward swing, mounts outside the frame rail. rebuilt and ported for hydro assist by west Texas offroad. Willing to sell it if your interested.

photo56129.jpg

photo56130.jpg

I have a steering box from a 1977 ramcharger, forward swing, mounts outside the frame rail. rebuilt and ported for hydro assist by west Texas offroad. Willing to sell it if your interested.

How much?

You are confusing the Astro van that is metric frame based has the box on the inside of the frame rail. The older full size G vans have the forward swing box with the box on the outside of the rail.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/attachments/gedc0462-jpg.545555/
I have one if you want me to ship it to you off my junk. I only pulled it to go full hydro. IIRC it was an 87 chevy van. Its good for mockup or you need to seal the cover and flush it out.

Yes, I was... I even linked them from Rock Auto and promptly didn't flip the pic around. 127.00 for one.

If that Ram Charger one doesn't work, will grab one from Rock Auto.

Another option would be to build your own box. As long as the piston is the same diameter you can swap the guts from box to box. I have ~99 Chevy van guts in an s10 box.

maybe its just me, but isnt the only real diff between front swing and rear swing the pitan arm? Couldnt you cut it apart and make it foward swing and reweld it, making your own pitman arm?

maybe its just me, but isnt the only real diff between front swing and rear swing the pitan arm? Couldnt you cut it apart and make it foward swing and reweld it, making your own pitman arm?

if you mount the pitman arm opposite the original position the vehicle will turn opposite. Turn the wheel left tires go right.

Top Back Refresh