What's new

Ford 2.7 vs 3.5 vs. 5.0

WFT are you talking about, you're scared of modern cars aren't you? Too much witchcraft you don't understand?
I'm not scared of it but don't pretend like tripling the real estate and fasteners on the engine cover, adding a bunch of electronics that need to be gingerly unplugged (though connectors are way better than they used to be), burying random parts way in there, etc. etc don't add to labor times.

Valve covers on an '00s Subaru, something that's pretty traditionally considered a shit job (I think those people are pussies but whatever) is undeniably better than the same job on a 2.7 F150.
I like the newer plastic intakes without coolant passages.
Don't worry, they add an oil cooler to make up for lost leak points. :flipoff2:

Someone will make a chain conversion

Wonder if the earlier chain can be retrofitted?

Right around the 17 minute mark that guy says the earlier models had timing chains and he thought that 2018 was when the switched to the belt.

Reactions: DMG
I'm not scared of it but don't pretend like tripling the real estate and fasteners on the engine cover, adding a bunch of electronics that need to be gingerly unplugged (though connectors are way better than they used to be), burying random parts way in there, etc. etc don't add to labor times.

Valve covers on an '00s Subaru, something that's pretty traditionally considered a shit job (I think those people are pussies but whatever) is undeniably better than the same job on a 2.7 F150.

Things are better now than they were 20 years ago for the majority of things. The days of 4 bolt valve cover and a engine bay you can sit in are long gone. Then again so are the days of 100k on a car being a lot.

Subaru's are pretty easy to do valve covers on. The thing you're missing is fucking EVERY Subaru of that era has valve cover leaks. How many 2.7s have you seen with valve covers leaking? Anyone here change out valve cover gaskets in their 2.7 yet?

Ok im going to look at a 2014 5.0 4x4 150 tommorow with 167k on it. If it apears well taken care of am I asking for any imediate major problems? Does it have a decent likelyhood of hitting 300k?
Got a text from the delar that it was still available at 9am and got there at noon to find it just sold. Oh well

Had a valve cover leak replaced on warranty after they did the cam phaser warranty. I think they assembled it poorly, but were good about it and no questions asked. 3.5L.

What were they asking and do you know what it sold for?
2014 f150 4x4 extended cab long bed with lumber rack. Looked like a very clean work truck, 162k.
Asking 13.9. I assume they sold it for close to that. It was the day after they listed it.

its actually a pretty rare combination and about as un-cool as a truck can get, but its exactly what I want
Screenshot_20230731_173558_Facebook.jpg

I'm looking for the same, ex cab/longbed, not many out there. There's a '19 XL 5.0L w/110k locally that needs an engine for 11.5 that has me pricing things out.

Last edited:
What were they asking and do you know what it sold for?

Curious as well.
2014 f150 4x4 extended cab long bed with lumber rack. Looked like a very clean work truck, 162k.
Asking 13.9. I assume they sold it for close to that. It was the day after they listed it.

its actually a pretty rare combination and about as un-cool as a truck can get, but its exactly what I want

a crew cab bitch bed with 167k is $10k.

must be CA pricing

Curious as well.

a crew cab bitch bed with 167k is $10k.

must be CA pricing
I think its that combined with the rarity. They seem to sell fastt whenever they pop up... and that was at a used truck delar thats always on the high side of fair

Plenty of f250s with that 6.2 for that price. Passed on a loaded 2015 f250 eclb 4x4 @13k with the 6.2 a few weeks ago because of rust issues.

Plenty of f250s with that 6.2 for that price. Passed on a loaded 2015 f250 eclb 4x4 @13k with the 6.2 a few weeks ago because of rust issues.
I bet he is looking for the 20mpg highway vs 14 mpg highway the 250s and 350s get.

That crazy. My '14 is bone stock..14-15mpg on the hiway if you are babying it.

2 guys and 2 dirtbikes in the truck running 80-85mph got 8.5mpg:shaking:

22' 2.7 ccsb 4x4 3.55 with stock tires got 22-24 babying it along, 20-22 normal driving.

Wife wanted slightly larger all-terrains. Its doing about 19.5-20.5 where it got 20-22 before. Speedo not corrected for tires.

Made coming from a 19' 5.0 with 36 gallon tank to the stupid 26 gallon tank bearable - at least they aren't 23 anymore.

My 2019 5.0 10 speed 4wd with 3.73 is super lucky to get 18 or 19. Mixed mostly 55 mph driving. (And burns oil like a mofo)

My 2019 5.0 10 speed 4wd with 3.73 is super lucky to get 18 or 19. Mixed mostly 55 mph driving. (And burns oil like a mofo)
I started to do an oil consumption test but half of my 1000 mile test was towing in the mountains of West Virginia so I suspect it will burn some oil doing that. My Chevy 6.0 and 2V v10 sure did. The 3V didn’t. How much does yours burn?

14.5 mpg towing this from south of Charleston to Pennsylvania. Downshifting a lot in the mountains and making me regret the noisy JLT intake. Cruise set on 65-75 tow/haul on, 10th gear locked out
20230802_072540_resized.jpeg

I started to do an oil consumption test but half of my 1000 mile test was towing in the mountains of West Virginia so I suspect it will burn some oil doing that. My Chevy 6.0 and 2V v10 sure did. The 3V didn’t. How much does yours burn?
So I expected it to burn some oil in 1000 miles of mostly towing in the mountains but it didn’t. It has been a little low before but that may be with an extended interval or before I put the mustang pcv valve in.

Anyone here have to hook up to get all the ford service records based on vin?

Have some parts from a 2015? Ecoboost 3.5. All 6 pugs are there. One wasnt in the pic. Water neck of some kind, intake and some exhaust gaskets.
If someone wants them, pm me an address and they will go out monday

20230825_095627.jpg
day
20230825_095539.jpg

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh