What's new

Ford Power Steering Line Experts I need Help

zerobalance

Member Number
Loc
Ohio, the middle part of it
Swapping my 79 ford onto a 2006 Super Duty frame, details here:

Buford 79 Ford

My power steering to hydroboost lines are about 6" short, and I figured the best route was to just get the correct adapter from the Box, pump and hydroboost to JIC fitting and make my own lines, the idea being that I could get the line itself made anywhere if one failed.

I found these fittings, which work on one side of the hydroboost and one side of the PS pump, however, the other side is a flare style fitting, with nylon washer and I am not finding an appropriate fitting to connect it to AN. I found these, which other claim to have used, but I'm a bit leery since it's only relying on the o ring where as the OEM is a flare. Here is what I am dealing with, I can find the nut itself, to make a line, but nothing to adapt to JIC style.
ekn7qJf.jpg

The Hydraulic Shop I had build my JIC adapter hose on the P/S pump side of my Ranger just cut the hard line on the original about 2" away from the fitting, drilled out a JIC plug and oxy-acetalyne welded them together. It has been like that for 7+ years and 2 P/S pumps with no issues, I just added a hose support bracket just after the connection.

That being said an o-ring boss type fitting is designed to handle a lot more pressure than a typical power steering system puts out. As long as the boss is either tapered at the end for an o-ring or flat for the o-ring / washer combo you linked I wouldn't think twice about using one.

The Hydraulic Shop I had build my JIC adapter hose on the P/S pump side of my Ranger just cut the hard line on the original about 2" away from the fitting, drilled out a JIC plug and oxy-acetalyne welded them together. It has been like that for 7+ years and 2 P/S pumps with no issues, I just added a hose support bracket just after the connection.

That being said an o-ring boss type fitting is designed to handle a lot more pressure than a typical power steering system puts out. As long as the boss is either tapered at the end for an o-ring or flat for the o-ring / washer combo you linked I wouldn't think twice about using one.
I thought about that same thing, just brazing a JIC adapter onto it. I hate to have something completely custom made, in case it fails 1000 miles from home.

I found these, which are the correct size thread for the ports I don't have fittings for (I assumed Ford used two different sizes at each end to make line position Idiot proof), but the sealing part looks a bit different. I'm pretty confused on the inverted flare stuff, I've done lot of hydraulic line stuff, but have never dealt with these.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have the exact solution for you, but I use to build prototype vehicles and most of the lines had to be fabricated, sometimes I used parts from a production line, sometimes I have to machine a fitting but in the end I got it done. Areoquip makes some really cool fittings, I called them "life savers", lol. I'll look around and see if I can find you a sample, I know I have some in the barn...... somewhere, lol. But Aeroquip was my go to company for the fittings that I usually used. Don't sweat it... it's doable you just need to poke around.
Pirtek (sp) is absolutely the best place I go to for the fittings I've used lately.

If you have something custom, just build 2 and keep it with your other spare parts.

I don't have the exact solution for you, but I use to build prototype vehicles and most of the lines had to be fabricated, sometimes I used parts from a production line, sometimes I have to machine a fitting but in the end I got it done. Areoquip makes some really cool fittings, I called them "life savers", lol. I'll look around and see if I can find you a sample, I know I have some in the barn...... somewhere, lol. But Aeroquip was my go to company for the fittings that I usually used. Don't sweat it... it's doable you just need to poke around.
Pirtek (sp) is absolutely the best place I go to for the fittings I've used lately.

Here's where I ended up, I'll post it here in the off chance anyone is googling around for it in the future.
On the box: 18mm-5/8 male JIC 90 w/ rubber o ring - > Hose (36" long 5/8" Female JIC-3/8" Female JIC)> 3/8" JIC elbow>Aeroquip FBM2608 connects to the left side port on the hydroboost. The other side of the box is the stock cooler line.

On the pump: Aeroquip FBM2608>3/8" JIC elbow> Hose (36" long 3/8"" Female JIC-3/8" Female JIC)>3/8" JIC elbow>Aeroquip FBM2608

The rest of the lines remain stock to cooler and reservoir
20231213_060850.jpg
20231213_060901.jpg
20231213_060853.jpg

Here's where I ended up, I'll post it here in the off chance anyone is googling around for it in the future.
On the box: 18mm-5/8 male JIC 90 w/ rubber o ring - > Hose (36" long 5/8" Female JIC-3/8" Female JIC)> 3/8" JIC elbow>Aeroquip FBM2608 connects to the left side port on the hydroboost. The other side of the box is the stock cooler line.

On the pump: Aeroquip FBM2608>3/8" JIC elbow> Hose (36" long 3/8"" Female JIC-3/8" Female JIC)>3/8" JIC elbow>Aeroquip FBM2608

The rest of the lines remain stock to cooler and reservoir
20231213_060850.jpg
20231213_060901.jpg
20231213_060853.jpg
Clean that "china" shit off that fitting, you don't want to make your truck look bad. I alway clean that shit off, if it's cast in then I get the grinder out.

I can't find those fittings online that i was talking about. I'm going to look in my fitting assortment because i know I have some. If you have access to a lathe you could probably turn the right fitting into something like what I'm talking about. I have modified fitting on a lathe before so I didn't need multiple fitting to make a connection, I hate that shit, I called that a Christmas tree.

These are the fitting, with them you cut the steel tubing from the original line, silver solder or braze the line to the fitting. Then the rest of the fitting is typical Aeroquip and just thread it to the hose. I knew that I had some.

Attachments

• A244ECC5-0F91-4225-A946-776C25CD2FBF.jpeg
    A244ECC5-0F91-4225-A946-776C25CD2FBF.jpeg
    404.3 KB · Views: 9
Top Back Refresh