What's new

Ford Maverick

SomeGuy

Awesome, Busted.
Member Number
Loc
Canada
Haven't seen anything on this here yet...

Shame they aren't offering it with a regular cab and longer bed...4.5 feet is too short, wish it was 6.5 feet and I also imagine it's not 4 feet wide in the bed. Why can't they make a super compact pickup that can fit a sheet of plywood flat with the tailgate down?

Why can't they make a super compact pickup that can fit a sheet of plywood flat with the tailgate down?
Did you read the article you linked?

"it can hold up to 18 sheets of 4x8 three-quarter-inch plywood laid flat, provided the overhanging portion of the load is properly strapped down and flagged. "

Unibodies don't work in the truck world. Ford tried that for a year and figured it out...thus the sportrac wasn't. I believe even Honda has separated the bed and cab on the ridgeline (I could be wrong).

Sales didn't drop off on the compact trucks due to no market. They dropped off due to them costing as much as full size.

I really wished Mahindra could have gotten their diesel compact truck approved for US sales.

I didn’t read the article:flipoff2: But how are they able to lay 4x8 sheets flat Between the wheel wells? Is it an IRS?

Like I posted in the Bronco thread, I had a OG Ranger and like that size of truck for a lot of everyday jobs that don’t require me to use the CTD. I was disappointed in the new Ranger, it’s damn near the size and cost of an F150 with similar mileage. With the Maverick I was hoping for a small cheap truck with a 6’ bed. I’m disappointed.

Those stubby truck beds have always come across more useless than the suv version their based on, Avalanche vs Suburban, Sporttrac vs Explorer, Subaru Baja vs Outback, etc. I mean, save maybe the one or two times in your life you need to haul a refrigerator.

1623165770904.png

Did you read the article you linked?

"it can hold up to 18 sheets of 4x8 three-quarter-inch plywood laid flat, provided the overhanging portion of the load is properly strapped down and flagged. "

I meant between the wheel wells flat on the floor...I guess they've come up with a "clever" system to load it over the wheel wells flat.

I meant between the wheel wells flat on the floor...I guess they've come up with a "clever" system to load it over the wheel wells flat.

The article says that you have to put the tailgate in a "half down" position, and in this position it can haul 18 sheets of plywood. So I assume that means they are on top of the wheel wells and supported by the edge of the tailgate.

Those stubby truck beds have always come across more useless than the suv version their based on, Avalanche vs Suburban, Sporttrac vs Explorer, Subaru Baja vs Outback, etc. I mean, save maybe the one or two times in your life you need to haul a refrigerator.
I dissagree.

I really liked the Sport Trac platform, I drove one for years.

it did everything I needed done, hauled lots of stuff in the bed and on a utility trailer.

I like the size for a daily driver.

So I went to Ford’s website to check this out. It is IRS and either FWD or AWD, not low range. It is also a CVT. Watching the video they had on the bed, the 4x8’s will be supported on some cross braces to fit in the bed and not between the wheel wells. Also according the the video, the only thing that will fit between the wheel wells is the gay interracial couple sleeping in the bed

If you can't haul a bicycle with the tailgate up, you're not a truck. I wish some manufacturers would offer a true mini truck again. All of them have become bloated full size trucks. They can offer econobox cars so safety really can't be the issue. Also, why use the nameplate of one of the ugliest cars of the 70's? Call it a Courier or make a new name with some originality.
-Maverick-First-Look-27.jpg?fit=around%7C765.8:478.jpg

If you can't haul a bicycle with the tailgate up, you're not a truck. I wish some manufacturers would offer a true mini truck again. All of them have become bloated full size trucks. They can offer econobox cars so safety really can't be the issue. Also, why use the nameplate of one of the ugliest cars of the 70's? Call it a Courier or make a new name with some originality.
-Maverick-First-Look-27.jpg?fit=around%7C765.8:478.jpg
Is that it ^^^ ??

Looks just like the older Ridgeline

Holy shit they copied an old name and an old truck design.

I guess Ford is just out of talent and ideas these days??

2017-Honda-Ridgeline-AWD-110.jpg

Havent seen a maverick since it was advertised on the side of a subway train in the film dirty harry.

I've hauled quite a lot in my gen1 EXT(avalanche). The bed has rarely limited me for homeowner duty. Fold the midgate down and you've got room for more sheets of 3/4" ply than the rear suspension will be happy hauling. Think I had 17 sheets of OSB in the back one load.

it ain't for everyone, but it's perfect for my uses. Will probably replace it with another, but one from the South so it's not rust-ridden

Ghey as fawk. If they are going to bring back the name then it should at least draw some styling elements from the original.

This is the problem...the bed is too short. Screw the crew cab, this is rarely going to be a families only vehicle...they will have an SUV or minivan for the kid hauling and family trips, this will be the dad's commuter vehicle that can go to the store on the weekend...only needs 3 across the front and no back seats, or at worst the sideways jump seats like the old ranger.

I've been thinking about a newer cheapish sedan for DD things.

This thing looked interesting in lieu of a sedan.

I'm assuming it will be about the same size as an old ranger.

I started the "build and price" for an XLT on the Ford website.

I was immediately uninterested when I got to the part that said FWD and CVT only.

No thank you.

Top Back Refresh