What's new

Engine machine work/repair question. Sleeves, etc.

DMG

Red Skull Member
Member Number
So I have an awd Honda Acty street. It has a 3 cylinder motor behind the front seats that is more or less half a goldwing flat 6. I got it from a friend after he tried to fix it and it overheated. It was burning coolant ( white exhaust)

It is an aluminum block with sleeves. Open deck design. There is a small crack in the block outside of one sleeve.

is the motor junk? Can it be tig welded? I am going to send the head out to be pressure tested but would rather not have to buy a short block if it is saveable.

I'm imagining something like a D series honda, or a mod motor ford where the iron sleeve is cast into the aluminum block, then there is the coolant and then aluminum on the outside

there are people that bore the sleeve out, and take the aluminum supporting the sleeve out too, then run separate individual steel sleeves directly in the coolant, it is real high-zoot shit though. You'd be making the liners all from scratch too, so retarded expensive.

cracked aluminium outside a sleeve? yeah, i'd say stop drill, grind and weld then machine it for a new sleeve and roll on

but it really probably would be cheaper to get a new block if you can find one

Yeah you need a new block... or something...

But let's have pictures of that machine, they're pretty cool.

20200915_135502.jpg
so here is the vehicle

Try tig welding the block. At worst you still need a new block, but if that does the trick you will be money ahead of the game.

Serious question, have you owned this before it was a piece of shit?

I asked about daihatsu mini trucks 4 years ago on the old site, the people who had experience told me to run, everybody else said goferit "awesome" "bitchin". The day I sold the last one ranks with finalizing divorce and completing probation.

fuck those things

I asked about daihatsu mini trucks 4 years ago on the old site, the people who had experience told me to run, everybody else said goferit "awesome" "bitchin". The day I sold the last one ranks with finalizing divorce and completing probation.

fuck those things

:lmao:

I’d try to lace it. (I think some people call it stitching)

Drill it, tap it, insert the stitches, and grind

Last edited:

fuck those things

The previous owner is a good friend. He drove it back from Florida and used it for a couple of years. It is a fuel injected Honda motor, not a daihatsu.

Wing motors are an odd shape. Also the driveshaft comes out in a really poor place.

This motor is almost certainly half of a efi goldwing flat six, from the reading I have done

The previous owner is a good friend. He drove it back from Florida and used it for a couple of years. It is a fuel injected Honda motor, not a daihatsu.

"Was a good friend until he sold me this":flipoff2:

Looks like a fun project. It looks like that crack runs lower on the cylinder than you can weld but hard to really know from here.

How much is a new/used block? I'd rather swap that than try my luck with welding aluminum.

"Was a good friend until he sold me this":flipoff2:

Looks like a fun project. It looks like that crack runs lower on the cylinder than you can weld but hard to really know from here.

How much is a new/used block? I'd rather swap that than try my luck with welding aluminum.

Still a good friend. I bought it with the head off, after helping him find the crack. He sold it to me for a very fair price.

I’d try to lace it. (I think some people call it stitching)

Drill it, tap it, insert the stitches, and grind
you've got some really small fingers and tools to be able to do that inside an 8mm wide water jacket

I'd concrete the block right up to within 1/2" of the deck
hone it out for real wide piston/wall clearance especially if it ain't got squirters
the liner ain't cracked, right?

Last edited:
With all the goldwing talk, I had to check, your engine is probably 660cc maybe a E07A depending on year, when the goldwing went boxer 6 it was 1520cc and stayed there for years, doesn't math out, maybe if you can match the bore, and bore spacing you'll get lucky and can use goldwing gaskets, you're looking at like $175 for a gasket kit alone on that

fuck those things

:lmao:

Top Back Refresh