What's new

Ever wonder why you keep insisting on building shit yourself?

Being MADE to buy chineezium adds to this issue!
built my last rig.
Property maint. Is it.
No more side work, or new projects!

Being made to buy Chinese? Shit, most of the people on here LOVE China harbor freight crappy tools. They can’t wait until the coupons come out to buy more China crap. Mays well just send their money directly to the Chinese red army.

Sadly now it’s very difficult to find stuff made elsewhere.

Lol. Report back how that goes...

Make a list and post it.
Then revise "completed" items upon your return. :lmao:

I've known him for a long time, he's helped me before and actually did a pretty good job.

I'm not sure about having him here while I'm gone, but the help is nice.
​​​​​

Long ago I tired of having anything done "in the manner which I asked" because half the time it was done the way THEY wanted to do it.

The other half was being the victim of shit workmanship.

Supershops mounted some tires for me and cracked a rim. Didn't fkg tell me about it.

Hired painters to stain the beekeepers shack with oil base, they used latex. Didn't fkg tell me about it.

Asked an electronics shop to reuse certain parts doing an upgrade for me. Omitted some of those parts entirely. Didn't fkg tell me about it.

Fuck ppl. I learned to do my own shit whenever possible and it pays ten-fold every fkg day.

This, so much this. Nobody can do anything fucking right...it's very rare that I get a contractor or hire something out where I'm actually 100% satisfied with the work and that's even going in with a money no object approach (e.g. I'm not cheaping out).

I often wonder why I continue to start projects. And why I keep doing everything myself. And how nice it would be to just move into an apartment and drive an econobox...... Then I realize how fucking boring that would be!

I hired a full time personal assistant for a few months and it was the greatest thing ever. He quit on me though because the gay neighbor wouldn't stop hitting on him

It's good to see others with the same diy retardation issues

I've often said to my missus there's something wrong with me

I've got to know how everything works, then make a project with it.
It's like some stupid spirit posseses me.
Why the fuck can't I let it go and just watch tv or summin?
Stick with the one interest?

Just cannot sit still for long, doing nothing

Actually, there's no way I could have afforded to pay anyone to fix the bikes, cars and stuff, as I went through those sports. Had to do it all myself. No choice.

There's the usual vehicle projects, but then I went and jumped down the rabbit hole of programming, making Android apps, electronic micro controller projects and crap.
Easily spent over two thousand hours punching out 'Hello Worlds' type shit all over the place alone.

And what the fuck for? You can buy any app I've made for under $19.

You can get any electronic thing I've made for one tent of the time I've put in.

My main hobby is collecting hobbies.

WTF

It's annoying as all hell

Over here, you can't do much at all to vehicles as far as worthwhile mods go.
I'm on a waiting list for a local vehicel engineer. It's six weeks of waiting, just for the first consult... so in the mean time, I'll start another project

I have the same problem. Wife wants a "shed". We go and look at them this weekend she finds one that she likes. It is decent and not a terrible price. But I can build it bigger and better for cheaper. So, I have a pile of lumber being delivered tomorrow.

Because if you want something done right you'll have to do it yourself.

this.

I won't even take my shit to a mechanic, because it always seems to come back to me with an issue that it didn't have previously.
or I find some hacked up bullshit because a guy was trying to get his 6 hours of book time in 3.

I have the same problem. Wife wants a "shed". We go and look at them this weekend she finds one that she likes. It is decent and not a terrible price. But I can build it bigger and better for cheaper. So, I have a pile of lumber being delivered tomorrow.

I got paid to build one of the kit sheds. It was hands down a terrible idea. Same dude wanted another shed. We flat out told him we will charge you exactly what you spent on labor and the shed kit. Build it with our materials of choice (matching the other shed of course) and you will have a bigger stronger shed. He got a awesome shed we made $250 extra each and everyone way happy.

I think a lot of it depends on what your skill set is. Hammer and nails I am good to go no worries within reason of course. Basic mechanical same thing, but fabricating something from metal that involves safety or structural considerations are currently above my pay grade so I would pay for that. Ok I should pay for that but I am cheap. :homer:

I've learned that 90% of the time when I have a problem I can teach myself how to do it and buy tools/equipment/materials and then come out with a better result and save money. It might take me a lot longer but oh well, I like the feeling I get when I do it.

Except painting. I have no problem hiring that out

What I never understood is I have customers who are auto techs take their family's cars to us to fix and do maintenance. I ain't complaining but I can't comprehend it.

What I never understood is I have customers who are auto techs take their family's cars to us to fix and do maintenance. I ain't complaining but I can't comprehend it.

Some people just don't like working on cars / maintenance etc... any time I ask myself I think I know the answer...

Because it happens OVER and OVER and OVER again. That part I get. Routine maintenance shit gets mundane.

Because if you want something done right you'll have to do it yourself.

That's pretty much it.

Sometimes it's "I don't see how they get that much money for that job".

I don't mind paying.

I don't even mind paying "too much".

But I resent getting robbed for work I could do better myself.

Recently I got a quote for some roofing work. I've done 3/4 of my roof about four years ago, so I know what it entails. Two guys for two days and $1200 worth of materials. The quote was five grand.

I guess Ill be doing it myself.

It's stupid how much money it costs to hire the guy that will do it right. It's cheap to hire the guy to do it, that you'll be disappointed in.

I keep doing silly shit. Keeps me busy, and away from the TV. Some days I look around at the projects and just jump in the truck, swing by my Dad's and grab the boat, and fish all damn day ignoring everything.
The next day I actually feel like working on crap again.

I've discovered my kids are old enough to help. They're not very excited about it, but they're learning how to be competent.

Some people just don't like working on cars / maintenance etc... any time I ask myself I think I know the answer...

Because it happens OVER and OVER and OVER again. That part I get. Routine maintenance shit gets mundane.

Yep. And the last thing I want to do when I get home, is do exactly what I do at work.

If they don't like working on cars. Why the fuck they a tech at a dealership :confused:

Yep, it is. I do alot of sublet work for surrounding dealerships when they cannot solve an issue on a car. Maybe they feel like we are superior techs to the dealership parts changers. :laughing:

Problem solving.

I get paid very well to take on the biggest problems, and I'm happy to be known as the one they resort to when they can't gloss over certain difficulties.

I do it because I enjoy it.

I like the challenge of building something myself and like being able to put my own spin on it. I really enjoy that conceptualization stage and starting to nail down how it should be designed. The build stage allows me to hone my skill set and learn new skills. Getting it done makes me feel like I've accomplished something in life, for whatever that's worth.

I stay pretty focused on builds though. I think that is one thing that seperates me out from most. I was talking with a friend the other day and we both started talking about how you can start anything, but its nothing until its finished.

I'd say if your not enjoying things then figure out a way to change it. Life is too short to not be happy.

Kevin

Yep, it is. I do alot of sublet work for surrounding dealerships when they cannot solve an issue on a car. Maybe they feel like we are superior techs to the dealership parts changers. :laughing:

since you changed my wiper blades, my brakes squeal

since you changed my brakes for free, all my radio stations are gone

since you changed my headlights, my transmission makes noise

you think they want that shit from family, for free, on Saturday night?

Top Back Refresh