What's new

Family heirloom vehicles?

Nope. Vehicles were never important enough to keep them for decades. Maybe when one gets finished and they’re too old to enjoy it It will be passed down, but I doubt it. The monetary value will override the sentimental. I don’t even consider handing my truck to my son as an option because I like it too much.

Nope. Vehicles were never important enough to keep them for decades. Maybe when one gets finished and they’re too old to enjoy it It will be passed down, but I doubt it. The monetary value will override the sentimental. I don’t even consider handing my truck to my son as an option because I like it too much.

That last statement contradicts the previous ones... :laughing:

82 Toyota 4x4

My mom bought it as a low mile trade in, in 84. Brought me and my sister home in it and is in general the worst vehicle owner there is. It's been sitting for years and she finally gave it to me. It needs a lot of love, but Im pretty sure it will run and drive with a new battery and fuel system flush.

It's had those old chrome mods with the bronze/gold centers ever since I can remember. 2 are gone now though and the other 2 are pretty rough. I'd like to find a set and put some bfg at's on it since that's pretty much what it's always been.

Dad's got a 65' Dodge D100 he's giving to my son. Were going to restore it/fix it up. It will stay in the family. I was given a 76' F100 4x4 when I was 17 by my grandparents. Sure with my parents wouldn't have let me sell that.

I have a 1939 chevy pickup that my great grandma purchased.

Not from family, but from friends. 32 Ford Pickup Truck. My next project truck.

32fordtires.jpg - Click image for larger version Name:	32fordtires.jpg Views:	0 Size:	758.1 KB ID:	269249

Last edited:
My great grandfather bought this new off the lot, 52 F1. My grandfather bought it from him. I used to sit on a bucket in it pretending to drive when I was a little boy. My Dad, brother, and I built it into this when I was 14 -16. It was passed to me because I have the only grandson, I have passed it to my Son and look forward to a rebuild once he gets a place with a shop.

20170425_111904.jpg

20170425_111904.jpg

20170425_111904.jpg

Last edited:
I got a 1966 Plymouth Fury VIP from my dad (still here), but it was bought new by my grandfather off the showroom floor in 1966. Has 81k miles on it. That goes to my son when he’s old enough.

Got through a relative a 1984 Oldsmobile Toronado. 18k Km’s since new. It was bought as well off the showroom floor. That car will go to my daughter.. when she’s old enough so she doesn’t sell it.

My dad also has a 1947 M47 Mercury Pickup.. from my understanding in Canada we got Mercury badged pickups instead of Ford pickups. That’s going to my brother.

I got my 1979 Malibu wagon from my father when he passed away back in 2013. He had the car my whole life, a lot of good memories with him in this car. Other than adding the wheels/tires, swapping out the original Saginaw 4 speed trans for a stronger T10 4 speed, and a couple small things to clean it up, the car is as he built it. I don't ever plan on changing it. I badly want to go boosted LS but for the sake of keeping it how my dad did it, I'll end up keeping the 396. I do want to throw in a 9" rear as the car desperately needs a spool or locker and I don't trust the stock 10 bolt.

I miss my dad like crazy but this car always helps that feeling when I wrench on it or drive it.

That is one sweet wagon! :smokin::smokin::grinpimp:

I inherited my father's 2002 F350 PSD RCLB. I drove it a few years, put a new bed on it to get rid of most the rust. I sold it a few years ago because regular cab and it was about to become a giant headache.

Would love to track down his 82 F250 he had semi restored when I was 15. I kept track of it after he sold it, but I moved out of town and lost its path. Its probably rotted and scraped by now.

Some cool stories in here.

All I have are stories..." I had a 70 Chevelle when I was your age..." :laughing:

I do have a bone stock '64 Chevy II that is waiting for a repaint, my daughter wants it, so eventualy, yes we will have an heirloom...

My 1978 CJ-5 will be the first gen family heirloom. I've owned it since I was 14 (over 20 years now) and I plan to pass it along to which ever of my daughters shows the most interest in it.

My youngest probably wants some or all, nothing from before me.

I was the second owner of my Brother in laws 82 S10 which was bright yellow. Sold it when we had kids. Wish I'd kept it now but after doing the Timing chain and later the clutch I did not like working on it much. It's the only vehicle I ever noticed a solid power difference after putting on a KN airfilter. It went 3 MPH faster up the pass I commuted on to work. Still couldn't get up to 60 MPH though up steep grades. It had a nice topper that the back window opened up into. 4 wheel drive too.

Last edited:
I am building one with each of my kids.

I didn't get any, my father sold them all when my grandfather died.

He did leave a car business and a barn full of projects, but that was always work, never fun.

My dad has a 69 Chevelle vert that my grandfather bought. AFAIK gramps didnt buy it new, but not long after. My dad and his brother took their driving tests in it. Overall its in decent shape. Runs ok, my dad takes it out every couple weeks for a lap around town. The motor was rebuilt at some point by my uncle and some information is questionable about what was done, but it at least seems to be reliable. Probably needs some carb work to really run right.

One day I'll get it. Probably at that point I will tackle some of the work that my dad wont commit on - suspension mostly. Right now he is trying to figure out what to do about the top. Its in semi passable shape, but getting caught in the rain would be an issue. From asking around he's heard everything from it takes an expert to a weekend project.

Honda Trail 90. dad used to ride it to work. I remember riding on it, sitting on a pillow on the luggage rack. Been sitting in the garage since I was little.

This is a very special car to me. My Dad restored this 55 Chevy Station wagon back when I was just a little kid. Obviously the car is ugly, and the body & paint work aren't that great, but both my Dad and I love this car. Its an inline 6/3 speed on the column, and the only aftermarket thing on the car is the overdrive unit on the back of the transmission. He keeps it at his beach house on the Delaware shore. Since we run a business together, he and I haven't been down to the beach together since I was a senior in high school. The thing is, he and I both love driving it, so when either of us head down on vacation it ends up being the daily driver for the week. Dad basically uses it as a truck, hauling lumber, brush, gas cans, etc... I use it as the family beach cruiser so it has sand all over the floor and beach chairs/umbrellas/boogie boards in it for the week. I've already told him the wagon is the one I want to inherit. I've got illusions of throwing a Holley single barrel tbi injection on the 6 cylinder, adding power brakes, and maybe some more modern wheels. Other than that, just leave it and keep cruising it.
20190819_142030.jpg

This is the car I'm currently dealing with as an heirloom. 1963 Studebaker Avanti R1 (non supercharged) This car belonged to my Uncle (Dad's brother) for as long as I've been alive. When my Uncle was suffering with his cancer, I was the best match to be his bone marrow donor. Unfortunately his health got so bad so quickly, we were never able to do the procedure. He was literally laying in his death bed when he gifted this car to me. It had been sitting on jack stands in his garage for the last 30 years because he was re-doing the entire brake system, and life just got in the way and it never got done.

I managed to get the car back together enough to get it back to my house. I've done a brake upgrade to the front and got it running again (poorly). I had to build some brackets for the driver's seat so I can get my fat ass in there, and I threw a set of craigslist wheels on it. The problem is, this car leaks every fluid that it holds, and parts are non-existent. My Uncle told me the car would burn a quart of oil every thousand miles or so, and he admitted that the engine was "ragged out" and probably needed a rebuild. Right now I'm struggling with either trying to source engine parts to rebuild the stock 289 Studebaker engine, or just swap an LS in it and drive the wheels off of it.

I went to start it the other day to move it down to my pole barn and the starter wouldn't engage the flex plate, so I had to push it. Since I've been working on it, its been 1 step forward and 2 steps back. At this point, its going in "time out" for a while until I figure out what I want to do with it.

20200714_184512.jpg

I have a few.

1942 GPW, fully restored. Wife’s great grandfather purchased it brand new from the military on the pallet. Sat on the pallet until 198? in his garage. It was his pride and joy.

Wife’s father restored it mechanically (body’s already perfect) in 90 because it had never once been started and everything was dried out. Great grandfather passed, grand father passed and it sat. Everyone in their family knows how I collect Willys and jeeps (I currently have at least 10) and passed it to me.

1969 Camaro
2nd cousin purchased it new, wrecked in 1988, bent the rear axle and took out rear quarter. Sat until 2000 in his backyard under a tarp. Aunt and uncle from vegas that I’m super close with bought it in 2000, took it to a body shop. Car was “stolen”, uncle threatened to shoot the owner, owner “found it” dumped around the block.

I always told them I want it for my collection and would never sell it. 2015 it was mine. Stripped it down and had all the hack body work fixed. Body is now flawless and painted. She’s my massive money pit that I do random burnouts in.

1990 reg cab, shortbed Chevy.
My dad bought it new and it was his baby. Some of my greatest memories are in that truck. A nasty divorce between my parents caused me to live in it when I couldn’t stay at friends between age 16-17.

I straight axled it when I was 21 and I’m now 36. It’s sitting in my shop, getting ready to be sent out for body and paint. I’ll die with this truck. That trucks been through more with me than one could ever imagine.

My dad is giving my son his 94 F-150 when my son turns 16. Has less than 80k miles on it still and the body is in exceptional condition. I will spend some time with my son doing a minor resto at that time.

photo41868.jpg

Forgot about my 85 Suzuki 185. Was mine until I grew out of it, got passed around to my cousins, now I have it back. Will be my boys when he's big enough to ride it.
IMG_20200623_214248459.jpg

No. Vehicles come and go (like women). Too many cool ones to get myopically attached to certain ones. ymmv.

Welll.... mine is not really a heirloom...

I grew up in the back seat of my dad's 1977 Wagoneer. We took that thing across the country 3 times towing a Holiday Rambler in the late 70's/early 80's. I had seen every single state of the Union with the exception of Alaska and Hawaii through the windows of that thing before I had even hit 6th grade. We spent a lot of time in the west exploring down dirt roads, the mountains, the desert etc. in that thing. I have a lot of memories wrapped up in that Wagoneer. It was also my "first car" in high school, but that did not last that long. It was tired and all rusted out from the harsh upstate NY winters it spent it's first few years in.

Several years back I got a 1990 Wagon from OTR on Pirate, partly out of nostalgia, but also because I wanted my boys to have the same experiences and memories that I had when I was a kid, exploring the West in a Wagon.

We have wheeled it on the Rubicon multiple times, took it on quite a few of my club's trips, even explored the Eastern Sierra and took it to places like Bodie, Lundy Canyon etc. This last Rubicon trip, my 16 year old wheeled it most of the way. And that big lumbering beast is a PITA to rock crawl. You really need to know how to pick a line. (He also worked on it himself and prepped it for that trip)

Well, it can not pass the Commie CA smog laws so it can't get tags, it has issue after issue, shit keeps breaking and people tease me about it constantly, but I just can't let it go. Now I have a slew of memories with my own kids in this rig. While both my two older teens have their own Flat Fenders right now, I have a feeling the Wagon has a place in their hearts and I doubt we will ever let it go.

Click image for larger version Name:	20200713_091743.jpg Views:	0 Size:	448.2 KB ID:	269627

Grandparents had two that I wish were still around. GP bought a 1970 F100 short bed new, 302, 3 on the tree, factory air. GM had a '67-'69, dont recall the exact year, Dodge Dart GT, 2 door, yellow, black interior. bucket seats and console, automatic, unsure which V8.

Hard to say for me, I've sold mostly everything.
The only thing I do have is my grandfathers 1946 Bantam trailer. It was his, given to my dad, given to me.
It's not mint, my grandfather cut off the pintle hitch and welded on a 1 7/8 hitch, my dad cut all that off and put a 2" hitch on it.
It's had a few sheets of "flooring" installed, and tons of paint jobs.
It's a good trailer, I've used it a lot taken it as from CA to Arkansas, been on the Rubicon a ton , but it normally just holds aluminum scrap in my yard.
In the epic here it has my flooring for the house in it, I forget the weight, but it was close to 4k.

59751504_10218917437237590_3982301785749454848_n.jpg

Ol' Blu, getting it done when the new ones can't. Bought it in '77 with 40K on it. Started as a 2v 360 automatic, power, a/c, 2wd. In '95 I rebuilt the 360 and changed it to a 390, 4v alum intake. Shortly there after I made it into a 4wd, NP435, NP205, Detroit locker out back with 35x12.50's. At the same time I traded a paint job for the BLM pto Ramsey winch you can see on the front. The winch still works perfect. Gave it to my son on his 18th birthday in about 2011. We built it into the current rig you see. Locked and linked Rockwells/46's with a 7.3 IDI diesel 205/203 doubler. We are looking at moving up to 54's at some point. Old fire engine siren up front to call the cows. New grandson is in line to inherit it.

20210101_130243[1].jpg

Top Back Refresh