What's new

Ford 9.75

Jbevs

Member Number
Anybody have good info? There is one on the back of my 2003 that is becoming my daily. 3.55 gears, 5.4L , 4 speed tranny. Drives well enough, I'll likely add an arb locker within a year as there doesn't seem to be any better options. Lsd is not preferred over a selectable locker, but this seemingly good axle seems not well supported.

Its not.

There are 2 basic versions small and big axle bearing. Small is the same as 8.8 so if you got the small, meh.

They were only really in the expedition and the crew cab f150s 6 lugs. So no, they arent a really well supported axle.

8.8 but a big ass cover/housing.

Diff and gears are strong AF since it's basically D60 sized stuff designed with modern methods and more offset.

Shafts are nothing special.

Once upon a time 486 said something about the big bearing ones actually supported less load in practice than the small bearing ones because the smaller rollers spread the load more evenly or something.

It's not "well" supported but that basically just means no selectable locker.

Think of it like an 8.8 but with the ability to run an LS carrier without making the carrier the weak point.

There is a factory E locker you can get for half the price of an ARB.

The axle is pretty comparable strength-wise to a 35 spline semi-float Dana 60.

There is a factory E locker you can get for half the price of an ARB.

The axle is pretty comparable strength-wise to a 35 spline semi-float Dana 60.
I don't think I can't get the elocker in the same bolt pattern. Can I and I just don't know?

I don't think I can't get the elocker in the same bolt pattern. Can I and I just don't know?

What do you mean? did they change the ring gear bolt pattern at some point? If they did, I appologize for the bad advice, I wasn't aware they ever made any significant changes with the 9.75. You could still probably get the gears and Elocker for quite a bit cheaper than the ARB though if that is the case.

The only thing they changed in 2010/2011 was the pinion bearing size. These are still used in the 3.5 ecoboost f150s. Was used behind the 5.0/3.5 from 2011-2014 before the super 8.8 was put behind the 5.0.

They were behind the 5.4s for 10-15 years prior.

Have 340k behind 5.4 4x4. Many burnouts and lots of donuts. Would recommend!

The only thing they changed in 2010/2011 was the pinion bearing size. These are still used in the 3.5 ecoboost f150s. Was used behind the 5.0/3.5 from 2011-2014 before the super 8.8 was put behind the 5.0.

They were behind the 5.4s for 10-15 years prior.

I actually put an earlier set of used gears in mine like 50k ago. It's got just shy of 170k km on it.

So I had to use a conversion pinion bearing but it works. Went from 3.31s to 3.73s

Heres what westcoast list in 2019.

20221124_144849.jpg

What do you mean? did they change the ring gear bolt pattern at some point? If they did, I appologize for the bad advice, I wasn't aware they ever made any significant changes with the 9.75. You could still probably get the gears and Elocker for quite a bit cheaper than the ARB though if that is the case.
I would prefer to just swap in an axle with the elocker already in it, but bolt pattern changed in 2004 or so. I also thought spline count changed before the elocker was offered, but that seems to not be the case.

I would prefer to just swap in an axle with the elocker already in it, but bolt pattern changed in 2004 or so. I also thought spline count changed before the elocker was offered, but that seems to not be the case.

Oh, you're talking about the wheel bolt pattern. Swapping out an entire axle is more work than swapping out a carrier :homer:

Oh, you're talking about the wheel bolt pattern. Swapping out an entire axle is more work than swapping out a carrier :homer:
While likely true, I have no appetite to learn to set up gears.

All you have to do is set the backlash which is easy; you don't even need to run a pattern. I don't understand why people like to act like setting up gears is some sort of impossible witchcraft :laughing: It really is not that hard.
Because mouth breathing flat rate techs who rattle gun the shit out of everything with no regard for fitment have problems with it and people think that just because "real mechanics" have problems with it and/or don't want to fuck with it then it must be hard.

Because mouth breathing flat rate techs who rattle gun the shit out of everything with no regard for fitment have problems with it and people think that just because "real mechanics" have problems with it and/or don't want to fuck with it then it must be hard.

Yup, done 6 gear sets, not one has blown up. Even using used gears no problems.

However I'm a millwright... I understand them thousands of an inch....

Yup, done 6 gear sets, not one has blown up. Even using used gears no problems.

However I'm a millwright... I understand them thousands of an inch....
I was a framing carpenter. Even though we were in the same union, I don't not understand them thousandths. My rear axle, I think, also has a loud whine under load from about 50-60 mph. Changing the fluid didn't help, so I figured a different axle may be quieter. I'm looking in to finding a factory elocker to drop in. I was never real excited about the arb.

Well i am a millright a d a diff guy and there is an art to it.

Some times you get a shitty set that doesnt want to co-operate or setup reasonably. But those are typicaly aftermarket sets.

Oe sets are typicaly much better gears.
Swapping in a different carrier is a much easier job as said, you just have to replicate the back lash. Which is just a matter of moving shims. And on most modern axles they are between brg and housing not under the brg on the carrier , so no special tools needed. Just pull the shafts, swap the ring and read your dial indicator. You dont even need to read a pattern.

Well i am a millright a d a diff guy and there is an art to it.

Some times you get a shitty set that doesnt want to co-operate or setup reasonably. But those are typicaly aftermarket sets.

Oe sets are typicaly much better gears.
Swapping in a different carrier is a much easier job as said, you just have to replicate the back lash. Which is just a matter of moving shims. And on most modern axles they are between brg and housing not under the brg on the carrier , so no special tools needed. Just pull the shafts, swap the ring and read your dial indicator. You dont even need to read a pattern.
Yup the 9.75 is dead simple to set up. And I used used 3.73s a pinion crush eliminator and a conversion bearing. All things that can change the set up drastically.

I'm in the boat that just bolting in an axle assembly is less work than swapping carriers, especially when you factor in adding a hole for wiring and routing wires inside a diff. Not that it's hard, but still more work than just bolting in an axle.

As mentioned isn't the elocker carrier a larger spline axle than previous axles?

Top Back Refresh