What's new

Ever forget about a gun?

Member Number
So the George Busch stimulus check bought me a ruger m77 hawkeye .223. The gun feels like it was built for me. I stuck a trigger in it and shot the hell out of it. Then it got put in the corner, for several years.

Took it out today and shot it a bit. Damn if I didn't forget how much I like that gun. Thinking the tikka might stay at home for deer season. Anybody else forget about a gun?
Resized_20220925_142305.jpeg

Kinda. Hardly ever think of my early Ruger 44 carbine. Sometimes when I get into the safe I'll take it out. Never fails to remind me how sweet it is. Light, quick to shoulder and familiar to the touch. This post made me do a mental inventory. First piece I thought of.

Forgot I had one I stuffed under my car seat until getting searched to go on base for a VA appointment.

They acted like I was the next Allah Snackbar terrorist and they were saving the base.

It had like an 1/8" layer of dirt and dog hair on it, had been there several years.

They couldn't understand how someone could lose a gun and why I hadn't reported it.

Told them it wasn't lost, I never noticed it was gone. Not like I'm doing a quarterly inventory of my stuff.
When my place was for sale the realtor asked in passing if there was "a" gun in the house, as it needed to go away for showings.
I told her I didn't have time to get a uhaul to get all the guns and ammo gone... she thought I was joking.

Last edited:
The Model 94 my Dad passed down to me when I was twelve, or so, on a hunting trip with him. Hasn't been out of the safe in over 40 years since the last time we went "hunting". Less than two boxes of ammo through it, total...

I had a Craigslist trade setup for a dirt bike and my H&R .17 rifle. I took the gun to my dads in the mid cities to make it easy for the other guy to meet half way. He ended up ghosting the deal and so the rifle styed in my dads gun cabinet, for awhile...

Well one afternoon I stopped by my dads on the way home to see him and my mom. Well he goes and grabs that rifle and says here take this back home. While technically we aren't supposed to have guns in the company service truck so I put it in my Torch compartment, its easy to hid behind the oxygen bottle. It must have been so easy I forgot about it when I got home.

SEVERAL years go by and I am getting my trucks chassis replaced but I have to clean my bed out to have it shipped off for the bed swap.
While cleaning out that torch/bottle compartment I find that rifle...
I can't even begin to tell you all the places I took that rifle that was federally firearm prohibited but I think the most critical was the Comanche Peak nuclear power plant. :lmao:

I "lost" a pistol once. Went camping and had it in the camper. Thought I put it in the console of the truck for the drive home. We turned the house upside down looking for it. Filed a police report that I lost it. "We thought that I might have left it in the console and wife used valet parking at KU Med hospital for a Dr visit and it got swiped". I am a Fed contractor so I was damn nervous.. Few months go by and I find it in a plastic tote with some camping gear. Apparently I put it in the tote when we were packing up to head home and forgot. :homer:

That was pretty embarrassing to call the local PD and un-report it lost/stolen. :homer:

I do that all the time. I am on a trap shooting league. Always trying for those perfect rounds can take the fun out of it and swapping guns is never good for your scores. So I usually shoot a Remington 3200 with 32" barrels and fixed full chokes. This thing weighs like 15 pounds.

When we do other events like 5 stand or sporting clays I will shoot an old 1187 I have 26" barrel. Or an 1100 with 28" barrel, These guns are so light and easy shooting, easy to swing. I am like dang I forgot how much I love shooting these semi autos. The feel and sound of the gun cycling. Always loved that. Kind of like an AR
Reminds you of why you started shooting sporting events, It can be fun. Not all work.

Glad you found some joy in it again. Like Christmas all over.

Forgot I had one I stuffed under my car seat until getting searched to go on base for a VA appointment.

They acted like I was the next Allah Snackbar terrorist and they were saving the base.

It had like an 1/8" layer of dirt and dog hair on it, had been there several years.

They couldn't understand how someone could lose a gun and why I hadn't reported it.

Told them it wasn't lost, I never noticed it was gone. Not like I'm doing a quarterly inventory of my stuff.
When my place was for sale the realtor asked in passing if there was "a" gun in the house, as it needed to go away for showings.
I told her I didn't have time to get a uhaul to get all the guns and ammo gone... she thought I was joking.

What was the outcome of the “hidden gun” ?

I bought a 22 Ruger pistol and a bunch of rounds years ago. Only shot it a few times. Hid it real good. I thought I hid it in a motor home I had. I searched for days before selling it. Never found it to this day. Still have a couple bricks of bullets.

I do that all the time. I am on a trap shooting league. Always trying for those perfect rounds can take the fun out of it and swapping guns is never good for your scores. So I usually shoot a Remington 3200 with 32" barrels and fixed full chokes. This thing weighs like 15 pounds.
We got into shooting chinese trap a while back. I was doing allright with the old pump 20ga. But the guy that had been kicking my ass all summer let me shoot a round with his shotgun. First time I ever shot a purpose built shotgun like that. Single barrel Perazzi, Stupid long barrel with the tall rib, and a release trigger.

It was eye opening. It swung so slow I never thought I would catch the bird. But my god it was hard to miss with that gun. Went home, got on gun broker to buy one. And realized that me and him were operating on 2 very different budgets

We got into shooting chinese trap a while back. I was doing allright with the old pump 20ga. But the guy that had been kicking my ass all summer let me shoot a round with his shotgun. First time I ever shot a purpose built shotgun like that. Single barrel Perazzi, Stupid long barrel with the tall rib, and a release trigger.

It was eye opening. It swung so slow I never thought I would catch the bird. But my god it was hard to miss with that gun. Went home, got on gun broker to buy one. And realized that me and him were operating on 2 very different budgets
LOL I was in the exact same boat. Thought no way it matters, but I am tall, long arms, clumsy. The long gun really helped me out.
Trap is such a different animal than any of the other clay events. It looks way easier but for me it was actually harder. Scored 100 on sporting clays, have yet to make 100 in a row on trap.

I never was serious enough to shoot trap. Had a lot of fun shooting skeet and sporting clays. Chinese trap was always my favorite. We would bait one of the serious trap guys over every once in a while and watch him have a melt down shooting that. The mechanical skeet shooters were fun to fuck with too

I have not really forgotten a gun, but I have to remind myself to pull them all out of the RV or trail rig when I get home from a trip. I have a mini-safe in the RV that holds up to 4 pistols, and that's where I have taken to leaving spare keys. When I get the keys, I see the pistols and take them out too.

I never was serious enough to shoot trap. Had a lot of fun shooting skeet and sporting clays. Chinese trap was always my favorite. We would bait one of the serious trap guys over every once in a while and watch him have a melt down shooting that. The mechanical skeet shooters were fun to fuck with too
So what is "chinese trap"? When I google it just brings up a bunch of chinks with shotguns haha.

So what is "chinese trap"? When I google it just brings up a bunch of chinks with shotguns haha.
They would set the trap on wobble. You shoot from the skeet positions. You cant leave the station until you hit the bird. See how many times you can go around before you run out of shells.

They would set the trap on wobble. You shoot from the skeet positions. You cant leave the station until you hit the bird. See how many times you can go around before you run out of shells.
Oh, same thing as scrap. Gotcha

had to look it up, but yea seems like the same thing. Its a game designed for heckler's.

Always loved watching one of the super serious trap guys, after they missed for 6 times in a row. Watch that gun snap closed a lil harder after every shot.

had to look it up, but yea seems like the same thing. Its a game designed for heckler's.

Always loved watching one of the super serious trap guys, after they missed for 6 times in a row. Watch that gun snap closed a lil harder after every shot.
LOL yep some people are too serious.

We play till last man standing. Out of shells, our done, sit down.

Had a kid one night didn't know the rules, he won. First time playing ever. Only to find out later he didn't know he couldn't open a second box.

We do a lot of anne oakly the same way. miss and get sent to the end of the line, those guys inherently shoot more and run out of shells first.
Fun to listen to everyone hanging on the 3rd guys shot.

got a tt33 that I rebarrelled to 9x25 dillon

didn't really lose it, just hadn't gone looking for it for a decade or more
finally looked in the coffee can that was sitting behind my computer monitor for years and oh hey neat, I gotta get around to making a compensator for that thing because it is absolutely going to crack the slide if I shoot it much more

wanna make something that looks sorta like the one on a SVT/PSL but a bit shorter
prolly never get around to it

9x25 dillon. never heard of that one before. Very interesting
the idea was ultra high velocities, but I realized too late that there are no muzzleloader sabots available for .38, while there are sabots available for .30, so I'd have been better off staying with the .30 bore, just with more case behind it.

Not mine, a friend that lived with first ex-wife left a few guns with me when she got to being too "crazy". He picked up most over the years, one at a time. Belgium Browning 20 ga , I swore he had got it. He never pressed. 15years later I find a gun sleeve stuck back in a hidie hole . The fuckin Browning. He was like , I knew you would find it one day. I was feeling bad and glad.

Not mine, a friend that lived with first ex-wife left a few guns with me when she got to being too "crazy". He picked up most over the years, one at a time. Belgium Browning 20 ga , I swore he had got it. He never pressed. 15years later I find a gun sleeve stuck back in a hidie hole . The fuckin Browning. He was like , I knew you would find it one day. I was feeling bad and glad.
That's a good friend.

I know where there is a used Perazzi SCO Extra in 28 gauge for sale. $38,000. They also have a .410 SCO Extra. $44,000:laughing:

I know where there is a used Perazzi SCO Extra in 28 gauge for sale. $38,000. They also have a .410 SCO Extra. $44,000:laughing:

This would have been around 2006. It was something like $17k without the release trigger, and other extras. I had no idea guns could cost that much

This would have been around 2006. It was something like $17k without the release trigger, and other extras. I had no idea guns could cost that much

We shoot with a really nice older guy, retired fire chief. Buddy of my dad's. He shoots a krieghoff with a LOT of work done to it. Custom 372 way adjustable stock, all happy and set for him. Another buddy's wife was bitching about him spending $3200 on some flavour of citori. Told her to shush and showed her the gunbroker listing for Krieghoffs. She did not shush.:laughing: In fact, she became much less shushed than we had hoped.

Top Back Refresh