What's new

Family heirloom vehicles?

Poriggity

Ketchup Dog
Member Number
Loc
Bates City, Mo
Anyone else have a vehicle that has been in thier family, that will always stay in the family? Mine is this 1984 Chevy S10 Durango 4x4, with the awesomely anemic 2.8 V6. My grandfather bought it new in 1983 and used it to explore all over the deserts of southern california. He passed away in 1989 and a few years after that, my grandmother had it repainted. She gave the truck to me just before she passed away. I was living on so cal at the time and coukd not get it to pass smog, so i gave it to my parents who were living in Missouri. A few years later, my dad gave it to my brother, and it pretty much has sat in his garage for the last 5 years, only to come out once a year for its annual required safety inspection. Long story short, i hated not seeing it being driven, and its now titled back in my name and in my driveway.. i don't see it ever leaving again. It will always be in our family.

attach268872.jpg

attach268873.jpg

attach268874.jpg

attach268875.jpg

attach268876.jpg

Last edited:
Nope, but I could smack my mom for getting rid of my grandfather's 86 Eldorado. He bought it new when he retired, then got cancer and died like a year later. Sat covered in the driveway for years until my grandma died and my mom scrapped it without telling anyone a few years ago. I'm sure the electrical would be a nightmare, but other than that it was pristine and had like 4k original miles on it.

I miss my 86 s-10 My dad sold it out from under me when I went to boot camp. I beat the tits off that truck.

There's a 91 Caprice classic that has been kicking around my family since it rolled off the showroom floor.

My 71 bronco. I can honestly see selling the axles and putting it back to stock when I am old and give it to my daughter.

No pics ATM, but my grandfather purchased a Buick Apollo in the spring of 73. In 92, it was passed down to our house, as 4 teenagers were coming up on licenses. In 94, the engine blew (older sister was going 100+ on the interstate when the timing chain let go). In 95, when my dad and his second wife's divorce was final, she got the car with the blown engine. She gave it to her youngest son, who proceeded to try to make it a budget street/strip car. 3 minor wrecks, 3 engines, and 2 transmissions later, he just finished up the new powertrain when it broke a PS line. He got pissed and left it in his mom's driveway. In 2004, I came along hearing that he was going to sell it, offered him $500, then fixed the PS line and drove it to Florida two days later.

Its currently in my shop, patiently awaiting disassembly. I have a 1972 Buick 455 that I am going to put a B4B intake, 800 cfm carb, cam, 70 heads, and flat-top pistons in to bring it over 500/500 that is sitting on a stand waiting for the day the project begins. It will eventually be passed on to another family member; probably my son upon my demise.

I'm getting ready to start redoing a 77 f100 short bed 4wd. My uncle bought it new. Then my dad had it and I got it from him in my early 20s. Our (wife and i) first date was in that truck. I sold it back to dad right after we got married...30 years ago. Dad kept it all this time and gave it back to me.

The bed Is shot and it's going to need a grill. I'm going to swap out the tired 360 for a 2000 explorer 5.0 and keep the 4spd.

It may not mean much to anyone else but I wouldn't trade it for a new truck.

Last edited:
Don't have any pics of either currently but I fully intend to keep my dad's '70 F100 and his flat fender in the family, he's owned both since the late 70's/early 80's. I'm glad now that he refused to sell either one of them to me when I was younger and would've ruined or sold them. He's got a 54 International pickup that's been sitting in his shop since before I was born, last licensed in 78 or 79 that might get the same treatment. I asked about it when he was getting rid of a bunch of shit last year and he said "Well, I don't know what you're gonna do with that thing".

(Untitled)

The 86 Mustang my son and I are working on. He came home from the hospital in it when he was born

My firat car was an 83 Mustang hatchback 4 cylinder 4 speed manual. That car is what fueled my love for Fox Body mustangs. One day i will own a teal 93 Cobra!

attach268930.jpg

Anyone else have a vehicle that has been in thier family, that will always stay in the family? Mine is this 1984 Chevy S10 Durango 4x4, with the awesomely anemic 2.8 V6. My grandfather bought it new in 1983 and used it to explore all over the deserts of southern california. He passed away in 1989 and a few years after that, my grandmother had it repainted. She gave the truck to me just before she passed away. I was living on so cal at the time and coukd not get it to pass smog, so i gave it to my parents who were living in Missouri. A few years later, my dad gave it to my brother, and it pretty much has sat in his garage for the last 5 years, only to come out once a year for its annual required safety inspection. Long story short, i hated not seeing it being driven, and its now titled back in my name and in my driveway.. i don't see it ever leaving again. It will always be in our family.

I had that almost exact truck, LWB regular cab, same color red, same 2.8 V6, same wheels. I bought it when it was a year old with 20k miles.The only real difference is mine was a 1988.

Over 30 years later and about 35 or so vehicles I owned it still wears the crown of being the absolute worst pile of shit I have ever owned since I started driving in 1980.

My grandfather bought this 36' ford new. He and my grandmother we're on a date in it celebrating her 18th birthday the day pearl harbor happened. Grandma's father was a colonel in the army so as soon as they got word of the attack Pop rushed her home. My parent used it for their wedding and so did my wife and I on our wedding day.

NFS.

photo41810.jpg

(Untitled)

I had that almost exact truck, LWB regular cab, same color red, same 2.8 V6, same wheels. I bought it when it was a year old with 20k miles.The only real difference is mine was a 1988.

Over 30 years later and about 35 or so vehicles I owned it still wears the crown of being the absolute worst pile of shit I have ever owned since I started driving in 1980.
🤣 yeah its not exactly the greatest truck ever, but it holds a special place, and honestly its been fairly reliable considering its age. The crazy thing is the long bed is 7' 5" long 😬 thats crazy long for a mid size pickup.

attach268966.jpg

The 86 Mustang my son and I are working on. He came home from the hospital in it when he was born

this is Fox #5 for me

2 Mustangs
2 Capris
1 Zephyr

We also had 3 Fairmonts in the family, but none were mine.

Grandma bought a 65 gto brand new. They wouldn't let her get it with a tri power because that's be too much power for a little ol lady. My uncle went down and ordered a crate engine the next day and it's been in the car ever since, the stock 389 has been in that crate it came in.

My uncle let it sit outside in the west side so it rusted but he found NOS quarters for it so at least it's back to normal and indoors now.

'57 Thunderbird sitting in our basement. Father-in-law bought it new after his stint in the Marines during the Korean War. Still has all the original parts, and sales paperwork and owner's manual, etc., in the glovebox. Definitely needs a complete rebuild. But, my Mother-in-law has signed it over to my son for his 18th b'day, with the stipulation he not sell it. He is actively beginning research in restoration.

It's more tribute than driver. Dad built it in 69 and had it 30 years. I've had it for the last 20.

photo41814.jpg

My grandfather had 3 cars that are still around. A 60 something Malibu that my older cousin had restored, a 78 c10 that belongs to another cousin, and a 72 c10 that I have. The 78 was in great condition until a hurricane damaged the garage it was in, my 72 was the farm truck, and there isn’t a straight body panel on it.

67 Ranchero
it hasn't been in the family long, but will be
my grandpa has had big body rancheros since forever, his gentleman pickup was a 78 he bought almost new with a cab/ engine fire, and rebuilt with a T bird, all out, power seats, hideaway headlights, the whole mess:grinpimp:

10 years ago he was slowing down and not getting out of bed, so I got my grandma to sign some checks, found this one, then drug it from shop to shop, he never drove it, but got a few rides, and enjoyed visiting shops and talking about cars. He passed away in March, it belongs to my uncle now, but I think my daughter gets it next

I sold all my old stuff, I didn't want my kids to feel obligated to keep the things I thought were cool, but we'll build cars for them, and sell as life changes

photo36737.jpg

My YJ. Its still on the road. Lady had a full rebuild on it. I reach out to her now and then asking to buy it back. No luck so far.

🤣 yeah its not exactly the greatest truck ever, but it holds a special place, and honestly its been fairly reliable considering its age. The crazy thing is the long bed is 7' 5" long 😬 thats crazy long for a mid size pickup.

Do me a favour and check the cargo capacity on that truck. I swear to god I remember my old S-10 had a 1,500 lb load carrying capacity.

Do me a favour and check the cargo capacity on that truck. I swear to god I remember my old S-10 had a 1,500 lb load carrying capacity.

Holy shit! I just found a 65 page spec sheet on the 1984 S-10 online, and you're right.. 1500 lb payload :smokin:. See attachment.

Screenshot_20210112-205717_Drive.jpg

Got my hands on my grandfathers 83 GT. He ordered it and only racked up 12k miles on it while he had it. As soon as I got it, I cut the springs and added exhaust

dXQ0Y0ISQxeESA7Nnksn9g.jpg

That’s still in the family? Not really.

My brother has two of my dads trucks, but they’re nothing special and ragged out at this point.

My great uncles were bachelors and had an original 64 Ford F100 that I wish I had. It went to another relative. Who know where it it now.

1994 Explorer. Bought it new, brought daughter home from the hospital in it. Been modifying and wheeling it ever since.
1995-ish
Click image for larger version Name:	20181207_102408.jpg Views:	0 Size:	217.5 KB ID:	269104

2015-ish
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20150415_102426994 (Medium).jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.3 KB ID:	269105

Do boats count?
This was my Dad's pride and joy, I inherited it and its going to stay with me until I'm gone. Old school 1987 Miller jet boat with a marine block 454 that has never been in salt water. A family friend has one just like this, but red/yellow and with a Ford 460 engine. He did a bunch of mods to the engine and was bragging about how fast it was. The last trip my parents took it out to Lake Havasu (they would stay out there at least a month at a time) my Dad, as was his usual custom, took it to a boat shop in town to have it serviced prior to putting it in the water. My Mom was complaining that it took ten days to get the boat back. I went out there for a few days and as soon as I started the boat, I noticed it sounded and felt completely different. I looked over at him, he shushed me and said he would tell me about it later. Turns out, he had the shop go through the engine and rebuild the jet with performance parts. He says they bored out the motor, got at least 100 more HP. That boat is much faster than it used to be and coming back to the dock, I smoked his friend so bad I was idling through the no wake zone when he finally caught up with us. And that was after I got my Mom's "Alright Speed Racer, slow down". Good times, good times.
When I took it home
Click image for larger version Name:	20200409_142243.jpg Views:	0 Size:	417.7 KB ID:	269106

Dad teaching my daughter how to drive with Mom in the back. Dad died about three months later, Mom five years after that.
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20130505_130336_481.jpg Views:	0 Size:	349.4 KB ID:	269107

Man, my parents were cool.

Last edited:
Sadly, no. My dad found my brothers second mustang a few hours away while looking for who knows what on c.l.. Bought it for himself, '99 maybe, drives it occasionally in summer. He said it made more sense than looking for a 383 4 speed 68 charger. I disagree.

for the s10 guys, I've had enough concrete mix in the bed of an 89 to make the steering reeeeeeal light :homer:

I moved in with my grandparents when I was 14. When I was 15 they told me I could either have her pristine Caprice Classic or his 81 Dodge D100. So I chose the Dodge. It looked like a grandpa truck with super skinny white wagon wheels and a painted rear step bumper. So for my 16th birthday I got the windows tinted and started modifying it as much as I could afford as fast I could. Put some lowering shackles in the rear, a speaker box behind the seat and some chrome wheels with wide tires. Of course it was only a slant six, so it couldn't hardly get out of it's on way, but it looked cool to 16 yo me. Fast forward 10 years later and I built a 400 ci big block Mopar to go in it and put a 150 hp shot of nitrous just to be sure it was scary. I can still remember riding in the truck with my grandfather. It will never go anywhere as long as I'm alive.
0610161131a.jpg
0610161131.jpg
0610161144.jpg

I got my 1979 Malibu wagon from my father when he passed away back in 2013. He had the car my whole life, a lot of good memories with him in this car. Other than adding the wheels/tires, swapping out the original Saginaw 4 speed trans for a stronger T10 4 speed, and a couple small things to clean it up, the car is as he built it. I don't ever plan on changing it. I badly want to go boosted LS but for the sake of keeping it how my dad did it, I'll end up keeping the 396. I do want to throw in a 9" rear as the car desperately needs a spool or locker and I don't trust the stock 10 bolt.

I miss my dad like crazy but this car always helps that feeling when I wrench on it or drive it.

IMG_20201009_190957_672.jpg

Top Back Refresh