What's new

Extinguish that shit

Easily 6, if not 8 in the 24x30 garage. Probably 4 in the house and one in each 4x4. Hmmm.... should probably get one for the wife's car.

This is a fantastic reminder that I am failing... 1 in the RV, 1 in the boat, 1 in my trail truck... none in my house or shop.... So dumb, thanks for the reminder. I know what I will be getting myself for x-mas. Guess the Power Probe Kit will have to wait until my birthday.

Last edited:
A 2lb ABC on each floor (three), an additional 2.5lb ABC in the Kitchen, a 10lb ABC and a 10lb CO2 in the garage.

ABC suck and fail while your stuff burns.

You sure you don't mean Made in MEXICO extinguishers suck? ( I mean ABC is the category of fires they put out)

I just ordered some, and I had to search for mad in the USA extinguishers.

Also,I saw a Class K for kitchen fires, which I have never seen before

You sure you don't mean Made in MEXICO extinguishers suck? ( I mean ABC is the category of fires they put out)

I never heard of that but found some info:

Class K fires are those that are fueled by flammable liquids unique to cooking, such as cooking oils and greases that are vegetable and animal fat-based.

When these substances reach high temperatures, as they naturally do in the kitchen, a sudden and potentially volatile fire can easily ignite. They can rapidly spread due to the flammability of the substance.

Due to the high volume of cooking done in commercial kitchens (which include not only restaurants but cafeterias, food trucks, bakeries, and catering businesses as well), Class K fires are a common and constant threat. Therefore, for the safety of those in the kitchen as well as the patrons, it is vital that the correct fire extinguishers (as well as suppression systems) are in place. A Class K fire extinguisher can be used to extinguish fires that are fueled by flammable liquids unique to cooking, like cooking oils and greases.

You learn something new everyday! Wouldn't be a bad idea to have one of these in the kitchen anyways.

Three. One in the boat 2.5lbs, one in camper 2.5lbs, one in the garage 2.5lbs, one in the house in a closet next to the front door 10lbs. The only one I've honestly checked the charge on is the one in the boat to stay compliant. I should check the other two and honestly should put the garage one in the truck and buy another for the garage that would actually do something in case of a fire.

How many fire extinguishers do you own, where do you keep them, and what size?

No BULL SHIT. REALLY.
Not how many you wish you had.
Not how many you are suppose to have,.
Not how many you want.

But right now, how many that are in working order?

I've got several 5# and 10# around the house with a 20# in the garage, it helps that UL labels are so important that their legibility has an effect on said fire extinguisher.

1 in kitchen, 1 in garage, maybe 1 downstairs and 1 in the 4Runner. Probably should replace some

.... should probably get one for the wife's car.

Do you REALLY want to save the wife's car if it catches on fire?

This is the question I asked myself when I was going to buy a few for the shit I drive.

2x 5 lb ABC dry chem in the house - one in the kitchen, one between the reloading area and down the hallway from the master bedroom
10lb ABC in the shop
2.5gal water on the camping trailer
I have a small 1lb ABC for the car but haven't decided where to mount it in the dadwagon
2 crappy plastic head ones in the boat
And an old SCBA airpack charged in my master closet, but thats more if someone were to try and gas me or some large scale leak. 5 more scuba tanks full if need be down the hall.

My house is directly across the road from a hydrant. Been tempted to get 200ft of 1.5 line and a nozzle just in case. I have a hydrant wrench already

what size outlets? You'd need a reducer to go from the hydrant to 1.5 hose. You also need to find out what threads your local fd uses on their hoses. That will be important when ordering your reducer...

One in the kitchen of each house, two in my boat and I think...one at least in my garage, and maybe one in the sxs.

I have learned over the years that it’s better to be safe than sorry, unfortunately I don’t always apply the rules to myself.

3 on the groundfloor and 2 on the first floor in the house strategically placed, as in visual distance from several places, and fire escape ladders by the windows in each end of the house on the upper floor. All checked and replaced accordingly. I've seen things go up in flames and burned to the ground that could have been avoided if only there would have been an extinguisher there to use... I don't mind using 30 bucks to buy a new one everyother year, if I need it, it better work. And of course in all the cars, if I don't need it, maybe somebody else would be happy if I drive by and their car is on fire.

3 in the shop, one in the tractor shed, 4 in the house, one in each vehicle (minus the bikes).

Need more.

We use "class K" or "PKP" purple K powder in the navy for fuel fires. They are potassium bicarbonate. They will also completely fuck electrical wiring.

From wiki
Purple-K was developed by the United States Naval Research Laboratory in 1959, as an improvement over sodium bicarbonate for extinguishing oil and gasoline fires. It was named due to the characteristic lavender tint imparted to flames, owing to the potassium (chemical symbol "K") content

Have plenty of ABC type but~

Need CO2 DAVE!!

Three; one in the garage, one in the closet by the kitchen and another in the workshop. All are probably out of date...

what size outlets? You'd need a reducer to go from the hydrant to 1.5 hose. You also need to find out what threads your local fd uses on their hoses. That will be important when ordering your reducer...

Standard around here is dual 2.5s and a 4.5. Really you also want a 2.5 and 4.5 valve if you do that so it wouldn't either impede them connecting on arrival or your line get shut off while they did. However the goal of being that quick is that it never gets big enough to need an engine. Most fires when the resident notice them are small enough that a well directed garden hose can at least hold them at bay, give it 5-20 minutes for the FD to drive there and its exponentially worse. Being able to get a lot of GPM on it early goes a long way

Same with car fires. If you catch it right at first those little dry chems are ok. But once you can see flames coming out the hood and it won't touch it.

Daily Driver = 2.5#
Buggy = two 2.5# and one 5#
Garage = 2.5 GAL water, 20# CO2, 10# ABC, 5# Halon, 5# ABC, two 2.5# ABC, carbon fire welding blanket
House = 5# Halon
Cabin kitchen = two 2.5# ABC
Cabin Garage = 5# ABC

Water is really nice for A type easy to clean not normally damaging.
CO2 is clean as well but more expensive.
Halon is anything the water and CO2 cant handle.
ABC is a last resort as it destroys or makes a mess of everything. Fire might not be as damaging as the mess.
Fire blankets can be effective at preventing a fire and covering it up if it starts.

1 (2.5lb) in each of the crawlers,
2 (2.5lb) in the comp rig.
1 (5lb) in the tow rig.
1 (5lb) in the camper.
1 (20lb Halon) in the kitchen,
1 (10lb) in bedroom,
1 (2.5lb) by the fireplace in the living room.
6-7(5-20lb) in the garage scattered around (don't remember if I stole one to put in the camper),
2 (10lb) in the barn
However, none in my daily drivers.

1 (5lb) in my office at work, and 6 (5lb) strategically placed around the shop.

Sizes vary. All ABC.

2 in the shop
2 in the RV
1 in each van (3 vans)
2 in the house... that still need a home. They are currently in a box next to the couch in the living room, right by the kitchen entrance.

I have a 2.5 gallon water extinguisher and a 8lb dry chemical in the utility room of the house. Another 2.5 gallon water extinguisher and a 20lb co2 extinguisher in the garage. At the shop I have a couple more 20lb co2 extinguishers and a handfull of 2.5-5lb dry chemical extinguishers. I have a 20lb co2 for my service truck as well. I have a decent sized halon extinguisher on my New Holland small bale stacking wagon. Should probably put more of them on some other equipment as well...

I also gave my folks a 2.5gallon water extinguisher for their house, and maybe a co2 one too if I remember right. Hell I went on a kick of buying 20lb co2 tanks there for a while and just made 5 or 6 of them into extinguishers. Hell of a lot cheaper than a dedicated co2 extinguisher!

We use "class K" or "PKP" purple K powder in the navy for fuel fires. They are potassium bicarbonate. They will also completely fuck electrical wiring.

From wiki

I bought a pallet of that stuff at an auction one time. it was in 5 gallon buckets with lids on them. I think I finally just dumped the shit and kept the buckets. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh